Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
So I got the marware case in just a bit ago. i really like it. Think i like the most is the elastic strap on the inside front cover, so when you fold the front cover back you can slip your left hand in there to hold it in your left hand easily. Sweet....
Oh I love the hand hold on their covers. I use it all the time! It's a must for the K4 one handed page turning.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #47
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I got my case today. It's a case logic and I picked it up at Walmart for 5.98. The case is hard and protects the kindle very well. there aren't too many angles to prop it up but for the price I didn't mind. The KF is fastened in with elastic straps, which I prefer since I take my kindles out of the cases often to use my Levo stand. It also has a full zipper. I like the zippers since I tend to carry my kindles in my purse along with several of my kiddos action figures . Anyhow I thought I would share my case!

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-ETC...480282&sr=8-51
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402[1].jpg
Views:	279
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	79061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0403[1].jpg
Views:	376
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	79062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404[1].jpg
Views:	408
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	79063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412[2].jpg
Views:	398
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	79064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411[1].jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	79065  
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #48
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Timbuk2 is pricey but looks pretty nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Kindle...481094&sr=1-13
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #49
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I just found this custom leather case maker on another forum - looks like good quality at a price not much more than something like a marware ($54):

Http://www.etsy.com/shop/joevleather

PS curse the Fire's lack of copy/paste and stupid spellcheck that interferes with urls
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #50
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Fire has copy & paste...
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #51
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Fire has copy & paste...
Really? How? I've been trying to figure out how to do it with no avail, but I'm an Android noob so I'm probably missing something obvious.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #52
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I too am using the marware case - the elastic hand strap is fantastic!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Really? How? I've been trying to figure out how to do it with no avail, but I'm an Android noob so I'm probably missing something obvious.
To copy touch and hold on a word until a dialog box appears then choose the appropriate option such as Select or Select All. The word(s) are then highlighted, so now you can drag the sides of the highlighting to ensure you select all the words you want highlighted. Now touch and hold on the highlighted text until a dialog box appears and choose Copy.

To paste touch and hold where you want to paste the text until a dialog box appears and choose Paste.

This is pretty standard with touchscreen interfaces like iOS and Android. It probably works it bit better in iOS, but it works okay in Android too.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-17-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #54
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
PS curse the Fire's lack of copy/paste and stupid spellcheck that interferes with urls
Spellcheck on touchscreen interfaces is notoriously annoying, even on iOS. You think you typed one thing, send your email or text message, then realize the spellcheck chaged a word or two, often very awkwardly! Haven't checked in the Fire yet, but most OS have settings where you can make it behave better or simply turn it off.

EDIT: You can turn this On or Off by selecting Quick Menu --> More --> Kindle Keyboard, then for the Quick Fixes option select On or Off.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-17-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #55
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
To copy touch and hold on a word until a dialog box appears...
Okay, I don't mean to threadjack here, but this isn't working right for me. I can do that sometimes with URLs but on web pages and in emails, I only get a highter slider thing. If I tap on it the selected text is "copied to clipboard" but no ccp dialog box appears if I tap-n-hold. And good luck trying to past - I must be doing something wrong, but even when I have text in the clipboard, I can't get it to paste anywhere - no ccp dialog box appears in notes programs, new emails, etc.

Quote:
Spellcheck on touchscreen interfaces is notoriously annoying...
I know it can be turned off. Smart spellcheckers know when you start a sentence with http://www that they shouldn't spell check anything contiguous to that. I think the Fire does that for email addresses and URLs in the To: field or in the address bar, but not in other places. That's not so smart. And I don't want to turn it off because I actually think the rest of the spellchecker is pretty good!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #56
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Okay, I don't mean to threadjack here, but this isn't working right for me. I can do that sometimes with URLs but on web pages and in emails, I only get a highter slider thing. If I tap on it the selected text is "copied to clipboard" but no ccp dialog box appears if I tap-n-hold. And good luck trying to past - I must be doing something wrong, but even when I have text in the clipboard, I can't get it to paste anywhere - no ccp dialog box appears in notes programs, new emails, etc.

I know it can be turned off. Smart spellcheckers know when you start a sentence with http://www that they shouldn't spell check anything contiguous to that. I think the Fire does that for email addresses and URLs in the To: field or in the address bar, but not in other places. That's not so smart. And I don't want to turn it off because I actually think the rest of the spellchecker is pretty good!
I haven't used Copy & Paste in the email app or browser, so I don't know. But one thing is for sure, Android is NOT as elegant and smooth to use as iOS, sadly.

It seems to me that you are extremely unhappy with your Fire. I think a lot of that is due to Android being Android! It is not a well thought out OS. After all it was written by a search engine company. It took me a long time to warm up to it, and over a year later I still curse it out on a daily basis. But it is an open alternative to the horribly closed iOS culture and system. If you cannot get the Fire to work for you, and it kind of looks like that is the case, then perhaps you should send it back. It was only $200 and there is no way it could ever compete against an iPad or Android tablet costing at least 2.5 times more.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #57
weatherman
Addict

Yes, I know I'm being a bit of a loudmouth about the bugs and idiosyncrasies of the Fire. But the way I see it this isn't an Android device, this is a Kindle, and as such it should behave to the standards of Amazon. I don't find that it does - at least not yet. I'm not comparing it to the iPad or any other device specifically, but to a long history of devices that I've had that I've loved right out of the box, starting with the Palm III. I hold Amazon to that standard because they have done so well with Kindles in the past, and this bears the mark of the Kindle.

I might send it back, and I might get a different Android device. I'm forcing myself to use only the Fire around the house to see if I can acclimate (as you seem to have) to the new system and if I can live with it until things improve.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #58
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Here are some photos of this cover.

Pros:
  • Thin
  • Light weight
  • Sturdy
  • Durable
  • Very good protection
  • Leather and good quality materials

Cons:
  • A bit pricey at $39.99

I do recommend this case.

That looks really nice.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #59
weatherman
Addict

I found this case today - a knockoff of the Dodo case, but with a leather exterior. It's a little pricey ($60) but I think the wood frame is both elegant and would provide a better grip, and the leather on the outside is really what I want.

http://www.padandquill.com/

UPDATE: Apparently it's slightly cheaper if you order through Etsy instead - saves $5 on shipping and you get a free "pocket" in the cover ($7 value).

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86395424...blet-hard-case

Last edited by weatherman; 11-18-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #60
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I found this case today - a knockoff of the Dodo case, but with a leather exterior. It's a little pricey, but I think the wood frame is both elegant and would provide a better grip, and the leather on the outside is really what I want.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86395424...blet-hard-case
Hmmm, this looks really practical. One thing I don't like about the temporary cover I'm using now is, constantly touching the black frame of the screen. It takes away from the reading experience because it feels cold and device-like. I'm considering a glove-like cover so my hands will touch material instead. I passed on the Oberon because my hands would still touch the black frame of the screen.

A better grip is what I want as well, but my concern is how comfortable will it be to hold folded back? There's a photo with it folded back. Seems like it may be awkward. Plus the weight.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote