Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Should I be afraid that 3.2.1 will break my Kindle?

Hello!

Currently using a Kindle3 Wifi model running fw 3.1

I have installed the jailbreak and a screensaver hack.

As I understand the Kindle can update itself during night automatically and there is no way to prevent it, so if Amazon pushes out 3.2.1, will this put my Kindle at risk of being bricked? Is it advised to uninstall hacks at this time?
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapt0 View Post
Hello!

Currently using a Kindle3 Wifi model running fw 3.1

I have installed the jailbreak and a screensaver hack.

As I understand the Kindle can update itself during night automatically and there is no way to prevent it, so if Amazon pushes out 3.2.1, will this put my Kindle at risk of being bricked? Is it advised to uninstall hacks at this time?
keep wifi off and sideload your books.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
For the case of 3.1, the installer was available from the website for several days before the Amazon started pushing out the updates over wireless. If you want to be on the super safe side, you should just keep your wireless connection off at all times. However, there is a good chance that the new version will be available for download from Amazon's website before it is automatically installed.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrock View Post
keep wifi off and sideload your books.
That's not possible as I am receiving digests from a number of sources (Instapaper, other newspapapers) via the email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
For the case of 3.1, the installer was available from the website for several days before the Amazon started pushing out the updates over wireless. If you want to be on the super safe side, you should just keep your wireless connection off at all times. However, there is a good chance that the new version will be available for download from Amazon's website before it is automatically installed.
You talk about preventive measures, are you saying it is likely that the update will brick the Kindle if it happens?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I really don't think a big company such as Amazon will push an update which breaks the jailbroken devices. Because if they do so, they will replace the bricked devices which will surely cost a lot. The most this update can do will be making the jailbreak useless.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
My understanding is that updates will only come by WiFi and not 3G. Am I right?
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
I really don't think a big company such as Amazon will push an update which breaks the jailbroken devices. Because if they do so, they will replace the bricked devices which will surely cost a lot. The most this update can do will be making the jailbreak useless.
They are under absolutely no obligation to replace them. The user has broken the user agreement, which clearly states:

Quote:
No Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, Disassembly, or Circumvention. You may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Kindle or the Software, whether in whole or in part, create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Kindle or Software or any mechanisms operatively linked to the Software, for example, by augmenting or substituting any digital rights management functionality of the Kindle or Software.
and then:

Quote:
Termination. Your rights under this Agreement will automatically terminate if you fail to comply with any term of this Agreement. In case of such termination, you must cease all use of the Software, and Amazon may immediately revoke your access to the Service or to Digital Content without refund of any fees. Amazon's failure to insist upon or enforce your strict compliance with this Agreement will not constitute a waiver of any of its rights.
Plainly, therefore, if you modify the software, you have agreed to stop using it, and that Amazon are perfectly within their rights to terminate your service without any form of refund.

This is the chance you take by jailbreaking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
My understanding is that updates will only come by WiFi and not 3G. Am I right?
It seems to depend. The 3.1 update only came by WiFi, but the earlier ones were delivered by 3G, also. I imagine that minor patches would come by 3G. Guess it depends how large an update this one is.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Is there anything interesting in the new update?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Is there anything interesting in the new update?
I don't believe so; it was brought out primarily to support the ad-supported Kindle. Presumably the main change is support for displaying a specific screensaver at a designated date.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe so; it was brought out primarily to support the ad-supported Kindle. Presumably the main change is support for displaying a specific screensaver at a designated date.
Are they going to make everyone have adverts?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No; it is, by all accounts, also the firmware version in currently-sold "normal" Kindles, too. I guess it makes sense to try to have the same firmware in all Kindles.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
khromov
Connoisseur

Is there any way to avoid the update, maybe with a hack?

Also, why are people in general not worried about this? Am I the only one who uses the wifi functionality to receive Calibre news feeds etc?

Custom screensavers are nice but it's definitely not worth the risk of bricking your device at any point?

I have a wifi Kindle 3 so I can't guarantee it won't update as it's connected to the wifi at home.

Last edited by khromov; 07-07-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
That's not possible as I am receiving digests from a number of sources (Instapaper, other newspapapers) via the email address.

You talk about preventive measures, are you saying it is likely that the update will brick the Kindle if it happens?
Nobody knows for sure. I'd hate to be the one to say no and be wrong.

Quote:
Is there any way to avoid the update, maybe with a hack?

Also, why are people in general not worried about this? Am I the only one who uses the wifi functionality to receive Calibre news feeds etc?

Custom screensavers are nice but it's definitely not worth the risk of bricking your device at any point?

I have a wifi Kindle 3 so I can't guarantee it won't update as it's connected to the wifi at home.
Maybe this post will solve your worries:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122000

Last edited by kranu; 07-07-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: changed link to updated version
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
khromov
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Nobody knows for sure. I'd hate to be the one to say no and be wrong.
Maybe this post will solve your worries:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...45&postcount=2
Thanks, more specifically I found this post that seems to solve all my worries:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=35

(In short, put an empty file called ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES in the root of your Kindle.)

The NiLuJe hack is the one that is found on this page: (Which I assume most people who just swing by to install the jailbreak/screensaver hack use.)
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...Jailbreak_Hack

Last edited by khromov; 07-07-2011 at 06:10 PM.