Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
purcelljf
Enthusiast
purcelljf began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
iBooks not displaying entry for "Cover" in TOC

Hi all,
I am somewhat experienced with the technical make-up of an EPUB so anyone helping me can use "code speak" about the xhtml or xml files if they want.

I use Atlantis WordProcessor to create EPUBs for my IPOD. This problem I am describing is unique to the iBook app on my IPOD since I am getting the desired result when I use Stanza on my IPOD or the Calibre E-reader on my desktop.

I have a number of images at the start of my EPUB, all of which I can get to display in the TOC of my reading device except for the very first image which is the actual cover image. Since the "cover" entry displays fine in the TOC of my Stanza app or in my desktop application I know this is something weird about the i-books app.

I was just curious if anyone has experienced this and has a work around for it?

Thanks.
purcelljf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Unzip your epub and extract the content.opf and toc.ncx files then attach them to a post and we can take a look (they won't contain any copyrighted information).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
purcelljf
Enthusiast

TOC problem

Please see attached files. I renamed the toc file with a txt extension since I was getting an error on upload.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (6.7 KB, 532 views)
File Type: txt toc.txt (5.6 KB, 440 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
purcelljf
Enthusiast

I should also mention that in the content.opf file in the spine section I have removed the "linear="no" statement" from the file and had the same result. So that is not the problem apparently.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Hmm, nevermind, I see you say you've tried removing the linear attribute. The toc structure looks fine, so it might be an issue in the code for that file. Does the cover display at all in iBooks?

Last edited by charleski; 09-24-2010 at 01:02 PM.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
ConorHughes
ConorHughes began at the beginning.

Device: All of the above
make sure your cover file has no spaces or otherwise questionable characters. that one drove me crazy for some time.
ConorHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
purcelljf
Enthusiast

Charleski,

The Cover displays fine when I open the book for the first time in i-Books, but I like the ability to bring up a TOC and get back to the cover without having to page backwords from another TOC entry.

It is not a big deal really. Just a minor annoyance. Thanks for having looked at it though.

Tags
ibooks