Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #23041
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Your handiwork is amazing, Stitchawl. You seem to be awfully capable, is there anything you don't know or can't do?
Thanks! Yes, there is a LOT that I don't know... yet.
Fortunately, there is still time to learn!

Quote:
And congratulations, Stitchawl and Blues
Thanks again!

Quote:
On a totally unrelated topic, is it recommended to remove the preinstalled screen protector on Sony phone? It gets scratches, dust and fingerprints too easily and that's just annoying to apply another sceen protector on top of the preinstalled one. Anyone using Sony smartphone here?
Every device I've ever bought that had a touch screen came with a plastic protector over the screen that needed to be removed. I prefer the Zagg Screen Protectors, and have used them for years on the screen of my digital cameras, phones, and even on my e-reader. They are a bit more expensive to buy, but very easy to put on, even for a 'sticky-stuff challenged' person like me, and are damn near bomb-proof! Almost impossible to scratch unless you take an ice pick to it and really press hard, and comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-16-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #23042
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
No, the preinstalled screen protector I was talking about is supposed to prevent the screen from shattering when dropped. It's glued on a scratch-resistant screen, but it gets scratched easily :-| (I had no idea Sony is that crazy). That's why I want to pry it loose to apply sth like the one you recommended, Stitchawl.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #23043
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
If the Paperwhite's activation switch functions the same way as the Kobo's, it's EASY to fix that problem. All you need is a thin magnet and some tape (or thin leather) the same color as your cover. The most powerful magnets can be found inside old dead hard drives, above and below the base of the read/write arm. Only 2mm thick and VERY, VERY strong! On the Kobo, the activation 'point' is just under the screen on the lower left side. The magnet inside the cover of the Sleep case is embedded into the case, but you can use the thin magnet taped to the inside of your case. Just locate the correct position under the screen, and tape the magnet to your case in the proper place. If you can't get a hard drive magnet, Radio Shack sells good ones too, just not as strong. The real key is to use a thin one... Duct tape will cover the magnet, holding it in place. Just be sure to activate the correct setting to use the sleep/wake feature. Open the case, wake up the device. Close the case, put it to sleep. No problem.

Stitchawl
Same system, so far as I can tell. The idea of taking it out of an old HD is perfect. Goodness knows I have LOTS of those around. I'll try it. The cover IS heavier than the one from Amazon, but a LOT nicer.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #23044
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Same system, so far as I can tell. The idea of taking it out of an old HD is perfect. Goodness knows I have LOTS of those around. I'll try it. The cover IS heavier than the one from Amazon, but a LOT nicer.
If you've never taken apart a hard drive before, it can be a challenge. There is one screw that is hidden under the sticker! Then after you have the cover plate off, and remove all the visible screws, you will need to lever out the read/write arm with some force as one of the magnets will be holding it down. These magnets are fairly fragile, but even if you break one, the strength of the piece will still be surprising. I've raised a couple of blood blisters by getting my finger tip caught between two of them snapping together! I've used two of them to make a magnetic-retention inverted sheath for a rather heavy combat knife. Two hard drive magnets were enough to keep the knife secure even when jumping up and down!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #23045
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Smirnoff Ice.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #23046
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Coffee. (Green Mountain Pumpkin Spice.) ALMOST good enough to make up for the fact that I have to leave at 7 a.m. for a ridiculously early PT appointment an hour away and it is raining miserably. Almost.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #23047
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Orange juice. A miserable day, so I'll see les miserables tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #23048
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There is a growing movement in the US to treat texting while driving like drunk driving. People are getting annoyed that people who kill others while texting while driving are getting light jail sentences and some are not going to jail at all.

Second cup of rooibos lemon.
Good for the US! Texting while driving is really dangerous, I remember a study from a couple of years ago that showed how much information drivers who were texting (or doing something else with their phone) missed.

Quote:
Good afternoon, everyone! How have you been?
Anh!!! I've missed you!!! And now you're back as well!!!

I've spend my weekend on the couch underneath a warm blanket and with lots of tea. I guess the flu got to me. I'm just glad it was over pretty quickly!

In my cup right now: green tea.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #23049
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The flu and this stomach virus running around are just nasty this year. bleeech

Keemun in my cup.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #23050
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Coffee - black ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #23051
maianhvk
whimsical

Salut Iri after trying to convince myself there is life "out there", I realized that I really missed MR, especially the what's in your cup thread... It's great to be among friends
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #23052
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:

And congratulations, Stitchawl and Blues

Thank you, Anh, I'm quite excited to have won something.
Nice to see you here in the 'what's in your cup-thread".

In my cup: hot coffee
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #23053
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Salut Iri after trying to convince myself there is life "out there", I realized that I really missed MR, especially the what's in your cup thread... It's great to be among friends
Now to get astra and Beppe back....
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #23054
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Yes. And good to have friends back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Now to get astra and Beppe back....
Agreed!

Peet's Scottish Breakfast Blend. Going to be a wet day.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #23055
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Hot, strong, black tea.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?