Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
iRex 800 ready for dispatch

Ordered yesterday, just received the update.
Maybe it even will be ahead of schedule (18th)?
I'm looking forward to compare touchscreens and display quality of iRex 800 and Sony 900.
And display size of Kindle DX to iRex 800.
And PDF capability of iRex 800 to iRex 1000.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Could ask why you bought it? After all, you appear to have so many devices already - including the DR1000S?
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplogSplog View Post
Could ask why you bought it? After all, you appear to have so many devices already - including the DR1000S?
Check his title? thingie... How can you be a fanatic if you don't have one of each???
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm looking forward to compare touchscreens and display quality of iRex 800 and Sony 900.
And boot/resume speed.
And battery life.
And stablity

And if the 3G unit is in the device and on the OS (not disabled by having module misssing or blacklisted).
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
And boot/resume speed.
And battery life.
And stablity

And if the 3G unit is in the device and on the OS (not disabled by having module misssing or blacklisted).
I'll second the request for boot/suspend/resume times along with battery life impressions.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplogSplog View Post
As Sweetpea wrote: I'm a bit of a fanatic. I'm a collector. Not just for readers. I've got 5 PSPs for example as well (1 of each generation plus 2 x Go).
I enjoy, testing the features. The first 2 to 5 days with a new unit really are the best. Later on I have to admit, it's quite complicated. Having 12 readers in sync isn't that easy. But I've got my favorites: Sony 900, 600 and 505, iRex iLiad, Kindle 2.
Concerning the iRex 800: iRex, Sony and Amazon are the 3 manufacturers/suppliers I'll always watch carefully. In my opinion, iRex deserves far bigger recognition than they have for the moment. Their OS has some outstanding features. I love my iRex iLiad for being able to change book title and author on the fly, directly on the unit itself.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
The web page for the 800 says 'weight 2.1'

Is that 2.1 *pounds*?????? That seems a tad chunky to me. Plus the price is a bit higher than expected, though this does appear to be the European version, and you guys have that pesky (and exorbitant) VAT to deal with.

In any event, I am interested but will wait for the 800SG which is aimed at the US market.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
The web page for the 800 says 'weight 2.1'

Is that 2.1 *pounds*?????? That seems a tad chunky to me. Plus the price is a bit higher than expected, though this does appear to be the European version, and you guys have that pesky (and exorbitant) VAT to deal with.

In any event, I am interested but will wait for the 800SG which is aimed at the US market.
I had the same reaction as you to the weight issue. The KDX is just over a pound, and seems heavy to me - although my reaction might be to the overall size of the unit, which seems too large to me.

At the same time, the form factor for the 800 looks perfect for my use. It looks to be a tad larger than my Sony 505, with a screen that is the size of the whole 505 unit.

I've wanted a larger ereader for home use. I've been waiting to see what Apple puts out, but it appears increasingly likely that the Apple unit will be about the same size as the KDX, which, as I've remarked, is too big for my taste. So the 800 has got my attention.

But the weight could be a problem, and for that matter, so could the stylus unless it stores right into the unit - otherwise, I'd probably lose it the first day...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I would imagine that weight is referring to the shipping weight and not the actual device weight. This is a physically smaller device then the iliad and it has a plastic shell so I would imagine the product weight would be slightly less than the iliad.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Yes that's true. I will say that compared to what was shown at CES.. .the DR800 is looking a bit long in the tooth already.
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As Sweetpea wrote: I'm a bit of a fanatic. I'm a collector. Not just for readers. I've got 5 PSPs for example as well (1 of each generation plus 2 x Go).
I enjoy, testing the features. The first 2 to 5 days with a new unit really are the best. Later on I have to admit, it's quite complicated. Having 12 readers in sync isn't that easy. But I've got my favorites: Sony 900, 600 and 505, iRex iLiad, Kindle 2.
Concerning the iRex 800: iRex, Sony and Amazon are the 3 manufacturers/suppliers I'll always watch carefully. In my opinion, iRex deserves far bigger recognition than they have for the moment. Their OS has some outstanding features. I love my iRex iLiad for being able to change book title and author on the fly, directly on the unit itself.
So, for you, at the start of every holiday it's not so much as "what books shall I bring", but "what ebook readers shall I bring"...

If the need to watch the finances a bit wasn't there, I'd probably do the same as you, except I would only buy one of each...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
Yes that's true. I will say that compared to what was shown at CES.. .the DR800 is looking a bit long in the tooth already.
But how many of those devices are actually out there to be bought? Besides, all technology is "long in the tooth" when it finally goes to market... It's going so fast right now (except computers, I get the impression it's finally slowing down a bit...)
Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Since you live in Augsburg and buy all those readers... you inherited the Fugger money, by any chance?

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-15-2010 at 03:18 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Since you live in Augsburg and buy all those readers... you inherited the Fugger money, by any chance?
Actually, the former Fugger poorhouse (they supported the poor since 14xx) is only a few kilometers from my house. If I'm not carefeluf about my budget, I might end up there...
Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Actually, the former Fugger poorhouse (they supported the poor since 14xx) is only a few kilometers from my house. If I'm not carefeluf about my budget, I might end up there...
Or you could sell a few devices!

*hides*
Old 01-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I would imagine that weight is referring to the shipping weight and not the actual device weight.
The technical specs on their site say the actual weight is 15.3 ounces. Yes, 2.1 lbs is probably the shipping weight.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote