Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #76
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I do understand non US customers frustrations with often having to wait for later releases of new products. I would feel exactly the same.

I just want to add as a US citizen, who probably has the most products/options to chose from, that the best product to me looks like the new Glo. So while you don't have all the options open to you right now, you may have the best of the options available to you.

Last edited by fbrII; 09-07-2012 at 11:12 AM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #77
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've noticed the Kobo press release makes a point of calling the Kobo Glo's screen "durable". Perhaps a subtle jab at the fragility of the Nook GlowTouch?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #78
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
I'm sold on the Glo. Ordered mine when it was announced yesterday. I refuse to buy any Kindle while they continue to treat EU citizens as a second class citizens. I'm sick of having to wait until after the US on every release. Amazon are big enough that they should be able to pull off worldwide releases, not US market for a year then maybe the rest of the world at some unknown time later.
It's most likely not Amazon calling the shots. You'd have to take it up with the various authors and publishers. Different countries have different laws, and sometimes regional publishers will decide their own release schedule based on the local market. It's like how a game can be released for the Nintendo 3DS in Japan but it won't be released in the US until a moth later. That's because Nintendo of America decides the release date for US products. Delays can also be caused by localization.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #79
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think it's probably more of a supply issue with Amazon not selling all Kindle models internationally from the word go. They want to make sure they can meet the demand for sales in the US (which is their biggest market) in what is traditionally a busy period for them (now through to Christmas). Once they've met that demand and have more supply, they'll then look at releasing the other models elsewhere. Not very good for those of us outside the US, but reasonably understandable.

As I've posted in the Kindle forum, anyone interested in a new e-reader and undecided on what to get should just look at this as an opportunity to see how all the new models work once people are actually using them for a spell, and then be happy they can make an informed decision in a few months time.

However, in saying all of that, Kobo still have to be congratulated for not doing it this way and having a worldwide release.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the two newbies with superior resolution (Kobo Glo and Kindle Paperwhite) shape up against each other. They both look like the best two e-readers, will they turn out that way or not?

I've also not read anything yet about any changes to the touch-screen of the Kobo, so will the Kindle's new capacitive touch-screen edge it ahead, and if the reviews are right and the Kobo uses the same tech as the Nook for lighting, will it possibly suffer from the same issues, and is the Kindle's tech different too?

Incidentally, I bought myself a Sony PRS-350 not too long ago, and I'm quite happy with it, but if only Kobo had given some indication of what was to come I'd probably not have bothered and went for the Kobo Mini instead

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-07-2012 at 12:23 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #80
StephenM
Temporal Tourist
StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo VOX
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I think it's probably more of a supply issue with Amazon not selling all Kindle models internationally from the word go. They want to make sure they can meet the demand for sales in the US (which is their biggest market) in what is traditionally a busy period for them (now through to Christmas). Once they've met that demand and have more supply, they'll then look at releasing the other models elsewhere. Not very good for those of us outside the US, but reasonably understandable.
The only problem with that theory is that the Kindle Fire has never been available outside the US. Even after the previous holiday season. The real issue seems to be related to Amazon Prime, which is definitely not available in Canada, and most of the newer Kindle devices are aimed at tapping into the Prime ecosystem. Until Amazon Prime is available internationally, selling an Amazon device that is designed to deeply integrate with Prime would be pointless.
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #81
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Kindle Fire was a different thing altogether, it was due to the availability (licensing) of apps/content. They couldn't sell the Fire anywhere outside the US because they didn't have the necessary rights to sell the content for it.

The app store has now been launched in parts of Europe (those countries with specific Amazon stores so the UK, France, Germany, Italy & Spain), so at least the smaller version of the new Fire is going to be sold in those countries. Canada is still waiting on the app store isn't it, which means no Fire. Canada seems to be a strange one in that there is an Amazon country specific store for it, yet you have to buy ebooks (and Kindles) from the .com store.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #82
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Wow. I am hoping that e-ink continues to prosper. I would like a Glo (or its successor) when it's time to upgrade from the Touch in a couple of years. (Even with the firmware hiccups, I love my Touch. Absolutely love it.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #83
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I was thinking at first the black bar across bottom of screen helped hide location of light until it evened out but later in video black bar was turned off and front lighting still was even. Looks good.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #84
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
It's most likely not Amazon calling the shots. You'd have to take it up with the various authors and publishers. Different countries have different laws, and sometimes regional publishers will decide their own release schedule based on the local market. It's like how a game can be released for the Nintendo 3DS in Japan but it won't be released in the US until a moth later. That's because Nintendo of America decides the release date for US products. Delays can also be caused by localization.
If this were the case, different countries, different laws etc. How did Kobo manage to overcome the same issues?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #85
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Anyone know if the technology in the Kobo Glo layer is the same as the Kindle Paperwhite layer? I wonder if they're both the same or very similar to the Nook layer.

Are any of them pretty much using this? http://flexlighting.com/
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #86
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
If this were the case, different countries, different laws etc. How did Kobo manage to overcome the same issues?
Working with local stores? It looks like that. You have to buy your Kindle at Amazon, you buy your Kobo at different shops according to the country.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #87
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo book sales are some how linked to local book store in that country. In USA it was Borders.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #88
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Regarding the video...

WOW... 10mins 39secs in I hear Sameer say "Let's give the customers a choice"...

Sooo my question is when does this apply to other options beyond fonts? So far everything else in regards to options we've been asking for has been total silence. Heck at least an acknowledgement such as "That's an interesting idea, we can't promise anything but we will look into it."

Other things: Reading Life has replaced Wishlist on the home screen. As Reading Life is at best a curiosity for me I guess it's better that having the Wishlist there.

Having said that when will we see DISCOVER also removed and relegated to "Find Books" menu with the DISCOVER spot being used by SHORTLIST?

Does the Home screen still replace the books you ARE reading with newly added books so that you have to hunt in the library to find your book again? As I haven't added any books since before I upgraded to 2.1.1 I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not.

Are the new Kobos still fragile in regards to the screen, in other words do they still have a breakable glass substrate? I ask this because of the mention of:

Quote:
Kobo Glo’s 6” high-res XGA E Ink Pearl touchscreen is ultra-thin and durable so nothing gets between you and your eBook, not even the brightest sunlight (or a little scratch). It’s just like reading print on paper, only better.
and

Quote:
Non-glass, no-glare, non-issue
I assume both of these statements from the Kobo site are in regards to the top layer and that the substrate is still as fragile as ever but one can hope that that has been improved.

I'm looking forward to getting the KGlo and passing on my KT to my wife but would like to know the answers above to see what I am in for before hand

EDIT:
Screen response, has the response to touch improved? It looks like it reacts better than my KT does now. I figure either the respose has been improved or that Sameer's fingers are smaller than mine and the screen responds better because of that. If it's smaller fingers then I will have to start bringing my stylus with me

EDIT2:
That black bar on the bottom of the screen is nasty. Fine for things like options when you are annotating and such but not nice when reading.

Last edited by Danger; 09-07-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #89
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Correction I see that the Wishlist is NOT gone but rather moved to the bottom of the screen all by itself so that more screen realistate is wasted.

Does that black bar only appear when the glow light is on?
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #90
filmo
Wizard

KT can sort books by last read. In this mode all books you are reading then have read are first listed then any new books are listed. Finally all other books in KT library are listed.This makes it easy to find books that were pushed off carousel by newly added books.