Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #61
tracings
Enthusiast
tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook HD, Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma
Since I'm always last to the party, I'm kind of surprised that no one has commented on the Font Tuning that's included in the Glo. Font WEIGHT and SHARPNESS controls!!!! Oh, my! Combined with the 1024x768 screen, this sounds like a really fine reading experience.

(Note: I screen clipped an image of the Kobo Glo's Font Tuning screen from the youtube video link on that owly posted earlier in this thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud-wR_dVwJY, but I've now discovered that I have no idea how to include it in this post. Sorry!)
tracings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #62
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracings View Post
Since I'm always last to the party, I'm kind of surprised that no one has commented on the Font Tuning that's included in the Glo. Font WEIGHT and SHARPNESS controls!!!!
Already on the Kobo Touch as of the 2.0 firmware.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #63
tracings
Enthusiast
tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook HD, Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Already on the Kobo Touch as of the 2.0 firmware.
As I said, I'm always late to the party! Still on 1.9.14! Gee, now I'm looking forward to the 2.1.whatever official upgrade.
tracings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #64
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
The Kobo Glo is looking nice I look forward to checking it out in person.

I see the Mini's appeal, but would actually prefer a larger e-ink variant for comics and PDFs. There's kind of an open niche there, especially with Amazon outright saying they have no plans for the DX anymore.

Incidentally, I mourn the loss of the quilted back on all the new models Now it's just flat with some decorative seams, which doesn't look (or, I suspect, feel) quite as nice as the bumpy facets. Will have to get my hands on one to check

Last edited by MechR; 09-07-2012 at 02:33 AM.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:04 AM   #65
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
Incidentally, I mourn the loss of the quilted back on all the new models Now it's just flat with some decorative seams, which doesn't look (or, I suspect, feel) quite as nice as the bumpy facets. Will have to get my hands on one to check
Actually, I don't think the quilted back is lost, it just has a larger pattern... In the third row of information on http://www.kobo.com/koboglo/ I *think* it says so, but I don't properly understand their Dutch translation of the English jargon (as I get to see that page in Dutch). Literally translated it says "soft back."
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #66
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I'm sticking with the touch had enough of tablets trying to be readers with their gimmicky wrappers distracting me from actually reading.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #67
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I'm sold on the Glo. Ordered mine when it was announced yesterday. I refuse to buy any Kindle while they continue to treat EU citizens as a second class citizens. I'm sick of having to wait until after the US on every release. Amazon are big enough that they should be able to pull off worldwide releases, not US market for a year then maybe the rest of the world at some unknown time later.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #68
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppowell002 View Post
I think what the review means is that the others are just cheap tabs that can also be used as reader whereas Arc is a reader first. Check out the article I linked before and see what you think.
Nah. Plenty of cheap tablets marketed as *e-readers* first, long before the Kobo tablets ('cos the Vox was marketed as a reader first as well). And not so cheap tabs, like the Nook Color. Most of them are off the market now, though, so it's too much of a pain in the ass to try and find 'em in online shops anymore for links.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #69
Raindrop
wanderer
Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
I think no one posted this video yet (i am sorry if i'm mistaken):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQC6IPM4_GU

There's also a review, not very extensive but helpful at this time, here

What do you think? Maybe it was the bad conditions for the vid, but Amazon's Paperwhite seems to have a better light..
Raindrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #70
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
oh, just admit it Taming, you're planning on getting them all for yourself; you know you wanna!
Unfortunately, I can't have everything I want. Darn.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #71
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the link Raindrop. I hope that black menu bar doesn't sneak its way into my Touch It would be most distracting, especially since my Touch front is white... ugh I don't understand the constant black bottom bar

Anyway interesting light. It didn't seem bad quality to me at all! But then, I haven't properly seen the Kindle Paperwight light..
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #72
Raindrop
wanderer
Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Anyway interesting light. It didn't seem bad quality to me at all! But then, I haven't properly seen the Kindle Paperwight light..
I only saw the Kindle PW in the videos that were posted after the conference. But (i don't know if it's me) when he turns on the light on the Kobo Glo, it seems a blue-ish color and too brigh (had the same feeling with the indigo vid), reminded me of lcd. In the pictures it shows nothing of that sort. So i am thinking it might have been the camera... Will be waiting for some other videos and reviews.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #73
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post
I only saw the Kindle PW in the videos that were posted after the conference. But (i don't know if it's me) when he turns on the light on the Kobo Glo, it seems a blue-ish color and too brigh (had the same feeling with the indigo vid), reminded me of lcd. In the pictures it shows nothing of that sort. So i am thinking it might have been the camera... Will be waiting for some other videos and reviews.
It was indeed a bit bright in the beginning, but luckily it has a brightness slider that you can slide right down to dim the light properly. It's actually five LED lights sitting in the bottom bezel. So it shouldn't be as bad as LCD
Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #74
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
I'm sold on the Glo. Ordered mine when it was announced yesterday. I refuse to buy any Kindle while they continue to treat EU citizens as a second class citizens. I'm sick of having to wait until after the US on every release. Amazon are big enough that they should be able to pull off worldwide releases, not US market for a year then maybe the rest of the world at some unknown time later.
That's great news. Congrats on your upcoming new eReader. We spend a lot of time making sure our great customers all over the world have access to our latest goodies as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post
I think no one posted this video yet (i am sorry if i'm mistaken):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQC6IPM4_GU

There's also a review, not very extensive but helpful at this time, here

What do you think? Maybe it was the bad conditions for the vid, but Amazon's Paperwhite seems to have a better light..
Hey that's me!

I wanted to make sure the light was visible on camera so it was set to full brightness. You can dim it down to as low as you like, it looks just as uniform and smooth, just dimmer

The colour on camera seems to shift. 5:00 on the video is probably the best representation of the actual colour of the light, if that helps.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #75
Raindrop
wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hey that's me!

I wanted to make sure the light was visible on camera so it was set to full brightness. You can dim it down to as low as you like, it looks just as uniform and smooth, just dimmer

The colour on camera seems to shift. 5:00 on the video is probably the best representation of the actual colour of the light, if that helps.
Sameer for the presentation!

Of course i went to see the minute 5 in the video If that's the way it really looks, it's really good! 5:57 is a good example too. I noticed that it looks like a lcd when they zoom it out. So that's not the reader.

Sameer, can you tell us more about the technology behind the touch feature? Is it capacitive too? That would be my preference. The IR technology is a bit...unreliable in my opinion. Mrs_Often raised a good question, is the bottom black bar always there?

I will be honest, my major concern is the software. I have never seen a Kobo first-hand (in Portugal there are almost no readers available in stores), but i've been reading about fixing a bug and, at the same time, creating a new one. That might be putting some people off the Kobo Glo.

And let me thank Kobo for really going global; like feenix1363 said, EU customers (well, non USA residents really) are being treated as 2nd class customers by the other major companies. That should be a thing to consider when we think about buying a device: what kind of behaviour do you want to endorse? I was blown away when i saw the portuguese fnac website in the sellers list. I only hope they will not fail you.

Just one (for now) last question: i read that the reader will have portuguese as a menu language. Do you know if it's brazilian portuguese or european portuguese?

Last edited by Raindrop; 09-07-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: question about language