Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I'll stick with my touch. I think I may buy a glo for my wife though once it's available.
Give the wife the old Touch. I think once you see the new one in action, you won't want the Touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Glow seems the most attractive to me at this point and I'll probably see about getting one for myself as it really has the one thing missing for an eink device, that being light.

The Arc....well, it's again outdated at its price point before it's released. Like the vox when they went single processor when competitors went dual, they are again lagging by going dual instead of Quad core. Google has set the bar with their nexus 7, and one I think Amazon will try to match, or at least come close to.

Obviously the problem for Kobo is the fact that Google doesn't make any money on their tablets(and can afford to do so), but they can't compete with them either if they provide inferior products at the same price point.

And don't get me wrong, I love Kobo, but only their e-ink devices. they really should conceed the tablet market to the big boys if they are unable to bring their A game.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give the wife the old Touch. I think once you see the new one in action, you won't want the Touch.
And this is how that will go:

Me: Here Honey have my old touch.

W: Why?

Me: I bought the new glo which is a better reader.

W: (silence)

Me: Boy I forgot how comfy the couch is to sleep on.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
The Glow is a go for me... My old sony 350 has just given up the ghost so I've been reading on my phone. While on vacation, I was so very glad to have my phone because it was backlit, but it is a mighty small reading area! I will definitely get the glow.
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
Like the look of these. Interesting they dropped the button from the front. The Arc is going to have a hard time competing with the Nexus 7 even with the updated specs
The Kobo Arc still has the IPS screen, which has better anti-glare properties than the competition. It'll also be cheaper in Canada ($199.99 for the Kobo Arc, vs. $209.99 for the Nexus 7 in Canada). To me, the Arc is aimed at markets where Kobo is already strong (like Canada), and Japan where Rakuten needs a tablet.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
And don't get me wrong, I love Kobo, but only their e-ink devices. they really should conceed the tablet market to the big boys if they are unable to bring their A game.
Rakuten needs a tablet for Japan, so don't expect them to concede the tablet market anytime soon. And I like that it has an IPS screen which offers better anti-glare properties than the competition, same as the Vox did. I can read on the Vox in bright sunlight (not well, but better than on other tablets).

That said. I see a Windows 8 tablet in my future, so I'll probably use the Kobo app on that for tablet use. For the rest of the time, Kobo Glo here I come! The Glo will be my first e-ink e-reader (the Kobo Vox was my first ever e-reader).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmul View Post
If so, that's a showstopper for me.
Crap. You're right. It's not listed in the specs. And here I thought the lack of a dedicated GPU (which makes a huge difference even outside of games) was its only bad point.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
Like the look of these. Interesting they dropped the button from the front.
Oh dear, how will we be able to do all the factory resetting?!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Oooooh, a mini?

YES!
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #25
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Oh dear, how will we be able to do all the factory resetting?!
Pinhole + power button most likely.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Finally! Can't wait to get my new Glo. DH and I were waiting for this upgrade ... as were our two daughters who want our Touch models NOW. (They currently read on their Kobo Wifi or iTouch.)

I have to say, though, that I'm jealous of the Kobo Mini. It has snap on backs, so you'll be able to change the color.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I quite like the look of the Mini. It says it's a 800Mhz processor - does that mean it will be similar (the same) as the current Touch? I feel like, especially with recent firmware versions, the Touch could do with a bit more oomph.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Let's hope the Kobo Glo has a more durable screen than the Nook Glow (the diffusion layer on the Nook Glow is extremely easy to damage which creates a bright spot when the light is on; it's fragile to the point that readers fresh out of the box have exhibited these "holes" of light).

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 09-06-2012 at 12:58 PM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I want the Glo! Lucky for me, there's no way I'll ever be buying another Kobo until they fix their godawful site (give me my English back, and implement series information, etc).
Ditto! I got all excited when I saw this!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Well, looks like the Kobo Arc is dead in the water. The new Kindle Fire is going to be more powerful than the old (thus way more powerful than the Arc) - AND cost only $159. Even if it too lacks a dedicated GPU and microSD slot (the latter's a given, of course), it will blow the Arc away.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...pt-14-for-159/
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote