Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The 8-bit framebuffer images can be read directly by some paint programs if you tell it the width and height. On a K4, or a K5 booted from diags, it is 8-bit grayscale 600x800. On a K5 booted from main it is 608x800. It would be possible to create a simple text-only PGM header for each format, and append the framebuffer copy to that so paint programs do not need to be told the image resolution.

The K3 is a little more complex because it has 2 pixels per byte. You can get a general idea of what the image looks like by loading it into a paint program as a RAW 300x800 image. But better, dpavlin has a convertor to that reads framebuffer images and writes a standard image format. You can find it in the tools index or K3 index I think...

You can do all of these things from a script that can be installed in the GUI launcher menu, or from launchpad, or from the kite launcher.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #32
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
I've also recently written and tiny-c-compiled several small utilities to convert framebuffer to conventional graphic formats - bmp, pgm, tiff and png (based on the LodePNG version 20120623 by Lode Vandevenne). These were succesfully tested on my K3 (4bpp), but unfortunately, I have no 8bpp raw images to play with... If someone could provide raw-8bpp-files made on K4 & K5, I would be very appreciated.
Just for testing purposes - screen2png, that contains [i] c-code & compiled binary to make png-shots and store them in the /mnt/us/pictures/screenshots/ (so that Alt-Z allows you to see the made screenshots via the built-in picture viewer) and [ii] scripts to launch it from launchpad (Shift-Q-Q = instant shot, Shift-Q-W = shot after 10 seconds) & kite.

[UPD] Here is the c-sources and compiled binaries to convert the framebuffer content to uncompressed bmp, pgm & tiff and, then, to compress them with the system call of bzip2. I expect that screen2pgm should properly work on 8bpp-devices.

Last edited by NuPogodi; 07-27-2012 at 05:22 PM.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #33
TulseLuper
Connoisseur
TulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with others

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
You can do all of these things from a script that can be installed in the GUI launcher menu, or from launchpad, or from the kite launcher.

If someone can write these instructions as a .sh i would test in my k5 and post the output or feedback if it worked or how...

thanks in advance!
TulseLuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #34
TulseLuper
Connoisseur
TulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
I've also recently written and tiny-c-compiled several small utilities to convert framebuffer to conventional graphic formats - bmp, pgm, tiff and png (based on the LodePNG version 20120623 by Lode Vandevenne). These were succesfully tested on my K3 (4bpp), but unfortunately, I have no 8bpp raw images to play with... If someone could provide raw-8bpp-files made on K4 & K5, I would be very appreciated.
Just for testing purposes - screen2png, that contains [i] c-code & compiled binary to make png-shots and store them in the /mnt/us/pictures/screenshots/ (so that Alt-Z allows you to see the made screenshots via the built-in picture viewer) and [ii] scripts to launch it from launchpad (Shift-Q-Q = instant shot, Shift-Q-W = shot after 10 seconds) & kite.

[UPD] Here is the c-sources and compiled binaries to convert the framebuffer content to uncompressed bmp, pgm & tiff and, then, to compress them with the system call of bzip2. I expect that screen2pgm should properly work on 8bpp-devices.
thanks ,

I have managed to get this to work here , but all i get from screen2tiff , screen2pgm and screen2bmp are *.bz2 , end in every 3 , after extracted and converted , i just have buggy images.

yes, when the commands are called they tend to work , and also write on /mnt/us/ the files , the only problem seems to be that the image get corrupted somehow...

I´m on kindle touch. maybe this should work for nontouch only ?

geekmaster; maybe this problem comes from the tiny diferences on 600x800 and 608x800 ? if its that , could you fix this up maybe ?

thanks !

Last edited by TulseLuper; 07-28-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulseLuper View Post
I´m on kindle touch. maybe this should work for nontouch only ?
I wrote that these tools were written & tested for 4bpp systems where 1 char = 2 pixels, while KT & KNT are 8bpp devices (1 char = 1 pixel). It's rather easy to update these tools for all kindle models, but I need raw 8bpp-images that could be obtained with the command "dd if=/dev/fb0 of=/mnt/us/output.raw" (in my Kindle3 just "screenshot" in the command line also works). If someone could supply me by such files for KT & KNT (no matter, what is inside - homescreen or any bookpage), I could readily modify the code & recompile the binaries.
Alternatively, you (or anyone else) may do it by yourself, since the sources are included.
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #36
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

hi nupogodi ,

I didn´t got this from the statement at first , sorry... but

Unfortunatelly i don´t have here neither the tool nor the known to correct and compile that, i´d be glad altough to test any changes that you or anyone else get to make and post up some results for the community.

really thanks
Old 07-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #37
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I wrote that these tools were written & tested for 4bpp systems where 1 char = 2 pixels, while KT & KNT are 8bpp devices (1 char = 1 pixel). It's rather easy to update these tools for all kindle models, but I need raw 8bpp-images that could be obtained with the command "dd if=/dev/fb0 of=/mnt/us/output.raw" (in my Kindle3 just "screenshot" in the command line also works). If someone could supply me by such files for KT & KNT (no matter, what is inside - homescreen or any bookpage), I could readily modify the code & recompile the binaries.
Alternatively, you (or anyone else) may do it by yourself, since the sources are included.
Here is what you asked for, for anything you can do.

P.S. - I compressed it so I could upload it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip output.raw.zip (10.8 KB, 183 views)
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #38
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulseLuper View Post
geekmaster; maybe this problem comes from the tiny diferences on 600x800 and 608x800 ? if its that , could you fix this up maybe ?

thanks !
No time now... I have developed methods (from scratch) and provided examples with source code, so you guys can learn how to do this stuff too. Learn it.

A good place to start is by looking at my scripts (and others based on them) in the "eink algorithmic art scripts" thread that adapt to the screen resolution. They use a variable referred to as "stride" for distance in bytes between adjacent vertical pixels. See how they do it. Those scripts work on DX/DXG/K3/K4main/K4diags/K5main/K5diags. The main and diags boot modes actually use the framebuffer differently, so I had to compensate for that. And DX/DXG/K3 use two pixels per byte.

EDIT: A good way to start learning how to write scripts is to take a working script that interests you (such as the algorithmic art scripts that draw to the framebuffer) and make little changes to them and debug your changes, then make progressively bigger changes. Be sure to publish (back to the art scripts thread, or wherever most appropriate) anything interesting that you create. It is not necessary to create a bunch of new threads when appropriate existing threads can be added to with relevant new stuff.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-28-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #39
NuPogodi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titano View Post
Here is what you asked for, for anything you can do.
Thanks, despite it seems a bit strange... I was pretty sure that the framebuffer in KT has to be 608*800 ~ 480KB when yours file is much larger (2MB, after unzipping). I've nevertheless modified the source code for the simplest format - portable graymap. Although I still have some doubts whether it works properly (especially for both screen orientations), You may try it and report the results.
PS. If the attached binary fails to make proper shot, could you please run "eips -i > /mnt/us/eips.txt" (for both orientations) and copy-paste the content of eips.txt?

(UPDATE) It seems that 8bpp-improvement is some kind of marketing mythos. Hex-codes in the attached raw file are always with the same high and low 4bit-nibbles, like 0x00, 0x11, ... 0xEE, 0xFF. It means that there are actually 16 colors. It might be a bit improved by dithering, but nevertheless... only 16 grades of gray, like in old-fashioned models (k2, k3 & kdx), just a bit remapped to increase the buffersize
Attached Files
File Type: zip screen2pgm.zip (2.1 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by NuPogodi; 07-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #40
geekmaster

I normally cut the framebuffer at 800 lines. It actually has more than twice that, and you can scroll the top of screen to any of those pixel lines (by poking the line number into a proc file buried deep inside /sys). The framework ignores that value though. When you dd the framebuffer without specifying the count, you get the entire thing, including the parts that the framework does not use.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #41
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hmmm, it seems a bit strange... I was pretty sure that the framebuffer in KT has to be 608*800 ~ 480KB when yours file is much larger (2MB, after unzipping). I've nevertheless modified the source code for the simplest format - portable graymap. Although I still have some doubts whether it works properly (especially for both screen orientations), You may try it and report the results.
PS. If the attached binary fails to make proper shot, could you please run "eips -i > /mnt/us/eips.txt" (for both orientations) and copy-paste the content of eips.txt?
for the moment i get this here after converted ,

and about the eips.txt ;

Quote:
Fixed framebuffer info
id: mxc_epdc_fb smem_start: 0x75400000
smem_len: 2179072 type: PACKED_PIXELS
type_aux: 0 visual: STATIC_PSEUDOCOLOR
xpanstep: 1 ypanstep: 1
ywrapstep: 0 line_length: 608
mmio_start: 0x00000000 mmio_len: 0
accel: 0

Variable framebuffer info
xres: 600 yres: 800
xres_virtual: 608 yres_virtual: 3584
xoffset: 0 yoffset: 0
bits_per_pixel: 8 grayscale: 1
red.offset: 0 green.offset: 0
red.length: 8 green.length: 8
red.msb_right: 0 green.msb_right: 0
blue.offset: 0 transp.offset: 0
blue.length: 8 transp.length: 0
blue.msb_right: 0 transp.msb_right: 0
nonstd: 0 activate: 128
width: -1 height: -1
accel_flags: 0 pixclock: 32258064
left_margin: 17 right_margin: 172
upper_margin: 4 lower_margin: 18
hsync_len: 15 vsync_len: 4
sync: 0 vmode: 0
rotate: 1
ill send also the converted , the bz2 and pgm ive got.

PS- also , it´s good to say that i´m running these insede xterm because i could´t get usbnetwork here yet - sic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120728200443.JPEG
Views:	253
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	89858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120728201103.JPEG
Views:	240
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	89859  
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 20120728200443.pgm.bz2 (9.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: bz2 20120728201103.pgm.bz2 (5.8 KB, 153 views)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #42
NuPogodi
Connoisseur

Thanks for report. Now it is more clear. It looks that i have used info.xres_virtual instead of info.xres. Fixed... now it might work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip screen2pgm-v2.zip (2.1 KB, 174 views)
Old 07-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #43
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Update: Now part of Gui Launcher Collection with multiple time options and converts it to png not jpg.

EDIT: Oh god... My Shame..... I could have just wrote a script like this. Then we could have saved SOO..... Much time. (Unless I missed something...)
Code:
sleep 30 && screenshot

Quote:
Thanks for report. Now it is more clear. It looks that i have used info.xres_virtual instead of info.xres. Fixed... now it might work.
Works great! Great Job NuPogodi. I'm uploading an extension which uses your program to take a screenshot, converts it to jpg, moves it to /mnt/us/Images/Screenshots, and finally opens the image viewer so you can look at your new image. It should work in allowing people to draw something, launch your app, go back to draw tool, and then have a screenshot. I'm still looking into making the button work but I suck a JavaScript (and everything else)... I suppose eventually we will figure it out. Just a quick to every who helped make this work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip screenshot.zip (3.3 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by Titano; 08-02-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #44
geekmaster

Quote:
(UPDATE) It seems that 8bpp-improvement is some kind of marketing mythos. Hex-codes in the attached raw file are always with the same high and low 4bit-nibbles, like 0x00, 0x11, ... 0xEE, 0xFF. It means that there are actually 16 colors. It might be a bit improved by dithering, but nevertheless... only 16 grades of gray, like in old-fashioned models (k2, k3 & kdx), just a bit remapped to increase the buffersize
See my newtrix demo to see how to mirror the top 4-bits into the bottom 4-bits on an 8-bit framebuffer. The GPL device driver code actually says that the bottom 4 bits MUST be equal to the top 4 bits, or the eink hardware can behave in an "unpredictable" manner (depending on specific hardware). My newtrix demo also does dithering to get 256 shades of gray into each of those 4-bit pixel copies in the second demo in that program. Check it out.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #45
Titano
Definitely not King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
See my newtrix demo to see how to mirror the top 4-bits into the bottom 4-bits on an 8-bit framebuffer. The GPL device driver code actually says that the bottom 4 bits MUST be equal to the top 4 bits, or the eink hardware can behave in an "unpredictable" manner (depending on specific hardware). My newtrix demo also does dithering to get 256 shades of gray into each of those 4-bit pixel copies in the second demo in that program. Check it out.
256 shades of gray... What a book that would make.

Tags
launcher add-ons