Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: One a scale of One to Five, How technologically oriented are you?
One 3 3.53%
Two 5 5.88%
Three 6 7.06%
Four 18 21.18%
Five 53 62.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
iLiad Owners: How technologically oriented are you?

This poll is partially out of curiosity, partially to gauge the need for tutorials and detailed explanations of things.

So, on a scale of one to five, rate your own technical aptitude. One being the lowest, five being the highest.

For example:

A One would be: "I don't own a computer, and I'm afraid that if I look at it they would explode."

A Three would be: "I'm comfortable using computers and electronics, but I don't really know or am comfortable with the advanced stuff."

A Five would be: "I'm pretty good with computers, config files and registry entries don't scare me. I can usually figure stuff out on my own after playing with it"

Keep in mind this is compared to the general public. If you work in a computer or technology related field, you're probably a five on this scale.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I have to say four, because although I work in IT (telecommunications area), I'm way better at some stuff than others, partly due to lack of interest (ok, the great majority). My husband just loves fiddling with OS's, for example, and I just know how to get around it, make some changes to the regedit, etc. (your talk in the developers area goes right over me most of the time). But I love databases and programming, and am coming to grips with communications (I've been recently "adopted", lol), and am considered an absolute whiz at "ofimática" (Spanish for MS Office et al)... Queen of the spreadsheet!!
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
This thread is starting to confirm what I orginally thought. The iLiad is typically owned by more technically minded people.

I wonder if that's because of it's advanced functionality, or perhaps it's not as user friendly...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
See, according to how you defined the values on your scale, I guess I'd be a five - but without your definitions, I would have voted three, assuming that a five stands for someone who hacks into NORAD...

As for the user-friendliness of the community developed apps, there's definitely some room for improvement. If nothing else, some of the wording in the various installation instructions could be streamlined; different people use words differently etc...
(This is something I have experience with and would happily volunteer for if only I had more time ... well, maybe when the kids are off to college ... )

Plus, I'm not sure if links in developer's messages should lead directly to the download - how about they lead to the Wiki entry and the download starts from there? There are apps out there where there's one download link for the original port, one for the upgrade, one for a required library, one for the Aztec language pack ... well, I exaggerate, but you know what I mean. This can be very confusing to clueless people like me. Should be all in one place.
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
amirshim
amirshim doesn't litteramirshim doesn't litteramirshim doesn't litter

Device: irex iliad
The poll is probably slightly biased... many people probably just happily use their iliad, and never visit mobileread.
amirshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirshim View Post
The poll is probably slightly biased... many people probably just happily use their iliad, and never visit mobileread.
But if they had visited MobilRead, they be very happy instead of just happy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"100% of Russian citizens have access to Internet, as was discovered by an online poll."
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I voted 3. While I am pretty confident with technology and can manage a wide range of things, I am at a loss when it comes to the apps that are being developed for the Iliad. I am not confident with trying to install them. Now if it came to imaging technology and using CS or light room I would have said 5
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:14 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've declared myself to be a "5", which is true in my own field (Windows programming) but I'm more like a "1" when it comes to Linux. When I installed FBReader it took me ages to figure out where I had to "navigate" to in the file system to locate my books, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:13 AM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Dummy Me

I gave myself a generous 3. Computers mac windows and windows on mac no problem. Linux for me is like those old maps that indicate unknown areas with the caution "here there be dragons".

I don't believe that you need to be that technologically proficient to use a iLiad but having said that I had to get my brother in law out to get me on my home wireless network with the thing.

I would love to be able to listen to mp3s on my iLiad but lack the ability to even start. All sorts of stuff unavailable to me I guess. My own field moves so rapidly that I lack the time and motivation to get involved with linux on an iLiad. Perhaps over Xmas I will give it a shot.

Thank goodness for all you clever chaps on this forum
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 AM   #11
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

I gave myself a 2. I know the computer won't explode if I look at it. Just if I turn it on.

I started a thread yesterday in the Irex forum asking for tutorials. I love my Iliad. But I have a clear sense that I'm not getting as much out of it as I should. Some functions I haven't started to use at all. I haven't downloaded any of the community apps. All the explainations of how to do it assume a level of knowledge I just don't have.

I think I'm the kind of user Irex wants/needs if its to stand a chance of surviviing.

That's not to say i don't appreciate and admire the work of all the developers like Adam and jharker. But Irex has to orientate a little more to the needs of the ordinary punters.
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:41 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Installing applications is VERY easy, mel. If it's one of Adam's installers, like "FBReader", for example, then all you have you do is:

1. Download the zip file of the installation package.
2. Unzip it on your PC or Mac.
3. Copy the installer folder to the root of a CF or SD card.
4. Put the card in your iLiad.
5. Navigate to it with the "Contents Lister".
6. Tap the "Install <whatever>" item that shows up in the Contents Lister.

That's all there is to it. Once you've installed it, the contents lister will show two items in place of the installer: "Run <whatever>" and "Uninstall <whatever>".

You need to request and download the shell access package from iRex first, I should add.

Hope that's of some help.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #13
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Installing applications is VERY easy, mel. If it's one of Adam's installers, like "FBReader", for example, then all you have you do is:

That's all there is to it. Once you've installed it, the contents lister will show two items in place of the installer: "Run <whatever>" and "Uninstall <whatever>".

You need to request and download the shell access package from iRex first, I should add.

Certainly helped me Harry, and I gave myself a four!

However, if the poll had been broken down by OS, I'd have given myself:

WXP: 4
Mac OS X: 4
W Vista: 0 and hope it stays that way
Linux: 0, but maybe one day I'll see a reason to try it out.

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #14
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I have voted for "5".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
There are apps out there where there's one download link for the original port, one for the upgrade, one for a required library, one for the Aztec language pack ... well, I exaggerate, but you know what I mean. This can be very confusing to clueless people like me. Should be all in one place.
Well, this is true. One example: my beta of musicplayer Gimmix hasn't got a long readme like it should have. It was too lazy to update the old/much better LaTeX readme of jukebox 2.x. So, you can blame me too.
Documentation is complicated becaue you have to care all small facts which are clear to myself but unknown to Average Joe.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

Harry, thanks for your very clear directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

The last bit is exactly my problem. To download new apps, I need to get shell access. If I download and use shell access I void my warranty. I don't feel in anyway confident enough to take the risk. That'll be the situation with most - if not all - non tech ebook owners.

In time of course all the great new apps you people work on will filter down. I can wait. Though there are some I'd like right now!

But the problem is slightly bigger than that. The Iliad is intimidating. The instructions and user manuals not clear, explicit and reader friendly enough. Irex must encourage and welcome in new buyers for very obvious reasons. Its a great multi pupose and adaptable tool. Lte's see that fact make good and clear.

This is probably all a bit tedious for many of you but if ebooks are to take off - if the Iliad is to stay as a market leader - something must be done. Not to overuse the old ipod analogy but its mass appeal was absolutely grounded in its ease of use, the clarity of the instructions.
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote