Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
on converting .mobi dictionaries to pb format

hi,
I asked for help about converting a .mobi dictionary to .dic format suitable to pocketbook on the 3d latin dictionary, but got no answer.
so I'm making a dedicated thread to get more visibility.
is there a way to do it (maybe passing by .xdxf)?
thanks
t
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I'd suggest using Calibre.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

hi rogue,
Thanks. I never used calibre as I'm quite new to ebook milieu, and read mostly scans. I'll definitly give it a closer look.
but, which of these formats would be accepted by pb converter?
Calibre Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, SNB, TCR, TXT

cheers
t
Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
I believe .dic is another name for a .txt file which is a dictionary but you'll have to give it a try.
Another point to keep in mind is that just because you can convert from MOBI format to TXT format it doesn't mean that the internal ordering or the text is the same, you'll probably need to compare some to see if the result is satisfactory.

I did see a dictionary converter program on the support pages of the usa site.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
teofrast
Enthusiast

hi JC,
I don't believe .dic to be just plain .txt, as its lemmas are alphabetically searchable and it recognises morphems.
as for the converter, it's the application I've already successfully used to make another latin dictionary for the pb. problem is I don't know all the formats it accepts. the only that I successfully tested is .xdxf
cheers
t
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I'm sorry, I did miss the "dictionary" part. Disregard my advice re: Calibre, please. If it's a commercial, i.e. DRM-ed dictionary you might not be able to convert it at all.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofrast View Post
hi,
I asked for help about converting a .mobi dictionary to .dic format suitable to pocketbook on the 3d latin dictionary, but got no answer.
thanks
t
There aren't any tools to do this. You'd need to do the work on reverse-engineering the special tables inside the Mobipocket dictonary format, and then write a tool to convert them to the format you want.

You can remove the DRM using the standard Mobipocket DRM removal tools.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofrast View Post
hi,
thanks
t
I do not think the answer to your question is there, but you may nonetheless find this thread on dictionaries useful.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
teofrast
Enthusiast

thanks to everyone.
paola, I knew this thread, sadly it didn't help, but I appreciate the effort. thank you.
pdurrant, I'm afraid I'm to lazy (and not enough smart) to face this kind of work. at least I know how it should be done. thanks.
t