Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Epub and Justification

Greetings,

Does anyone know why some epub books are displayed with full justification and some epub books (especially periodicals downloaded from the Reader store) are displayed left justified?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
On what platform? It makes a difference although if you're getting some with full then most likely it's due to the way they were produced...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It probably means that the ePub has "hard coded" left alignment.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It probably means that the ePub has "hard coded" left alignment.
I agree. The 900 defaults to justified text alignment unless the ePub CSS specifies another alignment.

If you prefer left justification, you can use the Python scripts ineptepub.py and ineptkey.py (use Google to find info) to strip the DRM and then use calibre to make whatever changes you desire.

Hint: You can copy the ePub file and rename it to a zip file, then extract the zip file and search for any .CSS files. For example: Copy MyBook.epub to MyBook.zip then extract MyBook.zip into the folder MyBook. The CSS will show any hardcoded formatting. Search the CSS file(s) for strings like text-align: justify; or text-align: left;. If one or more of these strings are found, then text alignment is hardcoded in the ePub. Calibre can be used to override any CSS, but you have to know to do it.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-05-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I agree. The 900 defaults to justified text alignment unless the ePub CSS specifies another alignment.

If you prefer left justification, you can use the Python scripts ineptepub.py and ineptkey.py (use Google to find info) to strip the DRM and then use calibre to make whatever changes you desire.

Hint: You can copy the ePub file and rename it to a zip file, then extract the zip file and search for any .CSS files. For example: Copy MyBook.epub to MyBook.zip then extract MyBook.zip into the folder MyBook. The CSS will show any hardcoded formatting. Search the CSS file(s) for strings like text-align: justify; or text-align: left;. If one or more of these strings are found, then text alignment is hardcoded in the ePub. Calibre can be used to override any CSS, but you have to know to do it.
I am not so sure about defaulting to justify. I had to explicitly set text-align: justify on some of the EPUB books and I just double-checked the whole chain of the CSS — the left-alignment is not hard-coded anywhere. Since the default alignment is supposed to be left for LTR languages I would expect that to be the correct behavior.

I've never used Calibre to perform an EPUB to EPUB conversion, so I prefer to manually modify the included CSS.

EDIT: On the second thought, I have flashed mine with porkupan's firmware and did not provide any text-alignment defaults in my userStyle.css, so it's quite possible that the stock firmware does indeed set the default to justify. Don't know what the latest versions of the hack specify as the default.

Last edited by dmapr; 05-06-2010 at 09:04 AM.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
EDIT: On the second thought, I have flashed mine with porkupan's firmware and did not provide any text-alignment defaults in my userStyle.css, so it's quite possible that the stock firmware does indeed set the default to justify. Don't know what the latest versions of the hack specify as the default.
The default is definitely justified on the standard 900 firmware. If you are using alternative firmware or the ePub has hardcoded CSS text alignment then it might display differently.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The default is definitely justified on the standard 900 firmware. If you are using alternative firmware or the ePub has hardcoded CSS text alignment then it might display differently.
What happened is I didn't specify anything at all for text-align in my userStyles.css — I only introduced new fonts there —so it was going with "default defaults". Yes, hard-coded alignment will override the default (as it should).
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wish Sony would add firmware to allow the Reader to override text alignment and fonts. Many of the reader software apps available for PDAs and computers have had these formatting options for years. It would be easy for them to implement via menu options if they just would.

I also wish they would add the option to use auto-hyphenation to make line breaks easier to read.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-08-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This is also the case with all other ADE devices that I'm aware of; in the absence of hard-coded justification, the book will default to full justification. Some devices (eg the CyBook Opus) will allow the user to toggle between left and full justification.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
I also wish they would add the option to use auto-hyphenation to make line breaks easier to read.
Amen to that. Or at the very least display the soft hyphen properly…