Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: Should people buy an Iliad or not?
Yes, buy one right now 20 32.26%
No, wait until the software works as advertised 29 46.77%
No, wait until Irex supports open source developments 6 9.68%
No, buy a Hanlin/Sony instead 7 11.29%
No, wait for the next eBook generation 8 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #16
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I too want to be able to save my notes inside the PDF, aswell as being able to highlight text and then see higlights and notes on a pdf reader.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:03 AM   #17
KILI
Hmmmmmmm
KILI began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad ER-0100
Thumbs up

I think the Iliad is a great device for the initial purpose it was designed for. After some use and tries personally I believe it is a very useful device. It is too bad that there are still still some gaps in functionality (like the zoom function in PDF's) but I count on Irex to solve these asap.

Maybe one should not judge Irex to hard (yet). They originally developed the thing for reading distributed E-content. Their customers; E-content offering companies. Now it seems that the device can go beyond that. If you don't want to lose the original market but also want to serve the new group of customers you want to serve both but in a controlled way. So lets wait and see until second half of this year for the possibilities they will create for you developers. I bed we will not be disappointed (I have the impression the Iliad exists today just because Irex have some geeks like us thought they could make it work ;-) )

So if I would be new I would buy it;
(1) Although suggested otherwise I think the Iliad can match most of the claims made. I can use the thing as planned.
(2) I'm sure Irex will make sure that claims not yet fully present will be implemented soon (and more like switching portrait/landscape, zoom etc.).
(3) In Q3/Q4 2006 Irex will release all functionality for developers to fully exploit the possibilities of the system thus I as a non-developer will have a choice of some great tools.
(4) There will be more.....hopefully..... (maybe also a rebate when we buy the flexible colour version on A4/letter format some time next year )

Last edited by KILI; 07-31-2006 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Some language errors.... (lol)
KILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Today I would buy an Irex Reader 1000S but you can't have everthing.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscherno View Post
Apart from geeks, i would not recommend the device with the current software...
Probably I'm of the geeky kind...
In my opinion (and I've got 12 readers to compare, the next 2 on the road already, hence the "geeky" part) iLiad still by far has the most advanced OS. Which other readers allows to change boot title or author's name on the fly? May not seem a biggy to many users, I absolutely love it. About 1/3 of my (legally purchased) eBooks doesn't stick to the naming convention. I either can strip DRM, add/modify metadata and convert or I can change it -on the fly, directly on my iLiad.
Also I can add thumbnails, did have folders from the very beginning, have a touchscreen but screen clarity close to Sony 505, ....
Those are some of the reasons why I've ordered iRex 800 in an instance, without having seen any reviews yet.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-20-2010 at 11:16 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILI View Post
I think the Iliad is a great device for the initial purpose it was designed for. After some use and tries personally I believe it is a very useful device. It is too bad that there are still still some gaps in functionality (like the zoom function in PDF's) but I count on Irex to solve these asap.

Maybe one should not judge Irex to hard (yet). They originally developed the thing for reading distributed E-content. Their customers; E-content offering companies. Now it seems that the device can go beyond that. If you don't want to lose the original market but also want to serve the new group of customers you want to serve both but in a controlled way. So lets wait and see until second half of this year for the possibilities they will create for you developers. I bed we will not be disappointed (I have the impression the Iliad exists today just because Irex have some geeks like us thought they could make it work ;-) )

(1) Although suggested otherwise I think the Iliad can match most of the claims made. I can use the thing as planned.
(2) I'm sure Irex will make sure that claims not yet fully present will be implemented soon (and more like switching portrait/landscape, zoom etc.).
(3) In Q3/Q4 2006 Irex will release all functionality for developers to fully exploit the possibilities of the system thus I as a non-developer will have a choice of some great tools.
(4) There will be more.....hopefully..... (maybe also a rebate when we buy the flexible colour version on A4/letter format some time next year )
"Zoom function in PDFs"? Isn't it way ahead of all the others? For example, Sony 600 or 900 only allow zoom for a single page, whereas iLiad is able to use that setting for the entire document.
I consider iRex (iLiad and 1000S) by far most advanced for PDFs.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #21
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILI View Post
Heh... Strange reading that now. I think everything that is in that list was delivered.

And yes, still using my Iliad everyday. And still chugs along nicely. I've looked at various other Readers and none of them (apart from the Sony with a touch-screen) comes close to what I require...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote