Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #211
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
oh yeah forgot that script somehow, cheers.
edit: oh wait, i am using it. i wonder why it didn't stop my screensaver the other time then, or if it did, what caused the crashes.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #212
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmm... don't know. I would amend it anyway to include Xorg perhaps (at least try that)

killall -STOP cvm Xorg

and

killall -CONT cvm Xorg

might be a before and after option.

Clearly have ssh access before messing about with that. I also have NO idea if the 4 even has an Xorg. just to be clear. now I do..

Last edited by twobob; 10-09-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: now I do
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #213
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
no Xorg on k4 ta tho.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #214
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
config.lua is no more there. How can I change a keyboard layout for Kindle 2 now?
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #215
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Xvnc-start.sh is a new script with DX resolution. What does it make?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #216
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Oh, I probably forgot to include config.lua, sorry. Will check when I'm back at my development machine. That new script is an example from dpavlin, he uses it on his Linux desktop machine to start a local Xvnc server, run x2vnc for interconnecting the local X server with that Xvnc server and uses an SSH link to his Kindle (via USB) to start kindlevncviewer on the Kindle. Quite neat startup sequence that will essentially run another desktop environment and show it on the Kindle, usable with the desktop machine's mouse and keyboard.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #217
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Oh, I probably forgot to include config.lua, sorry. Will check when I'm back at my development machine. That new script is an example from dpavlin, he uses it on his Linux desktop machine to start a local Xvnc server, run x2vnc for interconnecting the local X server with that Xvnc server and uses an SSH link to his Kindle (via USB) to start kindlevncviewer on the Kindle. Quite neat startup sequence that will essentially run another desktop environment and show it on the Kindle, usable with the desktop machine's mouse and keyboard.
wow. nice, yeah it's missing thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #218
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Xvnc-start.sh to setup dual-screen between desktop and Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets00 View Post
Xvnc-start.sh is a new script with DX resolution. What does it make?
It ssh to Kindle to get screen orientation, starts local VNC server using it (together with dwm and xterm inside it) and then starts kindlevncviewer and connects to newly started VNC server on your desktop/laptop. It also starts local vncviewer so you can quickly setup your new kindle screen.

I know it a lot, but it's quite simple (take a look in script) and allows me to demo dual screen setup with Kindle by running single command. Hope you like it.
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #219
Rockets00
Connoisseur

Question

Quote:
Oh, I probably forgot to include config.lua, sorry. Will check when I'm back at my development machine.
I want to make a howto video for windows 7. Can you tell me exact time when a new version comes?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #220
twobob

Thumbs up Use the Tools Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets00 View Post
I want to make a howto video for windows 7. Can you tell me exact time when a new version comes?
Code:
 Show Printable Version
 Download this Thread
 Email this Page
 Unsubscribe from this Thread  <-- or Subscribe
 Ignore this Thread
Top of the page - That can do a timely message (check your notification settings too)

Best bet for instant updates.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #221
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, but thanks for the reminder. I indeed forgot about this in the meantime, too much stuff in my life to keep up with :-) But I'll get to do it this weekend. If I don't, please PM me.

Edit: finally got to do it. Sorry it took so long.

Last edited by hawhill; 10-27-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #222
wuhuama
wuhuama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook
Thank you for great jobs and questions.

Hi hawhill, thanks for your kindness and great works.
I am a green hand and would like ask some stupid questions.
I wanna use my DX international (2.5.4) as a monitor for my PC. Does it work by this method? When I disconnect the DX, is DX a normal e-reader anymore?
Or more generally, can I switch my DX between monitor mode and e-reader mode?
Thanks a million.
wuhuama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #223
hawhill
Wizard

Yep, that would be possible. Though note that it won't be as easily to set up on your host machine as a "normal" monitor. But in general, yes, you would be able to toggle between the modes.

That said, you'll need to jailbreak your device, install USB networking and launchpad. Either of these steps will need a bit of reading up on it, but I guess you'll manage it.

Depending on what OS you use on your desktop machine, you could go for exporting the current screen or - if Linux is your host OS - run a second desktop on the Kindle.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #224
twobob

Quote:
Yeah, but thanks for the reminder. I indeed forgot about this in the meantime, too much stuff in my life to keep up with :-) But I'll get to do it this weekend. If I don't, please PM me.

Edit: finally got to do it. Sorry it took so long.
superstar
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #225
twobob

I have a question. Is here an option to invert the FB values? I will do read the docs perhaps I need to invert Black / white values...

it's inverted in the 5 (I feel like I should know this)

OH: EDIT: And thanks. I use this to read piano music now from the internet at the piano.

very handy

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc