Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Erin
eBook Developer
Erin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, Nook
Using epubcheck .jar with Java

I'm having issues getting the epubcheck-1.2.jar + JAVA combination to work correctly. I've gone through as much troubleshooting as I can figure out and I'm still getting the same errors.

This is what I'm doing to run the check and the subsequent errors.

This is the setting I have currently to *attempt* to correctly assign java to my PATH in the environment variables.

And, yes, I have tried using the jre6\bin line but with no success. Am I writing my path line incorrectly? Do I have it assigned to the wrong folder/file? I'm not a programmer and I'm trying to understand Java enough to run this checker locally since I develop a high volume of books. Any help is appreciated!

----Erin Campbell
----eBook Developer
----TIPS Technical Publishing, Inc.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Since this has nothing to do with eBook reading and is about ePub generation I am moving this thread to the ePub forum where the experts are.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Erin
eBook Developer

Thank you, I wasn't quite sure where to post.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As an experiment I downloaded and installed the same version into C:\Tools\ePubCheck.

Executing it as
Quote:
D:\Downloads>java -jar c:\tools\epubcheck\epubcheck-1.2.jar "d:\Downloads\The_Land_sample.epub"
Epubcheck Version 1.2

ERROR: d:\Downloads\The_Land_sample.epub/OPS/content.opf(12): date value '2011/05/01' is not valid. The date must be in the form YYYY, YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD 21 (e.g., "1993", "1993-05", or "1993-05-01"). See http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime.

Check finished with warnings or errors!
However.... you do know that there was also a lib directory present that contains some additional classes. When I renamed that directory I got the exact same error as you did.

Double check that you have the jar file on your desktop AND a lib folder present there as well that should contain jing.jar and saxon.jar.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Erin
eBook Developer

Thank you, This was VERY helpful. What all of the "how-to" threads neglect to mention is that when you go to http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/downloads/list you need to download the SOURCE *and* BINARY .zip files.

Most, if not all, only instruct to "download epubcheck-1.2.zip" which, well, was not terribly elaborate enough of a, ahem, command. I hope others find this thread helpful!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Of course you can also use FlightCrew, which blows epubcheck out of the water...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use FlightCrew and once FlightCrew says it's all OK, run it through ePubCheck and it should also say all is OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.jar, epubcheck, java, path