Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
The Gathering Storm

I'm about half-way into book 12 of The Wheel of Time: The Gathering Storm.

I've got to say that I think Brandon Sanderson has completely breathed new life into the series.

The scenes that I've never really been interested in...White Tower politics for instance, have completely captivated me. There is just so much more life and vigor written into the characters.

Now I know that Robert Jordan had written a ton of it already, but it just seems that I can tell when he wrote parts, and when Sanderson wrote parts.

Makes me think about how the first few books captivated me.

I did enjoy the entire series, books 5 and 6 lulled for me quite a bit, but these are really getting the ball rolling!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I'm about half-way into book 12 of The Wheel of Time: The Gathering Storm.

I've got to say that I think Brandon Sanderson has completely breathed new life into the series.

The scenes that I've never really been interested in...White Tower politics for instance, have completely captivated me. There is just so much more life and vigor written into the characters.

Now I know that Robert Jordan had written a ton of it already, but it just seems that I can tell when he wrote parts, and when Sanderson wrote parts.

Makes me think about how the first few books captivated me.

I did enjoy the entire series, books 5 and 6 lulled for me quite a bit, but these are really getting the ball rolling!
Had the same experience. In summer 2009 I reread the whole series, preparing for Sanderson's new book in the series. I'd never made it through book 10 before, despite starting it many times. I forgot how good book 1 is, and why I was hooked in the first place. First 4 or so are solid, then it wanes a bit, and hits rock bottom with book 10. Sanderson has done a great job, I think, and Towers of Midnight was my favorite since the first book.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll be honest, while the book took place at the same time Winters Heart, I really enjoyed book 10. And I thought Knife of Dreams started to pull things back up. All though the "OMG" moment that was supposed to happen was pretty underwhelming as far as description goes.

Can't wait to read Towers of Midnight.....I've never read any Sanderson...I think it's time to pick up Way of Kings to check out soon. I'm loving his writing, and really wish that he kind of came on earlier....maybe he can help George RR Martin along LOL.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't read Way of Kings yet (I'm trying not to start any more unfinished massive fantasy series), but I highly recommend his Mistborn Trilogy. And just as highly unrecommend Elantris, which I thought had some serious writing issues. My brother loved Elantris, but he also loves Piers Anthony, and I can't stand that type of writing.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I actually just started with WoT series because I have a friend that absolutely adores it.
Now that we know the end is here, I thought I could start it without worry.

Really enjoyed the first book, about 3/4 through the second. I'm a little worried about approaching books 8,9,10 as there seems to be a strong general consensus about them being pretty slow and boring.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I actually just started with WoT series because I have a friend that absolutely adores it.
Now that we know the end is here, I thought I could start it without worry.

Really enjoyed the first book, about 3/4 through the second. I'm a little worried about approaching books 8,9,10 as there seems to be a strong general consensus about them being pretty slow and boring.
8 and 9 are slow. For 10, I'd recommend just reading a synopsis. And I say this as a fan of the series.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard

For me the only books that didn't read well were 5 and 6 but those did have some great parts. You could get by with reading a summary of 10, but I enjoyed that one. Either way, I hope you enjoy the series. I think alot of disdain is because it started in something like 1990 lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I stopped after book 9. When the last one comes out, I'll read the rest of the series. It's too complex, with too many threads, for me to pick up a new book every year. It takes me half the book to get back into the plot - then he brings up an old subplot and I'm back to scratch again!
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
I stopped after book 9. When the last one comes out, I'll read the rest of the series. It's too complex, with too many threads, for me to pick up a new book every year. It takes me half the book to get back into the plot - then he brings up an old subplot and I'm back to scratch again!
That's the beauty of the synopses! I'm not a big fan of Tor's site or moderators, but this read-through with detailed notes is very helpful.

Alternately, DragonMount has a pretty good summary of all the books as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard

Dragonmount is what I used when 11 came out to help me catch up.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
queentess
Reading is sexy

Encyclopaedia WOT has robust summaries as well, but I prefer Dragonmount (which has been around for a while) and Tor (which is more recent) because EWOT is just plain ugly... and a little difficult to navigate.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
That's the beauty of the synopses! I'm not a big fan of Tor's site or moderators, but this read-through with detailed notes is very helpful.

Alternately, DragonMount has a pretty good summary of all the books as well.

I do the same thing with the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. So much time passes between books that I forget some of the small stuff. There are sooooo many names, places, political factions, side-stories, etc that it can get confusing.
I will usually read a summary online of the previous book to refresh me before starting the new one.

Shouldn't have a problem with WoT though......I figure the last one will be out before I get there.
I did notice before, unless it has changed, that the Kindle editions are being released quite a while after the hardcovers...maybe 6 to 8 months. That would be a bummer if I were already up to that point.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I love all of the books, but I agree 8, 9, and 10 are pretty slow. I really liked 9 though, but that is because Mat is my favourite character... I loved 11, but the past two by Brandon are simply amazing. I do have to say that some of the talk or characters bug me though. The lingo is just too modern for WoT, and Mat is off IMHO. He was a bit better in the last one, but he is still off to me.

I think I liked The Gathering Storm more than Towers of Midnight. Towers is almost like a bunch of wrap-ups for all the story lines. It was needed, and I thought the book totally rocked, but it flowed differently.

I would recommend Dragonmount.com for any WoT info, but I use Encyclopedia WOT as well (mind you I am partial since I kind of work for Dragonmount).

Mewmartigan, the ebook of Towers of Midnight was originally coming out much later, but Brandon talked Harriet into releasing it sooner. It is out now, so less than 3 months since the hardback release.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
mewmartigan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post

Mewmartigan, the ebook of Towers of Midnight was originally coming out much later, but Brandon talked Harriet into releasing it sooner. It is out now, so less than 3 months since the hardback release.

Glad to hear it