Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
schuster
Zealot
schuster doesn't litterschuster doesn't litter

Device: prs-650 / prs-350 /kindle 3
change position of footnotes

is it possible?

as an example i would insert the footnote (marked with a star)
into the main text.

__________________________________________________ ____________
original

Das Mädchen war über sich selbst hinausgewachsen. Johnny
konnte es nur bewundern. Trotz der Angst war Kathy* nicht
durchgedreht. Beide hatten genau das Richtige getan. Nicht die
Helden spielen, sondern das Haus verlassen und flüchten. Kathy
hatte sich einfach ein Rad

* Siehe John Sinclair Nr. 1027: „Der Traum vom Schwarzen Tod“
__________________________________________________ _____________

html view:

<br>
Das Mädchen war über sich selbst hinausgewachsen. Johnny konnte es <br>
nur bewundern. Trotz der Angst war Kathy* nicht durchgedreht. Beide <br>
hatten genau das Richtige getan. Nicht die Helden spielen, sondern das <br>
Haus verlassen und flüchten. Kathy hatte sich einfach ein Rad <br>
<br>
* Siehe John Sinclair Nr. 1027: „Der Traum vom Schwarzen Tod“ <br>
<hr>

inserted view:

Das Mädchen war über sich selbst hinausgewachsen. Johnny
konnte es nur bewundern. Trotz der Angst war Kathy (Siehe
John Sinclair Nr. 1027: „Der Traum vom Schwarzen Tod“) nicht
durchgedreht. Beide hatten genau das Richtige getan. Nicht die
Helden spielen, sondern das Haus verlassen und flüchten. Kathy
hatte sich einfach ein Rad

i've got no idea how to do this.

can anyone help me, please ???????

olaf

(calibre 742, win)

Last edited by schuster; 01-27-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: missing asterisk
schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
This should be, I believe, possible to do with the search & replace feature. Are the books you're trying to convert out of copyright? If so, could you attach a test case? If not, PM me.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuster View Post
<br>
Das Mädchen war über sich selbst hinausgewachsen. Johnny konnte es <br>
nur bewundern. Trotz der Angst war Kathy nicht durchgedreht. Beide <br>
hatten genau das Richtige getan. Nicht die Helden spielen, sondern das <br>
Haus verlassen und flüchten. Kathy hatte sich einfach ein Rad <br>
<br>
* Siehe John Sinclair Nr. 1027: „Der Traum vom Schwarzen Tod“ <br>
<hr>
Did you miss the asterisk behind "Kathy" in this snippet? If so, I have an idea, otherwise, I'm both confused and out of ideas
Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
schuster
Zealot

no,
i want to insert the footnote-text in place after "Kathy" that it looks like in my example "inserted view".
if an asterisk appear in the text and there is a footnote, than the asterisk should be replaced with the text of the footnote.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard

What I meant was that in your original text, an asterisk appears behind the name "Kathy". In your HTML view, it doesn't. Is that an error or is the asterisk really not present in the HTML view?
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
schuster
Zealot

ahh,
now i understand!
thats an error from my side.
the asterisk is present behind "Kathy"

sorry,

-update-
Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

In that, case, here's my idea:
The assumption here is that each footnote is first marked by an asterisk where it should be in the text, followed by some text, followed by an asterisk and the actual footnote. I assume, as in your example, that the footnote itself contains no markup- you'd need to adapt accordingly if that varies for other books.
In the search & replace conversion setting, use the search pattern
Code:
(?s)\*(?P<text>[^*]*?)*(?P<footnote>[^<]*?)
and the replacement string
Code:
\g<footnote> \g<text>
The caveat is that I haven't tested it. When you test the regular expression in the wizard, the text from the first asterisk to the end of the footnote should be highlighted.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
and the replacement string
Code:
\g<footnote> \g<text>
The caveat is that I haven't tested it. When you test the regular expression in the wizard, the text from the first asterisk to the end of the footnote should be highlighted.
The replacement needs to be slightly different from that I think:
Code:
'('+\g<footnote>+') '+\g<text>
The parentheses may need to be escaped by a '\' if you get an error. I haven't tested it either, but I'm pretty sure the first won't work without the plus signs, and of course you want to wrap the footnote in some identifier.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard

Something is seriously wonky here. I'm just testing the expression. I suspect my understanding is wrong somehow, I'll post back when I finish testing.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
schuster
Zealot

yes,
tested right now.
the result makes me not happy.
if you posting a new expression, please be patient to monday morning.
had to make a little holiday this weekend with my kids.

have you any idea to make an expression work with 2 or more footnotes too??
have a little library with tech-books and science, where will be more than one footnote .

greetings
Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard

Okay, I finished testing this. (I used Python directly, not Calibre, but since I used the exact same function, the results should be the same.)
Use this search pattern:
Code:
(?s)\*\s*(?P<text>[^*]*?)\s*\*\s*(?P<footnote>[^<]*)
The replacement pattern is:
Code:
(\g<footnote>) \g<text>
I made the same assumptions as in my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuster View Post
have you any idea to make an expression work with 2 or more footnotes too??
have a little library with tech-books and science, where will be more than one footnote .
Post relevant examples of the HTML, and I'll see what I can do.