Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
3G question

Can you use the 3G *without* subscribing to a dataplan? My mother is debating getting 3G or not. I realize you can't surf the web or send/receive emails via 3G without subscribing to an AT&T dataplan... but can you at least download books from Apple? ...or use a 3G GPS app? Or is 3G completely useless without a dataplan?
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
Can you use the 3G *without* subscribing to a dataplan? My mother is debating getting 3G or not. I realize you can't surf the web or send/receive emails via 3G without subscribing to an AT&T dataplan... but can you at least download books from Apple? ...or use a 3G GPS app? Or is 3G completely useless without a dataplan?
The 3G iPad includes some features (I'm thinking of GPS in particular) that are not included in the WiFi version, so to that extent you are gaining something, but the 3G service itself is useless without an activated data plan.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
You have to have some type of 3G connection for the 3G to work. WIFI of course can still be used to buy and download books, etc.... Where WIFI is available. As far as I know the GPS is a separate thing and would work.... I don't have the 3G, so someone else can come along a tell us for sure.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The 3G iPad includes some features (I'm thinking of GPS in particular) that are not included in the WiFi version, so to that extent you are gaining something, but the 3G service itself is useless without an activated data plan.
goody; i hadn't realized there was an actual GPS processor (or whatever), but figured location was calculated off proximity to cell towers... and thus one might need a dataplan to get location. Sounds like GPS will work regardless of 3G dataplan (but yeah, only with the 3G model).

...had i known that, i prolly woulda sprung for the 3G version myself.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
vonCZ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
You have to have some type of 3G connection for the 3G to work.
yeah, but I thought Apple might have some kinda deal with AT&T such that all 3G connections/services would require a data plan except downloading books via iTunes (or iBooks) from the iStore. This appears to not be the case.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

3G functionality is just mobile data. If you are in range of an open wifi connection you can use that no problem. GPS is a separate system entirely for the location part, however with the preloaded google map it will use GPS to find your location but needs data (wifi or 3G) to load the map. If you are paying for the 3G you also have access to ATT wifi hotspots like McDonalds and Starbucks.

I'd recommend to get the 3G version. Only $130 extra and that way, in the case that you might want to use mobile data away from wifi sometime then you can sign up for that month and then cancel for the following month (cause no contract required).

I just had a long roadtrip/vacation to the western states and having 3G data was helpful a little for example when travelling down the road and wanting to search some info/location.
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
yeah, but I thought Apple might have some kinda deal with AT&T such that all 3G connections/services would require a data plan except downloading books via iTunes (or iBooks) from the iStore. This appears to not be the case.
Like how the Kindle handles 3G, that would have been nice. But no, no 3G service without a plan. Of course you can cancel the plan at any time, so if you just need 3G for a month you can do that. And with the 3G model you get gps functionality without a plan.

One thing I found interesting about 3G, I signed up for the plan just to test it out and cancelled it after 2 weeks. I thought since you pay up front for the whole month that canceling would only cancel the auto plan refresh at the end of the month, but instead they cut off my 3G service immediately. So I payed for a month but only got 2 weeks.

Bottom line, if you only want 3G for a short time (like when you go on a trip) don't cancel the plan until the the end of the month.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

If you need the GPS get the 3G version. If not (and you have an iPhone or Android) just do what I do and tether the iPad to your phone for 3G. I seldom need 3G, but that way when I do it's there. But, if you need the GPS, the the 3G iPad is the way to go....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Of course you can just pay per MB instead of subscribing to a data plan (which should get pretty expensive soon) or turn off 3G data altogether.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you don't plan to make extensive use of 3G, the best thing to do is to go with a "pay as you go" SIM rather than a monthly "plan". There are lots available (at least in the UK - I assume it's the same elsewhere).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #11
vonCZ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
Like how the Kindle handles 3G, that would have been nice.
yeah, I was hoping you could do that with iPad, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
But no, no 3G service without a plan.
fish paste! But thanks: this answers my question.

Quote:
I'd recommend to get the 3G version. Only $130 extra and that way...
The $130 didn't bother me; it's the monthly dataplan fees. But I didn't realize one could 1. pay for just a month, or 2. "pay as you go." Given this, I'll tell my mom to spring for the 3G version.

...and don't I feel like the prize ass! I live in a tiny village in the Czech Republic--with no internet access at home--and bought the WiFi-only iPad a couple weeks ago in the US thinking I wouldn't be able to use the 3G here in CZ. But I, too, could probably use a pay-as-you-go SIM cards here... and finally have internet access at home. doh.

Very helpful responses, by the way. Thanks to all of you!!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
What you always can do is get one of these UMTS-WLAN routers.
For example:

http://www.amazon.de/Huawei-E5-Mobil.../dp/B003SZ2TIA

(sorry for the link in german)

Its a mobile UMTS/WLAN hotspot.

It can be used with the iPad wifi as well as other devices. Its fairly cheap and you can add your favorite dataplan as its unlocked.

Could be useful for you now especially since you already bought the iPad Wifi
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
vonCZ
Connoisseur

thanks harakiri, will definitely look into that. (Or this: )

http://www.amazon.com/Cradlepoint-CT...1103509&sr=8-2

This way my wife would be able to access the net with her little Asus netbook, too. I'm not sure how things work here in CZ, though: I don't know if we can buy a pay-as-you-go dataplan with a USB modem or not; will look into it...
Old 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Similar, smaller device is the Mifi. Portable wifi hotspot using the cell network. Dataplans tend to run a little higher than phone/iPad-based plans, but you can use one Mifi with multiple devices, provided those devices are within about 30 feet of each other. A portable wifi router is probably cheaper if you're going to use it with multiple devices, and if those devices are going to travel in proximity to one another. But if you can get by with one device, the iPad's plan remains pretty competitive, and if you have two iPad's, I think it may still be cheaper in many cases to subscribe to two iPad plans than to have one portable router.

Also keep in mind that I don't think any portable router also functions as a GPS. You can get a general location fix using wifi, but I don't know how/if that works when your wifi signal is from a portable router, and it seems like it would definitely require a data plan if it did work. If GPS is important, the 3G is still the way to go. I seem to remember that, for the iPhone at least, there was a program that would download the relevant maps to your phone so that you would have them even if you were in a poor/no AT&T reception area. If that or something similar works on the iPad, you could still make use of the GPS without paying for data as long as you planned ahead and made sure the maps you needed were already on your iPad.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
rkelac
rkelac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
If you do not have the 3G version iPad, MotionX GPS HD will allow you to download maps ahead of time and it's only $2.99. No driving directions though. A Bluetooth GPS will work with a non-3G version if your iPad is JB.

MotionX GPS Drive HD gives driving directions. But, cannot be loaded without a GPS and has a monthly fee.
rkelac is offline   Reply With Quote