Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #16
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
No, Manually installing effectively bricks your device (Untill you go through the normal setup, or a new workaround is found.)
I don't really understand what the big deal is about having a Kobo account anyways. Are you paranoid? Just cause you have one, doesn't mean you have to give them money or add a credit card. I find it very handy when using https://www.bookbub.com which sends me emails everyday for new free books within my selected genres. I simply click on them in the email and add to them to my kobo library and sync my kobo. So far I've collected 52 books that I would of never thought to go download the epubs for.

Last edited by freekobo; 12-08-2015 at 08:37 AM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
The new firmware does not work with self-registered database... (The error you get is "Critical Error, Your eReader hasn't synchronized with the server yet. Any highlights, notes, or reading progress you've made on the device will be lost.".. the only option is a "Sign out" button that deletes the database.

I've had enough of Kobo for this year.. discuss amongst yourselves, back to Kindle for me.
Kobo readers require a Kobo account. Any other ways to use the features that require that are hacks.

And you are bashing Kobo for not supporting an unofficial hack. There is a problem here.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #18
outlandos
Connoisseur
outlandos doesn't litteroutlandos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This fw version looks solid, hopefully GeoffR will release his patch soon (not pushing him, just saying im looking forward to it). GeoffR is a boss
outlandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #19
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
Installed it manually with a non registered kobo aura hd works without any problem here...
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
No, Manually installing effectively bricks your device (Untill you go through the normal setup, or a new workaround is found.)
Thanks for the heads-up. I made a complete backup before updating.

I've had this issue for a while now, but ... I get random USB bus resets with the Kobo H2O connected to Linux PC. This caused read errors while making the backup (and device redetected under a different name). So I had to re-mount and re-run the backup. And this happened again after copying the update data on and umounting the device. So I had to mount again and verify the update files were correct.

That aside the update itself went without a hitch. Although it turns out the Kobo was registered properly at the time I tried it. I forgot to unregister it after testing my autoshelf shelf sync behaviour some time ago.

So I can't say whether it would brick when not properly registered... but the USB resets worry me.

Emptying registration after the update: device itself works, but when trying to go to settings->account, nickel hangs with 100% CPU usage. So it definitely doesn't seem to like something about it...

Putting crap in the fields instead of leaving them empty '' raises the "critical error" you mentioned. So it seems you can still use fake registration if you stick to empty fields and avoid the "accounts" dialog in the setting.

Last edited by frostschutz; 12-08-2015 at 09:18 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #21
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
What do you mean by manually installing?

Cause if you mean manually copying the update to .kobo and letting it do the update that way, it just worked for me.

Or do you mean another way?
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #22
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
I don't really understand what the big deal is about having a Kobo account anyways. Are you paranoid? Just cause you have one, doesn't mean you have to give them money or add a credit card. I find it very handy when using https://www.bookbub.com which sends me emails everyday for new free books within my selected genres. I simply click on them in the email and add to them to my kobo library and sync my kobo. So far I've collected 52 books that I would of never thought to go download the epubs for.
Same here.

Particularly when there are other readers available that are plug and go.

Perhaps I'm just old ;-)
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #23
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I have at least 5 (loose count after a while)..

The irritation of the device deleting my database and shutting itself down until I go through another dance with them was the straw that broke the cammels back.

I've gone way out of my way, and expense, to support Kobo because "They are not amazon." ( and I don't much like amazon attitude either, but at least they don't regularly show imcompetence.),, but i expect to be met half way.

To be clear, I already own Kindles, so I'm just shelving the Kobo until I feel some irrational desire to play with it again. And if I don't buy the few drm free books available on Kobo anymore, that just means I'll now pay at least 13% less for them. (Thanks to our wonderful government policies, that's the best Kobo can ever achieve on competitive pricing for books, 13% more than the competition eating their lunch.)

Last edited by rashkae; 12-08-2015 at 09:49 AM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #24
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
The light control via the left bezel is still very slow. Back to 3.16 for me.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #25
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thumbs up Good news :)

Perfect for me, thanks for the heads up.

I might just see the need to patch in order to get rid of the 'search shop' thing but then again, I might not (until i find a bug that matters to me, that is the last such bug was the one where you weren't able to turn off pinch to zoom)
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #26
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Pinch to adjust font size on epubs has finally been fixed. unchecking it accually disables it now
Aura now refreshes every every chapter again
Awesome! These were the two fixes I was waiting for. Looks like it's finally time to update from 3.12.1.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #27
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Please explain this, it is confusing,manually install the firmware (by copy it to the Kobo directory) isn't brick anything.
So what do you mean,you don't want to make a kobo account and just put this firmware on it and then without the account settings it would brick ??
I think it just want you to do the setup again,not bricking it ??

If the only problem is gernerating an account then whats the problem with that, use 10 minute mail account, if needed use a proxy and simply not sync ?
Maybe all stupid things/questions but I don't understand it,and the "brick warning" can confuse a lot of people..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The new firmware does not work with self-registered database... (The error you get is "Critical Error, Your eReader hasn't synchronized with the server yet. Any highlights, notes, or reading progress you've made on the device will be lost.".. the only option is a "Sign out" button that deletes the database.

I've had enough of Kobo for this year.. discuss amongst yourselves, back to Kindle for me.
You are using a hack to bypass the registration. You cannot expect Kobo to comply with a hack they didn't authorize. I've registered my H2O and I see nothing at all wrong with that.

As for Kindle, you HAVE to register in order to be able to use collections. This is no different than registering your Kobo.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-08-2015 at 11:51 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #29
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
3.19.5613 looks like a good improvement on 3.18.0 to me, the unofficial FullScreenReading feature is fully functional again, which was the only major problem I had with 3.18.0.

A couple of other minor bug-fixes I noticed:

* The help pages for the Glo now show the correct instructions (single-finger swipe) for changing the brightness level (they used to show the two-finger swipe used by the Aura, which doesn't work on the Glo.)

* The Reading Settings menu now shows the correct options for the Glo (it used to show the Aura's pinch/zoom options, which don't apply to the Glo.)

Other changes:

The old Gothic and Ryumin fonts were in OTF format, the new replacements are in TTF format. I don't know what differences there are, but the ryumin replacement is a lot larger.

Edit: Not fixed:

The TOC/Navigation problems in those ePubs where the publisher has put multiple chapters in one internal file are still present: The tick mark stays beside the first chapter in the file instead of advancing to the current chapter in the file; and the chapter-back << and chapter forward >> buttons do not work properly when the relevant chapter is not the first in the file.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-08-2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Not fixd: ePubs with multiple chapters per file
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm waiting for the patches before I install. This one I'm not going to wait on. Once the patches are out, I'll configure the patches and update.

GeoffR, I'm not trying to rush you. I can easily wait for this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware 3.19, kobo