Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
Cybook won't finish Booting

Sunday morning it was working fine, sunday evening i added a new mobi book to the SD card, replaced the card in the slot, booted up the cybook, it froze on the libary screen, half the pictures came up then it stoped responding. i left it for a minute, nothing happened so i reset it.

now all is does is first screen, second screen, led flash, second screen, led flash, second screen. It continues to go round and round in a loop until I press the reset button. i've tried it with the SD card in, with the SD card out, if the card is in the time between the flashes is longer. I have fully charged it, and it even does the flashing thing when connected to the computer.

i emailed Bookeen Monday, i've had nothing back from them, i've emailed them again tonight.

Any sugestions?
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne80 View Post
Sunday morning it was working fine, sunday evening i added a new mobi book to the SD card, replaced the card in the slot, booted up the cybook, it froze on the libary screen, half the pictures came up then it stoped responding. i left it for a minute, nothing happened so i reset it.

now all is does is first screen, second screen, led flash, second screen, led flash, second screen. It continues to go round and round in a loop until I press the reset button. i've tried it with the SD card in, with the SD card out, if the card is in the time between the flashes is longer. I have fully charged it, and it even does the flashing thing when connected to the computer.

i emailed Bookeen Monday, i've had nothing back from them, i've emailed them again tonight.

Any sugestions?
First, are you using a 4GB card and have you, by chance, exceeded 2GB in files on it? (Yes, one *can* use a 4GB card, but only to hold <2GB of ebooks/files.)

Second, did you, by chance, pull the card out while *in* an ebook? Not necessarily an ebook on the SD card, just in an ebook? If so, you'll definitely need to reset the Cybook.

Third, did you happen to pull the SD card out of the slot *while* the Cybook was either booting or just after you had given it a command to return to the Library - but before it had completed the transition to the Library? Again, a big no-no! You'll have to reset the Cybook - and possibly take the ebook off the SD before re-inserting it.

Fourth... Has anyone noticed the rank instability of the Cybook when dealing with changes to the files on the SD card???

Also, don't forget that if you created the ebook using BD or MobiCreator, if you embedded a *large* image file as the cover image, it *WILL* mess the Cybook when it attempts to create a thumbnail image. Pretty much the same boot, re-boot, re-boot cycle you're currently getting. Small Cover Images Good, Large Cover Images Bad!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Fixed

Bookeen have sent me an update kernel file, which i have applied which has fixed it.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
orlincho
Enthusiast
orlincho began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3(brick)/NOOK/NOKIA E52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne80 View Post
Bookeen have sent me an update kernel file, which i have applied which has fixed it.
Can you check which version is now reported in ABOUT window?
Also did you notice any other improvements in the interface or buttons behavior?
Thanks.
orlincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
jayne80
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlincho View Post
Can you check which version is now reported in ABOUT window?
Also did you notice any other improvements in the interface or buttons behavior?
Thanks.
Although Bookeen called it an update_Kernel i assumed that they sent me a copy of the original firmware in a form that i could flash the Cybook with. The version is still 1.0.
Advert
Old 01-26-2008, 03:58 AM   #6
ant100984
ant100984 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Can you send me the update_kernel file? i've the same problem, my cybook don't finish booting.
thanks.
ant100984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
jayne80
Connoisseur

the email contains this wording so i cannot forward it to you

###This message and any files transmitted with it is intended solely for the designated recipient and may contain privileged, proprietary or otherwise private information. Unauthorized use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. ####

email bookeen and they will email you the link. i emailed both support@bookeen.com and Contact@bookeen.com over two days, after the second email i received a quick reply.

regards
Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #8
ant100984
ant100984 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Ok, thanks a lot.
ant100984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
screenreader
screenreader began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just for the record, It happens the same to me.

I had a sd card with 100mb of manga scanlations and whenever I try to boot the machine it just flash screens in and endless loop with drains battery life quite fast. Somehow and sometimes it ends up booting correctly. But its totally annoying.

I checked the images. They are plain 800x1000 images, about 144kb in size and b/w... when the machine is able to boot, they are displayed with no problem.

What started to really bother me is that now the device fails to boot even without the card inserted. Can it be that the card is low quality and it just plain fails? Every problem Other problems I had with this machine was related in some way to the card.

Just like the above users, I have sent an email to booken asking for that file that's supposed to fix the issue. I'll tell you when they answer, which I hope it's soon, being this a known problem.

Just to ask, does anybody know when is the new firmware update supposed to be released. Thank you!
screenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by screenreader View Post
-SNIP-
I checked the images. They are plain 800x1000 images, about 144kb in size and b/w... when the machine is able to boot, they are displayed with no problem.-SNIP-
I am glad 144 kb images work in Cybook since Mobipocket recommends: "In all cases and for all formats, an image may be resized during the final build of the publication, for an optimal display in the Mobipocket Reader, ie to a size less than 64Kbytes for a GIF-equivalent file size."
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
I am glad 144 kb images work in Cybook since Mobipocket recommends: "In all cases and for all formats, an image may be resized during the final build of the publication, for an optimal display in the Mobipocket Reader, ie to a size less than 64Kbytes for a GIF-equivalent file size."
Thas is just because of a limitation in the MobiPocket format. And images larger than 64Kbytes will work in the Cybook but they will not work on a Palm.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
That is referring specifically to images that are being placed into a MobiPocket book. It does not apply to images displayed directly as image files by the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #13
screenreader
screenreader began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi!

I mailed booken asking for the file or a solution. 15 days waiting and still no answer.

Tried all the addresses: contact, shop, support, orders.

Frustrating.

I am getting really irritated, because this is supposed to be a known and easily fixable problem, as jayne80 stated above.

I'll let you know when something happens. Or doesn't happen.
screenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you've been waiting for 15 days, I think you can reasonably conclude that they haven't received your e-mail. I'd recommend re-sending it, preferable from a different system (eg a Yahoo or Hotmail account).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Harry, if Bookeen is truly not receiving all the email sent to them, don't you think they should fix? That's rather serious to have people believing that they just don't care about support. All they need to do is create a data entry form on their website for support and no chance of lost email. Why isn't Bookeen doing what they can to help their customers? Because either way it's their FAULT! Wither they lose email messages or they don't respond. And both are bad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote