Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-19-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Typefaces for e-ink

Which typefaces are you using? I am trying different typefaces these days and I came across many typefaces in here and around the web but almost all of them are not licensed. I am not going to use an unlicensed typeface.

So, which typefaces you are using that are free to use?

I decided to use this two after searching for a while:

Vollkorn, a nice and readable serif.
Bitter HT, a typeface designed for e-ink, really nice. Slab serif.

Debt is Vollkorn, I'll Be Right There is Bitter HT. Kobo Glo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140719_11_39_25_Pro.jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	125549   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140719_11_40_06_Pro.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	125550  

Last edited by GERGE; 07-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I've grown very fond of the Amasis font since discovering it on my PRS T1, and I was overjoyed when I found out it also came with my newer Aura HD. I use that font in all my Calibre conversions, which is good and bad: on one hand, I always get a very enjoyable font; on the other, all books look the same. I'll have a look at those you posted, it might be worth it introducing some variety and having a rotation.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My favorite is still LexiaDaMa. It's a thicker font that's pretty close to Amazon's Caecilia font that suits my crappy eyesight. If you search the forums for fonts, you'll find many threads about people's favorite fonts, many with samples posted like you have done.

In the end, choose what you like the best and find most enjoyable to read with.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm completely "font agnostic". I always use whatever the default font is in any reading app or device; it's just not important to me. Probably the result of growing up with pbooks where one has no say in the matter of fonts .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Caecilia actually belongs to Linotype: http://www.linotype.com/1183474/PMNC...xt-family.html

Last edited by GERGE; 07-21-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I like the "Stone Serif Regular.ttf", it is a lot like your Bitter HT but perhaps a little darker, more solid.
Version: Altsys Fontographer 3.5 11/25/92

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-19-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
My only requirement is that the font is serif. San-serif just doesn't work for me. Currently Caecilia on my Fire.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My font of choice is my modified Charis SIL. Very nice font for eInk. One of the best (IMHO).

It's free and the link is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-18-2016 at 04:42 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have vision issues and I find the standard font that comes with eink devices to work quite well. I just change the size.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have vision issues and I find the standard font that comes with eink devices to work quite well. I just change the size.
In some cases, the default font lacks weight. That's why I modified CharisSIL to add more weight. So it gives more contrast and even at a larger size it looks better. The hinted version fixes some font issues such as thin lines. While the default font may be OK, a hand tweaked font can be better.

I have tried my version of CharisSIL on a Kindle Touch and it looks much better then the default Kindle font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
I'm with Alfy -- I prefer the built-in Amasis font on my Aura HD. Some of the other built-ins, and a few I've sideloaded are acceptable, but I keep going back to Amasis. It just seems to disappear (so to speak) while I read, whereas other fonts seem to draw attention to themselves in one way or another.
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I prefer Roboto regular. Better for my eyes in the larger font sizes. But I don't bother changing the fonts via Calibre; I just have this font set up as the default on Moon Reader.

Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #13
GERGE
Guru

If you are using Roboto, you really should upgrade to the last month's release. It solves many problems the typeface has. Here: http://www.google.com/design/spec/style/typography.html
Old 07-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #14
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I was using Amasis on my Kobo Aura HD for most of the reading but somtimes prefer to go with DroidSerif, just for the change.
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #15
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I prefer Georgia when rendering ebook text, it's fairly easy to read at any size. The only thing I dislike about Georgia are the way it displays numbers. Example:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

In the case of the above, I usually choose another typeface for groups of numbers.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote