Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is good code for dealing with a dropcap that needs to be two characters such as a quote and the following letter?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #62
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi Pablo!

Just a few words to thank you for your Quick and dirty ePub tutorial. When I began to learn epub file format around 9 months ago, your guide was the one I looked first.

After a while, we forget rapidly where we started and it's nice that someone take care of newbies.

Can I suggest you 2 little things?

Your guide has 3 main sections:
1) general informations about Html, CSS and ePub format;
2) Which is related to Sigil and;
3) Advanced formatting tasks.

So I think it would be more logical to keep the subsection "Back to Sigil: Code View vs. Book View" with the main Sigil section.

My other suggestion is: why not create an ePub version of your Guide? I understand easily that pdf format allows a more precise presentation of the informations, but an epub file could show directly the code you are using for, by example, a Drop Cap.

Anyway thanks again Pablo!
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #63
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Hi Pablo!

Just a few words to thank you for your Quick and dirty ePub tutorial. When I began to learn epub file format around 9 months ago, your guide was the one I looked first. After a while, we forget rapidly where we started and it's nice that someone take care of newbies.
I'm glad you found it useful! This guide is my way of giving back something in return for all the help I got here.

Quote:
Can I suggest you 2 little things?

Your guide has 3 main sections:
1) general informations about Html, CSS and ePub format;
2) Which is related to Sigil and;
3) Advanced formatting tasks.

So I think it would be more logical to keep the subsection "Back to Sigil: Code View vs. Book View" with the main Sigil section.
That section is there on purpose: the idea was , first, to show that you really need to write HTML code to format your book and after that, show how inadequate is BV for even the simplest tasks.

Quote:
My other suggestion is: why not create an ePub version of your Guide? I understand easily that pdf format allows a more precise presentation of the informations, but an epub file could show directly the code you are using for, by example, a Drop Cap.
That's a good idea, I will have a look at it and maybe post an epub version in 30-45 days.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #64
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wonderful Pablo!

If time allows me, I could make a French version (if you want).

¿Y por qué no una versión en español también?

¡Buenas noches!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #65
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wonderful Pablo!

If time allows me, I could make a French version (if you want).
Sure, why not? Go ahead!

Quote:
¿Y por qué no una versión en español también?

¡Buenas noches!
Hace tiempo que tengo ganas de hacer una versión en mi idioma, ahora que tenemos un foro en español, tal vez sea el momento adecuado.

¡Gracias por tu interés y aportes!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #66
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Hi Pablo

Great tutorial. Thanks for the time and effort you have put into its development.

As a complete newbie I wish I had found your tutorial prior to undertaking the w3 courses. It would have made things a lot easier.

Regards
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #67
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
Hi Pablo

Great tutorial. Thanks for the time and effort you have put into its development.

As a complete newbie I wish I had found your tutorial prior to undertaking the w3 courses. It would have made things a lot easier.

Regards
Kevin
I'm glad you like it!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #68
Pablo
Guru

As per Arios request, I have generated an ePub version of the tutorial (see first post of this thread for the file).
Old 04-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #69
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Pablo,

I have had a really quick glance to the epub, but it looks very fine: gracias!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #70
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Pablo,

I have had a really quick glance to the epub, but it looks very fine: gracias!
Thanks, now you can make your French version...
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #71
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Sorry Pablo, I'm late.

Ok, I'll try to do it, insofar as I have some free time. BTW, I've already started...

Have a nice day!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #72
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Sorry Pablo, I'm late.

Ok, I'll try to do it, insofar as I have some free time. BTW, I've already started...

Have a nice day!
Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #73
ecbritz
Book Concocter
ecbritz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks for this "guide for dummies". The author can be assured that especially new Sigil users need and appreciate this. So any new editing or development of the pdf or epub is going to be read and used widely.
ecbritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #74
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is good code for dealing with a dropcap that needs to be two characters such as a quote and the following letter?
As far as appearance?

Specifying a negative left margin so that the quote mark approximately falls in the margin would be best for printing, but that sucks for onscreen viewing because of the need to waste space with a positive left margin on every page to accommodate it.

If you're really enterprising, this is where an "@media print" comes in handy. Just do it in a separate css file, since ADE vomits on media queries, IIRC.

Beyond that detail, there's not really any difference between a single-character drop cap and a multi-character drop cap. I size the leading quotes the same as the drop cap, but that's a question of personal preference. Others may prefer to make them smaller or specifically design a font with narrow quotation marks so that they take up less horizontal space.

Last edited by dgatwood; 05-03-2013 at 10:52 PM.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #75
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Can I place a vote that this thread should be a stickie? It really helps new people getting around and I find myself directing people to this thread regularly.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote