Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How can I insert images into a prose narrative?

Specifically, like Dan Brown-style, and still have the images show up neatly in between paragraphs after converting them into epub, mobi, etc. ??

Thanks to anyone who can offer some guidance.
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My book has 55 color photos in it... (forensic stuff).

I converted it in Sigil, adding the photos that were already sized to 600w x 800 tall (or a few shorter) worked well. Conversion to .mobi went fine with Caliber.
[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

They look great on Kindle (B&W of course), iPhone, iPad or a Droid for that matter.

L

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-07-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your excellent advice, Lazer! I will definitely give that a try.
I just added some karma to you for your help.
Though I do wish I could have seen what picture you posted as an example before that mod deleted it from your original post...

Anyway, thanks, Lazer for the help.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
with flourish language.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
oooops.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
My book has 55 color photos in it... (forensic stuff).

I converted it in Sigil, adding the photos that were already sized to 600w x 800 tall (or a few shorter) worked well. Conversion to .mobi went fine with Caliber.
[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

They look great on Kindle (B&W of course), iPhone, iPad or a Droid for that matter.

L
The moderator caught me sneaking in a bit of promotion, I've apologized to him directly. (I certainly don't envy your job.) The original photo height was was taller than the forum allows.... I think this one fits.

I used GIMP (it's free) to properly size all the photos and add text if needed. I think the text (embedded in the photo) is a good idea for an ebook since you can't be sure where text added below a photo might end up (based on the font size set by the reader). It's also a handy program for cover design. The pictures look GREAT on a K3 and are fine on a K2.

I'm currently writing in Scrivener (and love it)... I'll probably export my 2nd book from Scrivener as an ePub and then add the images in Sigil... so far I haven't had the luck in Scrivener with images as I had with Sigil. Final formatting will be done in Calibre.

I hope this helps.

L

p.s. Don:
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Discussions of this type are much better held in the "Workshop" forum than here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonbug1 View Post
Specifically, like Dan Brown-style, and still have the images show up neatly in between paragraphs after converting them into epub, mobi, etc. ??

Thanks to anyone who can offer some guidance.
You might like to look at my version of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins in the MR library.

HarryT has also done illustrated versions of several Jane Austen ebooks in the MR library.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Depends what you are using to create them with and what the final output is. For Smashwords, just import the pictures into Word. For mobi/epub, do it in an html editor. I'm not sure why, but images I create need to be greyscale or they won't show up in my Kindle at all.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Joonbug1
Groupie

Many thanks for the new replies and tips. I'll experiment and report back.
Thanks again for being a helpful community.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
I've imported and used full color images for the Kindle, you just have to remember that most eReaders are not great image renderer's, and unless you are running through a LCD tablet which isn't industry standard (yet) you have to be prepared for some image compromise.

Use what ever program you use to build your eBook to place the image were you want it, keep it basic though image text image works better than left or right text flows because eBooks work best with a unstructured format.
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Mayzshon
Enthusiast
Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is a problem I've been dealing with since since starting the "Limekiller at Large" series. Since it's a hybrid between a serialized novel and a comic book, it's essential that I not only get images in, but that they be where I put them.
I work in Open Office, so one thing I do is use either the Anchor to page, or anchor to paragrah commands. I also export as a pdf, and I use calibre to do my own conversions.
Not one hundred percent successful yet, but still working on it.
Mayzshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why are you creating PDF files, as a matter of interest? PDF is a terrible choice of format for an ebook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #13
Mayzshon
Enthusiast
Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I found that when I create the pdf files, the graphics are better at staying where I want them when they are further converted to kindle format.
Mayzshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
PDF and ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why are you creating PDF files, as a matter of interest? PDF is a terrible choice of format for an ebook.
Why? Only the ones that come from Scans. This looks terrible on a small screen.
If you create a genuine PDF you have actually a lot of advantages. Pagenumbering for one,pictures(quality).
As soon as you use a large enough sreen the problems are gone.
People now are used to read on an IPhone and small devices.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayzshon View Post
I found that when I create the pdf files, the graphics are better at staying where I want them when they are further converted to kindle format.
Text sometimes gets jumbled up when you convert pdf to mobi, so unless it's basically a picture book with short captions I wouldn't go through pdf first.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote