Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #226
Lloyd Simcoe
immortal observer
Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I don't think this is complicated. If ADE (or a web browser for that matter) fails to find the referenced font then it uses the default font, and hence the question marks. The "res://" is with respect to the app's root directory, but that does not have to be the system's root directory. So, the Mac ADE has the expected root but the Window's ADE has some other root - which we don't know (or I guess it could have no root at all, for "security" reasons).

There are a couple of examples of this with mobile ADE:

The Windows Sony ebook library reader has a root of C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin.
Apparently something has changed with the release of version 3.3 of Sony Reader Library, because it no longer recognizes my external fonts. Does anybody have a solution?
Lloyd Simcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #227
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Should this work on a Sony PRS-350?

I tried doing this on a book downloaded from MR (the most excellent The Count of Monte Cristo).

I added the fonts folder to my device and included the code in the Calibre extra css section then re-converted the book.

When I open the book it still appears to be using the same old font.

Thanks!
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #228
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@notsure,
I don't have a PRS-350 but I believe it should work. Is it possible to attach your converted epub for a closer look?

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-02-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #229
notsure
Zealot

Sure!

This is what I put into calibre's extra css section;

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Fontin";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Regular.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Italic.ttf);
}

body {
  font-family: "Fontin", serif;
}
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas_ Alexandre.epub (1.17 MB, 421 views)

Last edited by notsure; 11-14-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #230
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@notsure

Try this:

Reimport the original epub, i.e. before you did any conversions.

Convert using all the ExtraCSS you had before, but replace
Code:
body {
}
with
Code:
body.calibre {
}

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-14-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #231
notsure
Zealot

That did the trick!

How did you know to do that? I didn't see it listed anywhere.

Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #232
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
How did you know to do that? I didn't see it listed anywhere.
Unfortunately there is no one way which always works. You have to look at the HTML and CSS inside the epub to decide what needs to go in ExtraCSS.

In your source epub each piece of HTML started with:
Code:
<body text="#000000" class="calibre">
rather than just plain
Code:
<body>
And the relevant bit of CSS contained:
Code:
.calibre {
    background-color: #fff;
    display: block;
    font-family: Times New Roman;
    font-size: 1em;
    line-height: normal;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 13pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    page-break-before: always;
    text-align: justify
    }

i.e. the font-family you needed to override was at a lower level than <body>. Hence, to replace "Times New Roman" with "Fontin" in the converted epub CSS you needed the ExtraCSS to specify
body.calibre {font-family: "Fontin", serif;}

[By the way, I know you didn't create the source epub, but for info, there should have been double quotes around the Times New Roman because it contained spaces.]

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-15-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #233
notsure
Zealot

Ahhhh. That kind of makes sense to me.

I guess I will have to experiment some more on my own with different epubs.

These forums are an amazing resource thanks to people like you.

Cheers.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #234
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, this trick works on the 350, 650, & 950.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #235
elanamig
elanamig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, this trick works on the 350, 650, & 950.
I tried the steps to add Liberation fonts (for cyrillic support) to PRS-350, but it did not work... All cyrillic characters show up as ?...

What I did:

1. Added Liberation directory to fonts directory, with Liberation .ttf fonts inside.
2. Added the following refs into the CSS using Sigil:

@font-face {
font-family: 'Liberation', serif, sans-serif;
src: url((res:///Data/fonts/Liberation/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
src: url((res:///Data/fonts/Liberation/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf);
}
@font-face {
src: url((res:///Data/fonts/Liberation/LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
src: url((res:///Data/fonts/Liberation/LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf);
}

3. Added the following to css:
body.calibre {
font-family: "Liberation", sans-serif;
}

(Since body tag has class=calibre).

What else could I be missing???
Any help would be super-greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited by elanamig; 01-02-2011 at 05:49 PM.
elanamig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #236
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@elanamig,
Can you post the whole css file contained in the epub which isn't working?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #237
elanamig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@elanamig,
Can you post the whole css file contained in the epub which isn't working?
Thank you for replying to my call for help!!

The css file was generated by calibre when I converted fb2 to epub. Here it is (Please, note, that since my last post I got rid of the "Liberation" directory in the fonts folder, since I thought that maybe sony does not load fonts recursively from dirs):

@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf);
}
@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf);
}
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";

body.calibre {
font-family: "Liberation", sans-serif;
}

.MsoNormal {
font-family: "Times New Roman";
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
}
.Section {
page: Section1
}
.book {
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-top: 1em;
}
.calibre {
font-size: 0.75em;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
page-break-before: always
}
.calibre1 {
font-size: 1.33333em;
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-top: 1em;
}
.calibre10 {
color: blue;
cursor: pointer;
text-decoration: underline
}
.calibre2 {
font-family: Arial;
font-size: 1em
}
.calibre3 {
color: inherit;
cursor: inherit;
text-decoration: inherit
}
.calibre4 {
font-size: 1.33333em
}
.calibre5 {
font-style: italic
}
.calibre6 {
font-weight: bolder
}
.calibre7 {
font-size: 0.77778em;
line-height: normal;
vertical-align: super
}
.calibre8 {
font-size: 1.71429em
}
.calibre9 {
margin-bottom: 1.67em;
margin-top: 1.67em;
}

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #238
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

The problem you have with this file is that there are font-family statements at a "lower level" than body or body.calibre.

You should be able to correct the already-converted epub by amending the epub's css file in Sigil or with Tweak-epub in calibre (whatever you're comfortable with). Given the settings in your @font-face statements, there is more than one way to fix this but the following 2 steps should work:

1. Change all those instances of
Code:
to
Code:
font-family: serif; (or font-family: "Liberation";)
and all those instances of
Code:
to
Code:
font-family: sans-serif;  (or font-family: serif; or font-family: "Liberation";)
I don't want to confuse you but I feel I should also add that the above could also have been achieved via the original Calibre conversion to EPUB if the Calibre ExtraCSS had matched your source file. I can't see the source file so I can't tell you what it should have been. If you want to pursue this for future info, send me a PM and we can take it from there.
2. You also need to make sure your actual font files are in exactly the correct directory as specified in your @font-face statements. e.g. you have referred to the Regular serif font as
Code:
res:///Data/fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf
which means that looking at your Sony in your PC's file browser you should have a directory
Code:
[Drive:]/fonts
containing the file
Code:
LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf
Everything is case-sensitive so directory names, filenames and extensions must match EXACTLY.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-02-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #239
elanamig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The problem you have with this file is that there are font-family statements at a "lower level" than body or body.calibre.

You should be able to correct the already-converted epub by amending the epub's css file in Sigil or with Tweak-epub in calibre (whatever you're comfortable with). Given the settings in your @font-face statements, there is more than one way to fix this but the following 2 steps should work:

1. Change all those instances of
Code:
to
Code:
font-family: serif; (or font-family: "Liberation";)
and all those instances of
Code:
to
Code:
font-family: sans-serif;  (or font-family: serif; or font-family: "Liberation";)
I don't want to confuse you but I feel I should also add that the above could also have been achieved via the original Calibre conversion to EPUB if the Calibre ExtraCSS had matched your source file. I can't see the source file so I can't tell you what it should have been. If you want to pursue this for future info, send me a PM and we can take it from there.
2. You also need to make sure your actual font files are in exactly the correct directory as specified in your @font-face statements. e.g. you have referred to the Regular serif font as
Code:
res:///Data/fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf
which means that looking at your Sony in your PC's file browser you should have a directory
Code:
[Drive:]/fonts
containing the file
Code:
LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf
Everything is case-sensitive so directory names, filenames and extensions must match EXACTLY.

It seems so obvious now that you pointed it out. Changing all font-family refs to Liberation worked. I got rid of the fonts dir on the reader and added a fonts dir to the epub instead, just to make sure all references are good.

What confused me about this before is that Adobe Digital Editions reads the messed up css without problems. But Sony is pickier.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #240
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Well I'm glad it worked for you but I'm slightly surprised as it sounds as if you've embedded the fonts in the epub. I was under the impression that if you do this you must also list the font files in the <manifest> section of the epub's .opf file. Did you do this? If not, perhaps the Sony isn't as picky as you thought.

Tags
epub, fonts