Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
engnrd
blargh
engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.engnrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Having problems registering Amazon account on a previously jailbroken 1st gen PW

Quick version: is there anything I should do to my kindle before I contact Amazon's customer service to try and figure out why I can't register my account? It was previously jailbroken so that I could use Collection Manager on it, but I just updated it to FW 5.3.9 which to my understanding nullifies the jailbrake. Is there anything left on the kindle that I should get rid of?

Extra details in case someone here has any ideas: When I go to register my Amazon account I get an Error, Internal-Error popup. I'm in Australia right now, but my account was opened in the US and the kindle was bought there too - not sure if that's an issue. I've been trying to register for two days now, so I'm assuming it's not an issue with the Amazon servers. I was on FW 5.3.0 before (old, I know) and the kindle had been in airplane mode for over a year, but I'd been having issues with the kindle freezing and the screen-light staying on sometimes, so I thought I'd try updating it before trying a factory reset.
engnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
IF you do a Factory Reset it Will update to newest software.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, I doubt that Kindle Customer Service will assist you. You have violated Amazon's Terms of Service by jailbreaking the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
You might try the developer's corner, but otherwise looks like a factory reset is the first thing to try. Then if you want you can register it and redo the jailbreak, assuming the reset works. I think I would try the devs first, they are pretty helpful.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
You might try the developer's corner, but otherwise looks like a factory reset is the first thing to try. Then if you want you can register it and redo the jailbreak, assuming the reset works. I think I would try the devs first, they are pretty helpful.
A factory reset will not affect the Jailbreak.
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I doubt the jailbreak affects registration. My kindles are jb'ed and registered. Unless you have installed some anti big brother hack that prevents the kindle from contacting amazon.

I suspect it's the bought in US / registered in AU thing. Try to remove all installed hacks and JB. If that does not work, do a factory reset. If that does not work, call amazon.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, there's no problem buying a Kindle in one country and registering it in another. I've done that with several Kindles.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Did you buy the Kindle from Amazon or privately? If it was purchased privately or through eBay, it may have been recorded as stolen at Amazon. If that is true, it can never be registered in any country.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote