Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I don't think they've added anything people have really asked for, though.. monospace just let them sell more books, so did Audible.

People have been yelling for folders or something similar since day one - and we STILL don't have it.

Two columns would be nice in horizontal mode, but I'm not holding my breath.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Update: You DO get two column support in horizontal mode!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #18
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Oh my...

Please could you post a photo?

Yay!
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #19
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, no camera until my new iPhone gets here...

The landscape mode basically just shows about the top half of a page vertically, and expanded horizontally so it's more readable. Although turning pages is kind-of a pain with the button on top or bottom.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #20
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
...but that's not two-column... I was expecting something along the way a paperback book flattened looks. : (
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #21
sirbruce
Provocateur

Sorry, I'm getting confused here. Detayls asked first about two-page mode... that it doesn't do, at any orientation. Then he asked about two-column mode; I assumes that means a PDF with two columns on the same page. And yes it does show those, both columns at the same time, at any orientation.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #22
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Two page mode means...

Two Pages from an AMAZON fiction book with the DX held in landscape mode so that it looks like seeing both pages like you see when you hold a book open.

PDF two column mode is NOT what I was talking about. The PDF file will have formatting in it.

I need to be able to buy a regular book from Amazon and display it like I am holding an open book with two side-by-side printed pages. This will involve the Kindle software somehow being told to do this and REFLOW the text so that it appears like this.

Now, repeated question, has anyone any idea whether this is possible now or in future Kindle firmware versions?

Thanks!
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Now, repeated question, has anyone any idea whether this is possible now or in future Kindle firmware versions?
It isn't possible now. We don't know what will be in future firmware releases, but Amazon has not in the past updated firmware except to add new features that publishers can use to make more ebooks available on the Kindle (e.g. better image zoom and a monotype font).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #24
jcgam69
jcgam69 began at the beginning.

Device: DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
It's not a coincidence that newspapers and magazines use narrow column formats and multiple columns per page. It is an obvious fact that overlong lines are difficult and tiring to read.
The solution to that problem is simple - without a firmware update. Just change the words per line setting.

Portrait mode, landscape mode, words per line, and text size are all available to customize our reading experience. Why do we need a multi-page view mode? I don't understand...
jcgam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgam69 View Post
The solution to that problem is simple - without a firmware update. Just change the words per line setting.

Portrait mode, landscape mode, words per line, and text size are all available to customize our reading experience. Why do we need a multi-page view mode? I don't understand...
It looks nice.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #26
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can only read one of the pages at a time, so I don't see why you would want to have 2 displayed on the screen. It just takes up room that could be used for one page.

Changing to the next page isn't that hard!
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do I explain this...

In encyclopedias, textbooks, and other reference books more than one column is the norm becuase the page is often too wide to be read comfortably. This is also true when the KDX is in landscape mode. A single column of text across the full screen is less pleasant to read than if there are two columns.

I have a device with a similar screen size and I like having 2 columns. It enhances the reading experience.

Yes, the KDX can have fewer words per line. Unfortunately, it results in larger margins and fewer words on the screen. What is the point of having the big screen when so much of it is wasted?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes, the KDX can have fewer words per line. Unfortunately, it results in larger margins and fewer words on the screen. What is the point of having the big screen when so much of it is wasted?
The way I would put this is: why have landscape mode at all for reflowable ebooks? I think the answer will turn out to be that landscape mode is more useful on smaller screens, like the iPhone or even the K2 than on the KDX. The usual reason for landscape is to get more complete words per line with a font that is relatively large for the screen size, but this does not apply to the KDX because is has the same font sizes as the K2.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The way I would put this is: why have landscape mode at all for reflowable ebooks? I think the answer will turn out to be that landscape mode is more useful on smaller screens, like the iPhone or even the K2 than on the KDX. The usual reason for landscape is to get more complete words per line with a font that is relatively large for the screen size, but this does not apply to the KDX because is has the same font sizes as the K2.
Actually, I think the KDX should have 2 column mode on both landscape and portrait. I've attached 4 screen shots taken on my Airpanel 100 while running MobiReader 4.8. The Airpanel has a 10" screen (with a resolution of 800x600). The size isn't that different from that of the KDX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrSnap001.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	30686   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrSnap002.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	30687   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrSnap003.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	30688   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrSnap004.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	30689  
Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #30
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The way I would put this is: why have landscape mode at all for reflowable ebooks?
I think the idea is, at least partially, for those books with illustrations (such as textbooks). When the Kindle is in landscape mode, the illustrations are (sometimes, at least) zoomed more.

Also, I imagine that many longer equations, poetry, etc. look better in landscape mode. In the experimental "web browser", web pages also tend to display better in landscape mode.

BTW, as a long-time iLiad v1 user, I just got my Kindle DX and am loving it! So I'm not unbiased.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote