Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Charging issue - battery down to zero

This has happened for the second time within a week. The battery gauge of my Reader 650 is down by one bar when I stop reading a book. I make sure it's turned off. The next day I am trying to turn it on again - but the scree remains blank. Nothing works, not even a reset. I plug into a USB port. The red charging light illuminates. After a while the device comes back to life, reboots and shows the charging symbol. The battery was completely discharged!

Does anyone else have similar problems with the battery charge suddenly dropping from three bars to zero overnight?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
As a former 505 owner (and hopefully 950 user this winter), I never had that problem. However, I have read in this forum that where the Sony readers get their "charge" can be a big issue. For quick partial recharges, using the USB to pc connection is OK. For the best charge, overnight using an AC wall connection is best. There are some big amperage differences in the power sources and it seems to make a difference even though the voltage is 5VDC. The new touch readers use a Sony charger at 1500 mah which is well beyond the typical 500-1000 in most cell phone devices. good luck!
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info. Well, my old 505 doesn't exhibit this problem either. But with the 650 (for which I don't have a charger yet), this is quite frustrating. I'd be surprised if it's related to USB charging alone, considering that this is the only option Sony offers in the original package.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
When charging via the computer, does the computer go to sleep or hibernation at any time?

The usb needs to be powering the Reader continuously to charge. Otherwise the usb will completely drain the battery.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

BTW Alex, change your info to read PRS-650 and NOT PRS-605
Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
BTW Alex, change your info to read PRS-650 and NOT PRS-605
Heh, thanks for the pointer. Fixed!

I am fairly certain the computer stayed on (in fact, I believe it's one of those always-powered USB ports). On the Reader's display it said that the battery was fully charged and the red light was off before I unplugged it.

It charged again 100% - will keep an eye on things and report back.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You DO need a full mains charge, Alex. Never rely with a Sony on a USB charge through the PC or laptop, and likewise don't rely on the over-optimistic battery level meter on the device. I had all the problems your facing a couple of years ago before I picked up an AC charger and haven't had the slightest hitch since. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Alrighty, thanks for the heads-up! I am going to order a charger as we speak!

EDIT: I believe my wife's Blackberry has a micro-USB charger (5V, 700mA). Will try that one, too.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 10-31-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard

Others have tried the blackberry charger and reported that they work.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
You DO need a full mains charge, Alex. Never rely with a Sony on a USB charge through the PC or laptop, and likewise don't rely on the over-optimistic battery level meter on the device. I had all the problems your facing a couple of years ago before I picked up an AC charger and haven't had the slightest hitch since. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
I have a 650 and I charged it via the USB port as I didn't have a separate charger. The 650 is fine. It's not discharging any sooner then it should. I have an iGo outlet charger with an a97 tip. It seems most cell phone chargers that use the same USB plug may work fine.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-31-2010 at 08:37 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do you use a memory card? I had constant problems with the charge holding on my 600 (which I used with a 4GB memory stick). When I upgraded to the 650, for one reason or another, I didn't use the memory stick right away. I was so happy to see it hold its charge as long as I remembered the 505 doing (which I used SD cards with, by the way).

Then in the last week or so, I inserted my memory stick (cleaned out, but otherwise the same one) and loaded it up with books. And my reader's going from 4 bars to 1 over night. And charging (where the red light turns off and the display shows fully charged) seems to happen too quickly.

Maybe I have a bad card? Or maybe the reader eats energy with a card? I'll probably try swapping a new memory stick to see if there's any possibility I just have a bad card...

Last edited by FizzyWater; 11-01-2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: its vs. it's
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Good idea, but no, no card. Even in my old Readers (505 and 500) I never used a card to save battery.

Well, after charging my new 650 through USB and then discovering that my wife's charger would fit, I charged it too with the charger, and within 30 minutes the red light switched off. I will now test how long it lasts.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Let us know how it works out, Alex. I am having no problems with battery life on my 650.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #14
Nikko73
Enthusiast
Nikko73 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura One (after Hanlin, Sony and other Kobo devices)
I have had the 650 for about 6 weeks now and have had an issue with the battery. About 2 weeks ago it went from 4 bars to 2 in a day (when ordinarily it would have stayed on 4 or dropped to 3). I recharged via a plug charger and the same thing happened. I was a bit perplexed and decided to power the device on and off again (I usually just go into sleep mode). And this has fixed the problem, it now works as it did before. I can only presume that the processor was working while in the sleep mode and this was causing the battery drain. By shutting down and 'rebooting' the device it was no longer having to process the errant thread. Its all guesswork though.
Nikko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Nope, never had my Sony drop below 3 bars (yet ) Connecting to the PC too often I think!

I did do the first charge with a charger, not by the PC...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote