Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Lobo59
Lobo59 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
eReader Books to Sony Reader conversion?

Just received my Sony ereader last week and love it. I've been reading ebooks since 2001 on Palm OS PDA's purchased mainly from ereader.com and a few from Mobipocket. In fact the other day I noticed that I've purchased over 100 books from ereader.com. It would be nice to be able to read those books on the PRS-500 and I'm wondering if anyone has been able to convert ereader.com books to the Sony format. I've been browsing the site and there is a ton of stuff! Too much for me to wade through and hoping that there's someone out there to point me in the correct direction. I could email ereader.com and ask them to convert but imagine that's a long shot. Is it possible to convert the books, keeping the DRM rights and use the same unlock code to read them on the Sony ereader? Thanks in advance for any help and I'm very impressed with this site!

Lobo
Lobo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can't be done, to the best of my knowledge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's not impossible to break the encryption, it's just that no one has bothered (that I know of). I will take a look at it. A few questions:

1. What is the file suffix?

2. Do you have to type in a password to open the file?

3. Would you be willing to give me one ebook, the password, and a copy of the eReader software?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
^
1. The suffix is pdb for the base file; it expands upon opening to three different files (can't remember their suffixes and too lazy to look atm...) I'm pretty sure at least one of them is a page history/etc.
2. You have to supply the name of the person the account bought under and the credit card number that was used to purchase the book (and/or that was registered at the time of download. To change the CC number that it's downloaded under at eReader.com you have to use that number to purchase at least one ebook.)
3. eReader software (basic) is free at eReader.com. I don't know about the asker, but (even though I've seen you post much,) I'd be really uncertain about supplying a live credit card number to anyone I met via a forum. --Except my wife...
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
^
1. The suffix is pdb for the base file; it expands upon opening to three different files (can't remember their suffixes and too lazy to look atm...) I'm pretty sure at least one of them is a page history/etc.
2. You have to supply the name of the person the account bought under and the credit card number that was used to purchase the book (and/or that was registered at the time of download. To change the CC number that it's downloaded under at eReader.com you have to use that number to purchase at least one ebook.)
3. eReader software (basic) is free at eReader.com. I don't know about the asker, but (even though I've seen you post much,) I'd be really uncertain about supplying a live credit card number to anyone I met via a forum. --Except my wife...
You can just purchase a book with a one-time credit card number (such as those provided by citicard, called virtual credit number). You can set credit limit and expiration date for those numbers.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Lobo59
Lobo59 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
It is correct that to send a book for someone to convert that to unlock it, it would be necessary to include my name and the Credit Card number I used to buy it. Obviously I'm uncomfortable in doing that, but I do appreciate the offer to try! I was hoping to get lucky and find out that someone had already figured out how to do it.

Thanks....

Lobo
Lobo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I'd love to have this possible as I bought a large amount of eReader books for reading on Palm and PPC, now I use a Reader, oh well
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo59 View Post
It is correct that to send a book for someone to convert that to unlock it, it would be necessary to include my name and the Credit Card number I used to buy it. Obviously I'm uncomfortable in doing that, but I do appreciate the offer to try! I was hoping to get lucky and find out that someone had already figured out how to do it.

Thanks....

Lobo
I'm sorry, I thought it was only the number (and I figured you had used a temp or fake number). I wouldn't have asked otherwise.

I only asked because I don't have any books in that format. Since it's a problem I don't have, I will not spend money to find a solution.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm sorry, I thought it was only the number (and I figured you had used a temp or fake number). I wouldn't have asked otherwise.

I only asked because I don't have any books in that format. Since it's a problem I don't have, I will not spend money to find a solution.
There is a solution maybe. Try one of these free books from eReader.
http://www.ereader.com/feature/book/category/149
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
You might try Calibre software. http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

This is a third party eBook library software, that does format conversion. It does support conversion to/from the PDB format. And does do formats that are compatible with the Sony. And it is free. And according to some people, it is better than the Sony library software.

Quote:
calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, TCR, TXT Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, TCR, TXT

** PRC is a generic format, calibre supports PRC files with TextRead and MOBIBook headers
According to Sony, supported formats include:

Quote:
The Reader supports the following file formats:
Unsecured Text: BBeB Book, Adobe® PDF, Adobe Digital Editions 1.5 or later, TXT, RTF, EPUB, Microsoft® Word (Conversion to the Reader-requires Word to be installed on your PC)
DRM Text: Adobe DRM-protected content, BBeB Book (Marlin) - Purchased through the eBook Store from Sony

NOTE: Adobe Digital Editions 1.5 or later and Adobe DRM-protected content requires the installation of the most current version of the eBook Library software which is available through the software and drivers link on this page.
Unsecured Audio: MP3 and AAC7
Image: JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP
BUT
Quote:
Only model PRS-500 does not support the EPUB format. All current and recently announced models support the format.

We will be providing an update path for owners of the PRS-500 upon conversion of the store content. To be automatically notified when the update solution is available, send an email to feedback@ebookstore.sony.com with PRS500 Update in the subject line.
So it looks like it will convert from PDB to EPUB, and that would be usable on all SOny Readers except the PRS-500.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Once you get the hang of it converting ereader to html and then using Calibre to convert to a format of your choosing is quite easy. Look up the ereader2html workshop (workshop thread), which is really helpful. I have no programming skills, and as somebody else has described it - I use my computer like my car - I'm quite good at driving, but don't have clue what is happening under the bonnet. I needed rescuing but help was readily at hand.

I have a prs505 and currently am finding that ePub provides the best output for texts converted from ereader.

Rachel

Sorry - just realised you wanted to retain the DRM - therefore the above doesn't apply.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote