Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #16
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I do have a plan somewhat for the new year:

1) More reading - yay!
2) Explore the wonderful world on independent/non-print authors, something I find very exciting after just migrating from the world of traditional paperback
3) Also make some kind of dint on a the massive stock of unread paperback and ebooks I've accumulated (see number 1)
4) Try to feedback and review all the books that I do read - particularly for the non-print authors
5) Not a reading thing - self-publish at least one short story in 2011. Small target but I don't want to aim too high in this area.

I do have a planned "to read" list in 2011, because I like pretending I'm organised. However, I reckon in the end I'll not stick to it and read many books "just because".

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #17
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
A few weeks ago I finally got a Kindle and 2011 will be the year of the ebooks. I have already amassed quite a collection. I've always been an avid reader since the time I learned to read, and I'm very much looking forward to getting back to that. As for concrete goals:

Read 100 books OR 200,000 pages. I decided to make a list, not to plan but just to have a selection of candidates to make choosing easier as I go along, kind of a "most likely to read sooner" list. There are already 135 on that list, and currently 68 of them are 300+ pages, so I decided today that it may be better to track pages too. The minimum for the challenge is 150 pages.

Explore new authors. With the deals and freebies available, this will be so much easier than it was with pbooks.

Write reviews. I've always pretty much sucked at writing reviews for some reason, so I stopped trying. I'm going to work on that. Anyone want to volunteer to be my editor?

Mostly, just enjoy reading again.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
The last, tenth, book, The Crippled God in The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson will be published at the end of February.
It will herald the beginning of reading of the epic fantasy series.
Taking into the account:
1. there are 10 thick books 800+ pages
2. there are 4 (satellite) novellas
3. there are 3 more novels about the same world and characters written by Ian Cameron Esslemont
In addition I will add some stand alone books every 1-2 books, to have break from the same world. It will take all year to read and more.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #19
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
I am pretty picky on what I read. For books I prefer scifi based on potentially realistic or possible science (like Asimov books)... not these dragons and invisible gnomes and such, maybe that is why I got bored after 10 minutes into the Harry Potter and other similar movies and never watched them again.

I am hoping to read more Poul Anderson and similar writers. I have already read a majority of Asimov's scifi books, and a few of his science-related books.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #20
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
I don't try to have a reading plan - that takes the fun out of it for me. The closest I'll come to a plan is to not buy any more books unless it's something I've really coveted and the price is really good.

I have so many unread books now I think I could literally go for years - and Amazon has been having lots of free books every day. Of course, "freebies" don't count towards my not buying anything, so my list continues to grow. As I've had my Kindle for 1.5 years now, I've become much more discriminating in what I'll get, even if it's free.

Most of all, my plan is to continue to enjoy!!
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #21
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I'm going to try to read 50,000 pages. There's quite a few lengthy series I want to read this year so large page counts would be a plus.

I'm not going to be reading according to a set list or timeframe, but rather do it as the mood takes me.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
tommylander
tommylander doesn't littertommylander doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950
Read lots and lots and lots. I've got over a hundred books lined up for new Sony 950, and it's bizarre to think I probably have all the reading I'm going to do in 2011. It actually feels bittersweet, as I'll miss my cherished trips to the library and bookshops (well, I may still drop by, but I'll surely do it a whole lot less). Anyhow, as for which books to read, I usually go with a Serious Book/Classic then a McBook (those that are just for fun like pop culture books and rock star biographies) then another Serious Book then another McBook then... you get the idea.
tommylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #23
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I set a goal to read a book week and I made a list to get me started. I'm trying to read more in my genre. If you want to see the rest of my resolutions or my book list, check my blog:
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Happy reading in the new year.
L.J.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2012 at 06:59 AM.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #24
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Plan? Plan?? The main reason I didn't major in English is that I didn't want my reading constrained by the slightest hint of organization.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #25
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
With free classics, those will be mixed into my list. I seem to enjoy moving from one genre to another from book to book, so I may follow a classic with a sci-fi with a mystery for example.

One very good suggestion that I will certainly try to include is to read indie works and post reviews of those. I see an overwhelming number of tempting works from unknown authors and it really helps to have some direction in where to go with experimentation. The real question is where to post those reviews? I have used Goodreads for my pBooks and a few popular eBooks, but casual readers do not have access to being able to add new indie titles/authors directly to that site. Since it is my 'go-to' choice for popular works and monitoring the reviews of friends, I hope Goodreads can find a way to accommodate the increase in eBook literature. Since 'friend' filters can be used for book recommendations, the spammers are easily eliminated.

So, no reading plan here. I am occasionally tempted by a new release, but seldom enough to buy it at new-release prices, so most of my reading is from older, discounted lists from yesteryear. I just need more time ...
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote