Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
jncrft
jncrft began at the beginning.

Device: none
Library epub checkout possible?

A library near me allows check out of Adobe Digital Editions epub books. Although it's not listed, I think the pockepro is probably supported. The ebook readers they list as supported are:

Barnes & Noble nook™

Sony Reader Pocket Edition™

Sony Reader PRS-700 and PRS-505
with v1.1 (or newer) firmware

Sony Daily Edition

Sony Reader Touch Edition.

So, does that list indicate that the Pocketpro would also be able to check out books?

Jon
jncrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Yes, library books work just fine on the PEz. The only thing to watch is that the clock on the PEz resets when the device is turned off (long key press on the power button followed by the log off screen). Just locking the screen (short key press on the power button) doesn't affect the clock. If you have a book on your PEz when your computer and PEz have a dispute about the time and date, the book might stop working. On the other hand, I've heard that if you don't reset the clock or connect your PEz to your computer, the book thinks you have several years to read it. I haven't experimented with this myself.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Is it using Overdrive? If so, yes, it is possible! I just checked out my first library book yesterday. It was super easy. You have to have Adobe Digital Editions installed on your computer, and register that with Adobe. Once you do that, when you're ready to check out a library book, when it gives you the option to download, just have it open with ADE. Also, you need to register your Pocket Pro with ADE, before you can put it on your Pocket Pro. To do that, you just open ADE (once you've registered - it's free), then connect your Pocket Pro to your computer. It will detect the device, and just follow the instructions. Then when you're ready to load your library book, you just click and drag it to the Pocket Pro, within ADE. The Pocket Pro will be listed on the left, with the bookshelves. I think that's what ADE calls them... anyway, if you have any other questions, there are a lot of people here who can help you out!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Marlenas
Marlenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Purple PocketPro
Am downloading tons of epub and pdf library books in Canada

Hi there,

One of the main reasons I got my purple (really mauve) PocketPro was so I could download books from the library system here in Toronto. Ongoing knee problems have made it difficult for me to get to the library in person. And, even when I could, I seemed to be always late in returning books.

I have been downloading tons of epub and pdf books from the library via Adobe Digital Editions. And, I never have to worry about late fees cause they snatch the book back after 21 days. Our selection isn't the greatest here yet but seems to be continually improving.

I've also been downloading audiobooks from the library via Overdrive. They also disappear after 21 days from Overdrive and work on the honour system that you will delete same from your ereader then too. Sometimes I'm a bit forgetful, hopefully they'll forgive me.

Loving my PocketPro and the ability to sit comfortably at home and have so many great books come to me whether borrowed or purchased or downloaded for free.

Last edited by Marlenas; 03-30-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Marlenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Do we have a list of libraries that we can use? Especially ones that allow people from other geographical areas to borrow books.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

You can search to see if there is a library near you that uses Overdrive here.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Marlenas

You need a library card for each digital library you want to use

It's too bad that you can't apply for and receive library cards online because there are so many wonderful libraries around the world (thanks Davimee for the list) that have ebooks for free download borrowing.

It looks like most of them have way more books than we do here in Canada so far but hopefully we'll catch up soon.

I don't think there's anyway around actually walking into a library in whatever place to obtain a library card for that area.

Maybe someday (and soon) libraries will offer online cards only for strictly digital downloading - that way they really don't have anything to lose since they can control the books themselves. Of course, most local libraries probably don't want or have the staff to deal with hordes of people from around the world wanting to sign up with them.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this all plays out. It's going to take time for RW to catch up with online life.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlenas View Post
It's too bad that you can't apply for and receive library cards online because there are so many wonderful libraries around the world (thanks Davimee for the list) that have ebooks for free download borrowing.

It looks like most of them have way more books than we do here in Canada so far but hopefully we'll catch up soon.

I don't think there's anyway around actually walking into a library in whatever place to obtain a library card for that area.

Maybe someday (and soon) libraries will offer online cards only for strictly digital downloading - that way they really don't have anything to lose since they can control the books themselves. Of course, most local libraries probably don't want or have the staff to deal with hordes of people from around the world wanting to sign up with them.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this all plays out. It's going to take time for RW to catch up with online life.
Your Local Public library subscribes to the Service.

Check your library's On-line Catalog.

If I see an Audio-book or e-book listing in the catalog, it re-directs me with authentication that I am a registered patron of my library (I had to enter my Library card number before I was re-directed). Now if the book is available, I download.
If it is checked-out, I can add my name to a wait list.
Simple
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Marlenas

Ducks, you had me all excited for a few minutes

That I could use my Toronto library card to download books from any of the libraries using the Overdrive system.

But no, I can't. I can access their catalogues and drool over all the books we don't have here but that's all. Looks like you can only download books from your local library system for now.

Ah, well.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:

Well most public libraries are funded from local taxes - so it's not fair to provide a service to people outside the area/state/country where the taxes are collected.

I did find a near local library that has access to Overdrive. Time to join up.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
That I could use my Toronto library card to download books from any of the libraries using the Overdrive system.

But no, I can't. I can access their catalogues and drool over all the books we don't have here but that's all. Looks like you can only download books from your local library system for now.

Ah, well.
Have you tried contacting your library and asking if using Overdrive is something they will consider? Or if they use it, maybe they would be willing to get the license to more books, if enough people requested it. My local library just started offering the ebooks with Overdrive on March 15th. They've offered audio books for quite a while, so I was excited when they started doing ebooks, too. And before they offered ebooks, I contacted Overdrive and asked if there was an option to subscribe to the service, for a fee. They said no, but did say that sometimes some of the larger libraries will let a non-resident pay for a library card, so that is something to consider, as well. I don't know what the cost would be, but it might be something to look in to. It might be way too expensive, but it might be an option.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Ah, well.
You misunderstood me.

In your case, Log into the Toronto Public Library using your Toronto Library card. Access the books from their Catalog.

You can not access my Library, you did not pay taxes here in my town. I can not use Toronto's Library for the same reason. $$$ (and the $ CDN is closest to the US$ I have seen in a lon while)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
It's too bad that you can't apply for and receive library cards online because there are so many wonderful libraries around the world
It depends on the library, but, yes, you can apply for and even receive library cards online in many public library systems. Some even have online only cards for people who need database or e-book access only (these are often called researcher cards). Also, most systems will cheerfully make arrangements to accommodate people with temporary or permanent disabilities. Just call or e-mail and ask.

Public library funding in the States is a dog's breakfast, so most will charge non-resident fees (which I've seen in Canada, too). I think some of the California libraries have researchers cards which allow electronic access (databases and sometimes e-books, dependent on licensing issues). NYPL does, too. I know Enoch Pratt in Baltimore was considering it, but they don't have e-books. There are others.

Unlike everyone else here, I've had horrible luck with Overdrive. I administer library computer systems for a living, and I couldn't get it working (under Windows - I didn't even try on my Linux computers at home). Very embarrassing. So I'm still walking to the library on my lunch half hour to get dead tree books.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Do we have a list of libraries that we can use? Especially ones that allow people from other geographical areas to borrow books.
We have a list. Check the wiki. EBook Lending Libraries

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Ah, well.
It really comes down to who is paying for the books. In the US most libraries are funded by local county level taxes. The question for the library is why let people who didn't fund the library get the benefits. It some cases the libraries are funded by state level funds and then they are accessible to people throughout the state. Some libraries will allow non-residence by charging a fee. See the wiki for more details EBook Lending Libraries

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library, pocketpro