Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Buy or wait?

I am considering purchasing a Nook, after much debating between the Sony and Nook (I like the Sony better but the Nook seems to be a better bang for my buck). My main concerns right now are if I buy now, they may release something new very soon, I know eventually they all are outdated but I'd be pretty upset if I bought one now and a month (or less) later they put out the new Nook for the same price with better features. My second gripe is that I missed out on the Best Buy deal last week, though those type of deals are unpredictable. Are there any specials going on anywhere right now? I cannot seem to find any, I know it hasn't been long since they dropped the price as well.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
If you wait for the latest reader technology, bmatt, you'll never buy in. There's always something new on the horizon. And just as soon as that's about to arrive, there's something else, and then just ... well, you catch my drift? Best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Whether or not to buy the nook now or wait for nook 2 is a personal choice. I'm personally waiting for nook 2. The main reason being I don't trust that they actually fixed the cracked bezel problem. I've come across posts saying they recently bought a nook, and the bezel cracked. So, I'm waiting to see if they redesign the page forward buttons. If it looks the same I'll probably go with a Sony.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
bmatt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
If you wait for the latest reader technology, bmatt, you'll never buy in. There's always something new on the horizon. And just as soon as that's about to arrive, there's something else, and then just ... well, you catch my drift? Best. Neil
Yes, I know, I just don't want to buy one and be immediately obsolete within the next month or two. I haven't seen any significant leaks on the Nook 2 and B&N's current state probably implies they wont be doing a new iteration any time soon.

That and the $50 gift card with 3G I missed is a real bummer, I feel like another deal may crop up soon.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
bmatt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Whether or not to buy the nook now or wait for nook 2 is a personal choice. I'm personally waiting for nook 2. The main reason being I don't trust that they actually fixed the cracked bezel problem. I've come across posts saying they recently bought a nook, and the bezel cracked. So, I'm waiting to see if they redesign the page forward buttons. If it looks the same I'll probably go with a Sony.
Hmm, yea that is interesting. I only recently was aware of the cracking issue and general consensus was that it is fixed. That is another bummer. I really wish the Sony 650 had wireless...
Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
Hmm, yea that is interesting. I only recently was aware of the cracking issue and general consensus was that it is fixed. That is another bummer. I really wish the Sony 650 had wireless...
its tough to say how wide spread the cracked button issue really is. Normally on forums such as this the issue tends to affect a smaller amount of people but do to the venue and nature of internet forums issues seem to be larger than they really are. Who you don't hear from is the majority of nook owners that don't have a problem with it.

Were their a production batch that had cracked issues. Sure, did they all? I would say no. I would say the vast majority of the nook out their don't have this issue.

I had mine since June and not an issue. but also I do use the finger swipe method for page turning almost exclusivley though.

as to answer your question. I would say you are more likely to see a major firmware upgrade, similiar to V1.3 that came out in April, that one was there biggest one to date and the one that really convinced alot of critics and consumers that this ereader is now ready for Prime time. Most people love the hardware, so I don't think you'll see a Kindle 2 out this Christmas season.

I could be dead wrong I have no inside knowledge or anything but this is a popular device that seems to get better via firmware upgrades as opposed to hardware updates.

But I agree with the others, the whole "If I only waited" mentality will drive you crazy. I say buy when your ready. And if a new one with all sorts of added goodies comes along sooner rather than later, you can always sell the old on on Ebay and that could subsidize the cost of the new one.

I for one am in no rush to replace mine, no matter what comes out. Personally I think the new Sony's and new Kindle's really haven't brought anything truely remarkable to table. Sure the Pearl Screen is nicer but in reality it really isn't that much nicer wherer Kindle 2 owners are going to jump of bridges. They basically just improved on their existing devices, the Sony improved on the touch screen getting rid of the second layer. The Kindle cleaned up it's appearance and made it less ugly. To be honest I would suspect the Nook to be a similar situation. They might add on a new android software version, maybe make it ligther etc but again I would think it would be more improving an existing product just like the other 2/

To be honest if your are going to hold out and wait for the latest and greatest, It would be the color eink with touch display or at least a dual screen like the nooks.
Now that will be bringing something new to the table. and with color eink you'll able to have a true white and black contrast for your screen.

so IOW's I say buy it now and enjoy

Last edited by boswd; 09-16-2010 at 12:51 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It depends how much a few months with/without a reader is to you. From what I'm hearing, the general consensus is the nook 2 will be out between now and December. So, you could wait between less than a month to three months. Or, the general consensus could be wrong and the nook 2 won't come out this year (unlikely, but possible).

Usually, I would agree with neilmarr. However long you wait is that many more days/months without a reader. But, since it could be so soon that the new one comes out and also since the holidays are coming (which means deals are coming) you have two good reasons to wait. If I were buying one right now, I would wait. Also if I were you, I'd just set a limit though, like if it's not out by so-and-so (such as December) you're going to go ahead and buy one then anyway and not wait any longer.

Then, even if the nook 2 hasn't come out, you'll have holiday deals, hopefully on the nook and Sony. Especially watch out for Black Friday deals. It may take some work to get them, but they can be really good.

Of course, before then a good deal on the nook 1 or new Sony may come along and you may pounce. And if you're really itching to get one now, then just go for it. At the worst, you can always sell whatever you get now to get a better one later on.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
> Buy or wait?

I'm waiting for a new nook. BN should release it soon if they want to remain competitive.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
I'd be pretty upset if I bought one now and a month (or less) later they put out the new Nook for the same price with better features.
If you're worried about just one month, buy it at Best Buy. If something new comes out, you have 30 days to return your purchase.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Following the Kindle and Sony "release" scenarios, figure on at least an additional month after release before you actually have one in your hand.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Yes, I know, I just don't want to buy one and be immediately obsolete within the next month or two. I haven't seen any significant leaks on the Nook 2 and B&N's current state probably implies they wont be doing a new iteration any time soon.
I'm waiting for N2 before I buy. Both Amazon and Sony have refreshed their product line; and in time for the coming holiday season. If B&N doesn't refresh by November, the new Kindle will steal the holidays with its better specs and lower price.

Another factor at play here is Amazon's move into B&M stores. Besides Target, the Kindle is going to Best Buy and Staples. BB will then have all three of the major eReaders on display. Customers will be able to see side-by-side comparisons of 3rd generation Kindles and Sonys (with newer technology) right alongside last years Nook (with older technology). Is that what B&N wants for the holidays?

I'm waiting.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
The main reason being I don't trust that they actually fixed the cracked bezel problem. I've come across posts saying they recently bought a nook, and the bezel cracked.
I thought they had it fixed also; but lately, I have my doubts.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...BB will then have all three of the major eReaders on display. Customers will be able to see side-by-side comparisons of 3rd generation Kindles and Sonys... ...right alongside last years Nook...
Not sure that's a big deal considering the BB displays I have seen of Sony and nook amount to neglected kiosks with either empty pretend non-functioning units (Sony), or real non-functioning units due to dead batteries (nook).

But I agree, or at least strongly hope, a nook revision is forthcoming soon.

I don't personally need a new reader, since my Astak PPro works just fine, so a long wait for a nook revision won't bother me. But I do intend to purchase one as a bridge between my Astak and my wife's iPad -- She can buy BN books, but can't get library books. I can read library books, but not BN books.

Plus the larger 6" nook (without a cover) will be useful to read around the house while the 5" Astak (with included cover) will travel.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Emmaleigh
Enthusiast
Emmaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
I seriously doubt there will be a new hardware release between now and christmas, but a software release is highly probable.
Emmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Not sure that's a big deal considering the BB displays I have seen of Sony and nook amount to neglected kiosks with either empty pretend non-functioning units (Sony), or real non-functioning units due to dead batteries (nook).
Maybe it'll change for the coming holidays.