Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
Maybe the slipstreamed update to the 3G nook was for thinner parts.

I'm guessing it will be more a 1.5 than a 2.0
-Same form factor, maybe just a little bit thinner.
-Pearl screen.
-New shell color.
-More memory.
-Updated OS.

That or no update at all.
-Improved battery life
-Page turn buttons (eliminates cracked bezels)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
On the other hand, I can't see the Nook selling well at Christmas against the Kindle and Sony Readers both with EInk Pearl screens.
Exactly!

Picture a Best Buy customer asking which reader to get.

BB Employee: The Kindle has brand new technology with a better display, a 30-day battery, and is $10 cheaper. The Nook on the other hand, is last year's model with older technology, a 10-day battery, and costs $10 more.
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Exactly!

Picture a Best Buy customer asking which reader to get.

BB Employee: The Kindle has brand new technology with a better display, a 30-day battery, and is $10 cheaper. The Nook on the other hand, is last year's model with older technology, a 10-day battery, and costs $10 more.
ahh but you underestimate the lure of the of touchscreen Color lCD that allows you to navigate using icons and see the your book cover in color and scrolling using cover flow.
Especially being in a store like Best Buy where you have all of todays latest gadgets and tecchonology.

vs.

even the brand new Kindle that uses techonlogy from the 1980's for navigation and no color at all.

Now look at your surrondings while in Best Buy, everything is bascially touchcreen and color and modern.

Then the kindle is the one that looks like it using very old technology.
Trust me on this, Kindle uses extremely antiquated technology for navigating.

Even page turning on the Nook you can turn the page using the finger swiping method , on the Kindle your only choice to click the page turning button.

The Kindle may use the peral screen but when you can see it side by side against the Nook and notice it's not a huge contrast difference then add to the fact one navigagtes similar to your smart phone and the other one navigates similar to your old coleco hand held electronic game when yougrew up, then I don't think the decision is as easy as you might think.

Amazon runs a much better marketing campaign and actually runs cathcy and funny commericials but that doesn't make it the better ereader.

But this is all a moot point. Asking a Best Buy employee about e-readers would be like asking 5 year old about Quantum Physics.

They don't care.

But here's tip for any BN marketing employees reading this forum. "RUN SOME COMMERICALS" EGADS MAN.

Last edited by boswd; 09-18-2010 at 11:45 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
It will look more like the Kindle 3 than the Nook 1.
I sure hope not, the Kindle 3 is improved over Kindle's past but it still is very ugly .
Old 09-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Unhappy Say bye by to the Touchscreen...

My suspicion is that the touch screen will evaporate on Nook 2.

Think about it. The cost of manufacture has become the first concern. The Kindle has a keyboard, which must cost much less.

B&N has to face facts: the touch screen adds nothing to the reading part of the experience and actually is confusing to a lot of readers.

It also adds a large drain on the battery.

Finally it is bright and shiny and glares in a dim room, which always annoyed me.

I know that there will be partisans who absolutely *love* the touch screen.

They should start the mourning process now.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #21
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post

Think about it. The cost of manufacture has become the first concern. The Kindle has a keyboard, which must cost much less.

B&N has to face facts: the touch screen adds nothing to the reading part of the experience and actually is confusing to a lot of readers.

Finally it is bright and shiny and glares in a dim room, which always annoyed me.

I disagree, the color touchscreen has been one of the more attractions to the nook over .

How can you own a smartphone,(iPhone) but find the Nook confusing.
What part of the "Reading Now, Shopping, library, Wi Fi , Settings icons do you find to be such a head scratcher

Hmm when I want to shop I hit the Shop icon. When I went to pick out a book from Llibrary, I go to "My Library" if I want to pick up where I left off before I backed out of the book i hit "Reading Now'

I could never figure out what makes people all dumbfounded . The nook isn't exaclty rocket science here. If you can figure out a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry and even your own computer the Nook is childs play.

Your nook glares and in dim light? I don't understand . E ink doesn't glare.
and the bezel is white and just not that glossy unless you are overly senstive to it.

i really do think the LCD screen will be around until a touch screen color eink comes around.

The manual navigations are steps backwards in technology

The battery life as copared to what oter LCD products, smartphones, laptops etc seems like an eternity. I'm sorry if finding time to charge the nook after 5 days is unbearable then you other problems to worry about.
I have to charge my phone EVERY NIGHT. My laptop can't go over 2 hrs. Having to charge my Nook after 5days. Ahhh you know whatever, I guess people like to complain no matter what the issues are. so to each his own. To me plugging my Nook in while I get dinner ready and eat and watch some TV just isn't getting me to the point i want to leap of a building.

Last edited by boswd; 09-18-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know, but right now that's like a signature part of the nook. It's something that sets them apart, and for a lot of people it sets them apart in a good way. You can't please everybody so they know some people won't like it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I sure hope not, the Kindle 3 is improved over Kindle's past but it still is very ugly .
White Nook w/ LCD panel = really ugly
Black Nook w/ LCD panel = not bad (let's hope N2 brings a black body)

White Kindle w/ keyboard = really ugly
Black Kindle w/ keyboard = not bad

White Kobo w/ blue button = really ugly
Black Kobo w/ grey button = good looking

To each his own.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

I'm with you.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
and the bezel is white and just not that glossy unless you are overly senstive to it.
White bothers me. I prefer black bodies like Kindle and Kobo. So I hope black is an option for N2.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
>> Your nook glares and in dim light? I don't understand >>

I meant that the LCD screen glares. For my money the LCD is history but you may disagree. It seems badly implemented and a waste to me.

You may think it is great but we respectfully disagree.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #27
boswd
Banned

Quote:
White bothers me. I prefer black bodies like Kindle and Kobo. So I hope black is an option for N2.
I wouldn't doubt it if they use a matte bezel. If you look at where the page buttons are that is a white matte, and it actually blends in with the rest of the bezal, so it wouldn't shock me to see them go that route.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #28
boswd
Banned

Quote:
>> Your nook glares and in dim light? I don't understand >>

I meant that the LCD screen glares. For my money the LCD is history but you may disagree. It seems badly implemented and a waste to me.

You may think it is great but we respectfully disagree.
yeah I guess we do. but just as the key board is the Kindle signature look and approach, I think the touch screen LCD is the Nook. I do truely hope they hold on to it. I think more people purchase the nook because the the LCD screen

When my buddy at work who owns a Kindle, and I take lunch together. we have had a lot of co-workers come up to us when we are reading to have us tell them the difference between the two and how they compare. i would say easily 80% of the people are more impressed with the Nook because of the color lcd screen the icons, the way you navigate and see your book covers.

but i would also say the same 80% have all heard of the Kindle but mostly have not heard of the Nook. At some point Barnes and noble is going to have to branch out beyond just using instore guerilla marketing and relying on the internet.

The kindle is killing them in the marketing department
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
...I think the touch screen LCD is the Nook. I do truely hope they hold on to it. I think more people purchase the nook because the the LCD screen
Not me. The only reason I'm getting a Nook is library books. Otherwise, I'd get a Kindle.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #30
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Not me. The only reason I'm getting a Nook is library books. Otherwise, I'd get a Kindle.
Learn how to strip DRM. Then you can put anything you want on your Kindle.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote