Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #31
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Actually, I agree with that Marcy. They should only need to register and/or login if they're going to buy something. EZread does it only because the publishers force them to. If they don't have a high enough registered user number, then they're unlikely to get titles from certain publishers. Honestly, I think that's a retarded idea by the publishers, but at the same time I understand their reasoning, that being that if a site doesn't have a high enough user base, they're not worth spending time, money and energy on. It also shuts out the little mom and pop sites which a lot of people like, but aren't as easy to control as the big sites.

So in short it comes down to money and power.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #32
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbond1007 View Post
if you read their FAQ it says you cannot purchase whilst outside the US so yes they are geo-restricted..
Which is a real shame as I really enjoyed the "Oort Perimeter".

I never thought I would see an indie author's books being slapped with geo restrictions and this sort of practice is becoming more common.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #33
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sabredog, that's a problem created by the big houses. I honestly have zero issues with where people buy the books from. In fact, when I signed my agreement with EZread, I specifically said that I wanted them to be available world wide. So if they're not, then somethings not right, because mine should not be region locked at all.

So go try it again. If you still can't get it to work, ask RobertB to fix it. If they can't for whatever reason, let me know and I'll hook you up, or anyone else who needs the books but is region restricted. I'll make it good for you guys one way or another.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #34
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Steven and many thanks for the reply.

I am sure that you mentioned elsewhere your works were region unrestricted and do understand it is an issue with EZread.

To buy your books via EZread, I need to input a billing address for a credit card that is limited to US/CAN locales. There is no option to select other countries. If you leave fields blank you cannot continue the purchase process.

I am not certain if RobertB is reading these threads any more as it has been some time since he has replied within this thread.

Last edited by sabredog; 07-03-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #35
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Actually, I agree with that Marcy. They should only need to register and/or login if they're going to buy something. EZread does it only because the publishers force them to. If they don't have a high enough registered user number, then they're unlikely to get titles from certain publishers. Honestly, I think that's a retarded idea by the publishers, but at the same time I understand their reasoning, that being that if a site doesn't have a high enough user base, they're not worth spending time, money and energy on. It also shuts out the little mom and pop sites which a lot of people like, but aren't as easy to control as the big sites.

So in short it comes down to money and power.
The way to do this is to offer a coupon, a deal, a special, something to people for registering with the site. It's not to lock off content so it can't be browsed at all.

Your book and perhaps a selection of a few other indies in different genres would be a great option. Plaster them on the front page, so they can actually be found, along with a notice "get one of these books free just for registering with the site." Or even all the books free.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #36
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Marcy, great idea! Now we just need to make sure that RobertB sees it.

Sabredog, well, if that's the case, then yeah, that's something they'll have to fix at some point. In the meantime I can email you the books you want. To pay for them, just go to my site and use my tip jar. Just don't forget to leave a note specifying which books you want and your email address so I can email them to you. Same goes with anyone else who wants my ebooks but can't get them off ezread due to regional restrictions currently in place.

In time that'll get that fixed, plus I'll have my books available from other retailers as well in the near future in case of similar problems, so these issues are only temporary. For now however, I only have them available on ezread or through direct sale on my site (with email deliver). Most of that is because I'm just waiting on my publisher to cut through the BS bureaucracy that most of the ebook distributors put you through in order to list your books on their sites. (PS, EZread actually has had the most painless signup system to date for authors wanting to get their books onto the site) Once that's waded through, I'll have lots of purchasing options for everyone.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 07-04-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #37
sabredog

Thanks Steve. I will certainly do that!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #38
sabredog

Steve

incoming email