Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
45MPHK9
45MPHK9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Possible to check out library books w/o Sony Reader Software Installed?

I've been having problems with the Sony Reader software since day one, as many here have experienced. First it would hang on syncing, then I coudn't see the books in my library - I could click on "books" but it would just hang there and do nothing. Then I got the protected page (I think that's what it said) error on the reader itself. Finally, my Reader software won't run at all...well, the task manager shows it's running, but it never really opens on my desktop. I've been going through the forums for the last few days and I think I've tried all the hints posted here. Last night I gave up and uninstalled the software for the umpteenth time, but have yet to reinstall it.

My question now is this: Is there any way to check out library books without having the Sony Reader software installed on my PC? I bought the PRS-600 specifically so that I could check out library books and I need a way to make this work.

I have Adobe Digital Editions installed as well as Calibre.

Thanks in advance!
Jill
45MPHK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Adobe Digital Editions will work for downloading library ebooks. When downloading a library ebook it will give you an option to "open book" and should ask you for the default program, just choose Adobe Digital Editions. You may have to tell the Sony Library to not be the default software for library ebooks.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
A note to add to grooks advice above:
The Sony software installs a driver that is used by ADE to talk to the Sony Reader devices. You will need that driver to have ADE transfer books to your PC, so don't uninstall the Sony Reader Library if you find ADE is working well for you.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
45MPHK9

Thanks, another question

What is the "proper" way to download a book from your public library? I have added it to my cart etc and when I click the download button a window comes up asking me if I want to open or save the file. The file name that it's asking me to either open or save is URLLink.acsm.

If I recall correctly, the first few times I selected "open" but that wasn't working for my anymore when my Sony Reader software started giving me trouble.

Thanks again!!!
Jill
Old 03-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
45MPHK9

Oops, nevermind

I think I've got it. I selected open and it worked this time. The only difference is that this time I had the ADE software open when I downloaded/opened the library book. At least, I think that's why it worked this time.....
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
yep, you figured it out-- open is what you use, and it used to open the ADE as default on my computer. Now it opens reader library by default. When it used to be ADE only that library books opened to, I usually then opened the connect software so I could put it into the correct folder on my reader. It really bugged me to not have it in my "library books" folder. Iʻm keeping my fingers crossed that my reader library continues to function.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote