Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #76
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Released 0.7.N, with initial support for the PW2.

As was mentioned previously, this is currently slightly less powerful on the PW2 than on older devices, but it does the job .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #77
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Released 0.7.N, with initial support for the PW2.
Update and "Your kindle needs repairing"

Factory reset and installing again
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #78
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@levante: Keyword here being "update". Your setup was probably broken before, you just hadn't restarted your device yet .

(The hack literally does nothing if there's no fonts or custom configs, so there's very few chance for it to cause a YKNR by itself).
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #79
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
New version works great on my PW2. With the custom font override and a couple fontconfig scaling tweaks, my font looks perfect. Much better for reading--thanks again!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #80
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@7hir7een: Did you manage to get the scale prop to do something useful or did you tweak the matrix like in the examples?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-07-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #81
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
@7hir7een: Did you manage to get the scale prop to do something useful or do you tweak the matrix like in the examples?
Nope, the only thing I could get to work were matrix values.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #82
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
@NiLuJe: what do you get for scaling the font via fontconfig (other than making it bigger, of course

Edit: oh, I guess it's an easy way to get condensed or slant font. But you seem to imply scaling fonts up slightly makes them look better?

Last edited by Barty; 12-07-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #83
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
NiLuJe,

Is the Freetype Override (BCI or otherwise) compatible with the PW2? I tried applying BCI after running your latest (0.7) font hack, with a proper restart of the X server. I didn't see any difference in the look afterwards (maybe just bad eyes on my part, or maybe my custom fonts are already pretty good), but more oddly, I found that whenever I connected my Kindle by cable to my computer (Windows 7, 64 bit) and opened an explorer window, the Kindle would spontaneously reboot after about 30 seconds of connection. I went back into KUAL, restored the Amazon default, restarted the X server, and this behavior doesn't happen anymore.

Really just an FYI. I don't need the Freetype Override and was just curious to try it.

By the way, your edited instructions in the OP are much clearer now, I think!

Good luck on your exams -- and thanks, as always, for your stewardship of these hacks!
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #84
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Barty: I was mostly referring to CFF fonts in that comment, which are usually designed for print, not screen, and thus might need a bit of upscaling if you want to use a mix of TTF & CFF fonts without having to switch font sizes every time.

@rogerinnyc: Depending on the font, this can be subtle. BCI is the closest to Amazon's default, so I'm not surprised it hasn't jumped at you . It should be more obvious on CFF fonts, for example.

As for the reboot issue, that is very odd indeed. I can't think of how it could affect this, but we've seen very weird things happen before, so why not... ;p. What I can say is that I've never experienced it, and I've been using a custom FreeType on my multiple Kindle devices for a while now, but I'll see what I can dig up .
If you're willing to, I'd like to take a look at some logs (;dm in the search bar) right after a crash/reboot, see if something obvious pops up.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-07-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #85
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I also got a spontaneous reboot while plugged in and in USBMS mode. It actually ended up in YKNR screen but a power button reset cured it. But it might not have been related to the font hack.

Incidentally, I used your script to override Futura because the thin font used throughout the UI is hard for me to read. Works without apparent problems so far. and yes, the Default button did restore it. Then I overrode Palatino so now I have an extra custom font to use when the mood strikes

The PW2 is finally useable! THANKS SO MUCH!!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #86
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
How can I override Palatino?, which family I must override with kual?, Serif?, Sans?, Mono?...

Thanks in advanced ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #87
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
Gaming with YKNR...
In my kindle:
Serif -->Caecilia, now ubuntu.
Sans -->Helvetica. Restored to default.
Mono --> ??

I don't see how to change futura or palatino.
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #88
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ersott: You can't through the UI. You're welcome look at the basic fc-override.tpl shard for inspiration though .
Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #89
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, I managed to reproduce the USBMS reboots. Will investigate...

In the mean time, good news: it's not a crash, it's a soft reboot, so it should be relatively gentle on the device & filesystem.

EDIT: ... And, of course, now I can't reproduce it again. >_<". I did manage to break everything in a most spectacular way when trying a workaround, so there's that ;p.
At least now I can say that you can boot a PW2 in usbnet mode with the cable plugged in! \o/.

TL;DR: mesquite sometimes fails to stop cleanly when switching to USBMS, and the logic of the mesquite upstart job doesn't seem to know how to deal with this, on one hand it considers this 'normal' if mesquite ran for > 10s, but even in that case, it doesn't ask upstart to stop trying to respawn it. So it does tries to respawn it, which utterly fails without the userstore, and once it hits the 5 restarts limit, it triggers a reboot.

There's only a vague interaction with the Fonts hack potentially involved, so I can't really say who's at fault here, other than finding the job logic a bit convoluted and not terribly solid.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-08-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #90
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
@ersott: You can't through the UI. You're welcome look at the basic fc-override.tpl shard for inspiration though .
Thanks niluje, but i'm afraid that I don't know what are you talking about...

ersott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch