Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #331
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I somehow think that Amazon may flag or even close your account if you did that, because it may seem like suspicious behavior.
That's what I was thinking too. Amazon won't like that.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #332
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslock View Post
The quality variations between units are a bit of a let down, but I really like the Kindle Paperwhite (better DPI and UI than previous models).
Actually, the Kindle Touch now has the same UI since the 5.3.2 firmware update.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #333
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If I were you, and had the money, I'd just order 10 Kindles at once.

Pick the best, send the rest back.
20 might be a safer option.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #334
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
So only 5% of Kindle PW's have good screens?

Wow. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket now. Maybe even two, from different lotteries.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #335
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So only 5% of Kindle PW's have good screens?

Wow. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket now. Maybe even two, from different lotteries.
Naw I was just kidding. At least I think I was kidding.
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #336
wyvern
Small friendly dragon
wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I see a few people have mentioned a PW2 later this year - I would really like to get a PW but am being put off by the quality control issues. Does anyone have any idea when they might be bringing out a PW2 that would hopefully have ironed out the bugs?
wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #337
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
I see a few people have mentioned a PW2 later this year - I would really like to get a PW but am being put off by the quality control issues. Does anyone have any idea when they might be bringing out a PW2 that would hopefully have ironed out the bugs?
I would assume a new Paperwhite will be coming out in the fall (the original was released in October) or maybe at the end of the year. Only time will tell whether the screen issues will be fixed in the next generation, but hopefully so.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #338
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'd say: keep on dreaming. People have been bickering over the quality of the screen of the Kindle 3, 4, Touch, and now the PW. Why would it be anything different with the PW2?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #339
wyvern
Small friendly dragon
wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks. I just wondered if I'd missed something. The only stuff coming up in Google refers to the launch of the PW in Canada. I wonder if they'll leave it longer for a new one as it has only just gone into that market?
wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #340
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
I'd say: keep on dreaming. People have been bickering over the quality of the screen of the Kindle 3, 4, Touch, and now the PW. Why would it be anything different with the PW2?
I guess I'm an optimist. I have never had any problems with a kindle before the PW. They've all been perfect!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #341
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I guess I'm an optimist. I have never had any problems with a kindle before the PW. They've all been perfect!
Same here, have bought many kindles w/o problems until the PW which took me 4 tries until I received an acceptable one.... not perfect..... acceptable.

Dennis
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #342
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The overwhelming majority of PW owners are happy with it. It's only the small minority who aren't who are complaining. I wouldn't worry about buying a PW if I were you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #343
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The overwhelming majority of PW owners are happy with it. It's only the small minority who aren't who are complaining. I wouldn't worry about buying a PW if I were you.
Unless you work for Amazon and specific to the Paperwhites you haven"t a hint of the percentage of Paperwhite consumers who report defects or are "complaining" in your words. I know where you stand on this issue as you have made it perfectly clear in several of your past postings. The fact is this: numerous Paperwhites are defective...... period. That being said I would not hesitate to purchase one now as it seems that less are reporting problems now then when first introduced to market.

Last edited by tmf2; 02-09-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #344
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
A very rough guide can be taken from the the percentage of good/bad reviews on Amazon.com, can't it? And from what I see, they don't really suggest that HarryT is that wrong to suggest most people are happy (how many of them are happy with less than perfect screens is far from certain though!):

Kindle 3: 8% - 1&2 stars, 87% 4&5 star.
Kindle 4: 10% - 1&2 stars, 83% 4&5 star.
Touch: 17% - 1&2 stars, 72% 4&5 star.
Kindle PW: 12% - 1&2 stars, 77% 4&5 star.

The PW is clearly not as good as Amazon made it out to be, and there is definite room for improvement, but sometimes you can focus too much on the people complaining and forget that so many people aren't complaining.

I think the wide variation in the screens, as show in the photos's deslock posted here, are definitely a concern though.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #345
tmf2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
A very rough guide can be taken from the the percentage of good/bad reviews on Amazon.com, can't it? And from what I see, they don't really suggest that HarryT is that wrong to suggest most people are happy (how many of them are happy with less than perfect screens is far from certain though!):

Kindle 3: 8% - 1&2 stars, 87% 4&5 star.
Kindle 4: 10% - 1&2 stars, 83% 4&5 star.
Touch: 17% - 1&2 stars, 72% 4&5 star.
Kindle PW: 12% - 1&2 stars, 77% 4&5 star.

The PW is clearly not as good as Amazon made it out to be, and there is definite room for improvement, but sometimes you can focus too much on the people complaining and forget that so many people aren't complaining.

I think the wide variation in the screens, as show in the photos's deslock posted here, are definitely a concern though.

Point taken, but I bet a great majority of consumers do not even bother to
to play the rating game and then there is the subject of the actual validity of the rating in itself. The rating system may give a overall view but then again it very well may not.