Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Better formating of downloaded epubs loaded via ADE

Here is the same book loaded onto both my kobo's via ADE downloaded from Kobo books; both have the same font size and start on the same page. Notice that the smaller borders around the text on the touch. Much better handling.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
On a somewhat related note, I still don't get why the Kobos (i.e. my original and the touch) sometimes will and sometimes will not display the Charis font for sideloaded epubs that have it embedded. Kind of frustrating.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it's unfortunately the way the kobo renderer interprets the CSS file. I'm sure it could be fixed, but since it's something that has been brought up many times in the past, I doubt it will be anytime soon. Personally, I don't have a real issue with this, but I do know many people do like to read books with the fonts that the author intended.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

You'd think it would be all or nothing though, but 50% of the time it's there on my Kobo screen, and is nicer to look at than the default Kobo serif font, methinks.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist

at the moment, it really depends on the publisher and how they implemented the fonts within the CSS file. The problem is that, if I remember right (it's been a couple of months since I played with this), was that if the publisher specified the font in the root body, then this was over ridden by the kobo because that's where it specifies its fonts as well. However, if the publisher specifies fonts for specific, how would I say...part of the body I guess, then you would see the fonts... Do a search on boards and you'll see loads of threads on this
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Canorka
Connoisseur

That would make sense, I have noticed I've been having the most success with certain publishers. Damn, I wish I was tech savvy enough to sort this stuff out myself. Thanks for the info.