Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Cool Ibis Reader & Baen Free Library trick

Haha! I can't believe this worked.

If you use Ibis Reader, you will have seen the "Get Books" link. This allows you to view OPDS catalogs (lists of web-accessible ebooks). The Feedbooks catalogs are pre-installed, and some of you may have set up a Calibre/Dropbox OPDS catalog of your own library.

On a whim, I used the "Add Your Own Catalog" link to add the WebScription Stanza link,
Code:
http://www.webscription.net/stanza.aspx
It worked! I can access the Baen Free Library directly from Ibis Reader! In "Get Books" I click "Baen" (or whatever you named the OPDS link), then "Baen Free Library", then the "Read" button next to the book I want to add to my Ibis Reader library. Yay!

I don't think it's possible to log in to the Webscriptions "My Books" area and download any Webscriptions books you may have bought, but I think just accessing the Free Library catalog is a pretty neat trick.

Edit: When I use the URL
Code:
http://www.webscription.net/stanza.aspx?feed=free
I can bypass the general Webscriptions splash page with the defunct "My Books" link and go straight to the Free Library. This is a bit hack-y in nature, though, so don't blame me if your computer goes boom

Last edited by Hatgirl; 01-04-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
liza
Ibis Reader / Threepress
liza doesn't litterliza doesn't litterliza doesn't litter

Device: Pretty much all of them
Thanks for posting the tip! If Baen updates their catalog to OPDS 1.0 instead of the old Stanza form, you'll also be able to see cover images.
liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Is the "Add Your Own Catalog" link removed? I don't see it on the list after I have clicked "Get Books". There is only "Add book (download from URL)".
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang View Post
Is the "Add Your Own Catalog" link removed? I don't see it on the list after I have clicked "Get Books". There is only "Add book (download from URL)".
I still see it at the bottom of my Get Books page.

I'm looking at it using it on a PC running Firefox, if that's any use to you.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
liza
Ibis Reader / Threepress
liza doesn't litterliza doesn't litterliza doesn't litter

Device: Pretty much all of them
You can only add new catalogs while using a normal web browser (not a mobile device).

Once you add a catalog, you'll then see it available on the mobile version as well (this is a new feature).
liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert