Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I *so* did not need this temptation...Fictionwise 50% Micropay Rebate on all eBooks

From the site:

NO FOOLING: 50% Micropay Rebate on all eBooks through Wednesday!
Oh what fools these mortals be! Our accountant thought it was an April Fool's Day joke, but no, it's true: every eBook at Fictionwise now sports a 50% Micropay Rebate when paying by credit or PayPal transaction. But don't tarry: savings this impressive cannot last long; you have only through Wednesday, April 1. After that, our accountant's meds wear off and he will force us to shut down this sale. Don’t forget that you get a bonus 5% rebate when you buy Secure eReader eBooks!

Fine print: Micropay Rebates are store credits, not refundable in cash. This offer only applies to eBooks, not eMagazine subscriptions, club memberships, or other non-eBook items. For complete details see the Micropay Rebate FAQ.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It would help me purchase eBooks if I would stop getting...

Service Unavailable
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
ronejay
ronejay began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Just my luck. Almost running out of books to read I bought some from FW yesterday thinking 30% Micropay is pretty awesome. Has FW offered higher than 50% Micropay? Just wondering should I wait for a better deal.
ronejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronejay View Post
Has FW offered higher than 50% Micropay? Just wondering should I wait for a better deal.
There was a 60% sale around Christmas time IIRC
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronejay View Post
Just my luck. Almost running out of books to read I bought some from FW yesterday thinking 30% Micropay is pretty awesome. Has FW offered higher than 50% Micropay? Just wondering should I wait for a better deal.
I'm getting rather peeved with FW, it seems like every time I buy stuff, they turn around and up the Micropay rebate. I don't think they'll top this one soon, though.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Happy happy joy joy!

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I'm getting rather peeved with FW, it seems like every time I buy stuff, they turn around and up the Micropay rebate. I don't think they'll top this one soon, though.

Yeah.

There is certainly not a bad problem to have, though!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 AM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I just don't see how they're making any money, though...

I just bought $203.00 worth of books...and, after the 50%, plus the 5% for buying the first day and 5% for buying eReader (and I think two of the books were 100% rebates), I got a rebate of $163.00.

Who takes that hit? Is it Fictionwise? Do the authors/publishers "lose" a part of the cut? I have to think it's like Amazon's $9.99 "loss-leaders" - and Amazon is taking the loss, but it feels like I've been getting deals like this from Fictionwise for about the last 6 months.

I just hope it's not at the authors' expense. I want them to keep writing!

Last edited by FizzyWater; 03-31-2009 at 02:10 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Fictionwise pay 50% of the list price to the publishers. So you'd think they're losing money on a 50% rebate with 15% club discount and 5% eReader rebate. But not so.

Why? because when you spend the micropay you don't get the discount.

Suppose you want to buy three books, each costing $10.
(e.g.
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook25136.htm
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook65249.htm
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook8075.htm)

Now, you're a member of the buywise club (15% discount) and they're on 50% rebate, and you're buying secure eReader format (5%)

You buy two with a credit card. That costs $17, and you get back $9.36 in micropay. (9.36 = 4.25+4.25+0.43+0.43: 50% - 4.25 on each book and 5% - 0.425 rounded to 0.43 on each book)

Then you buy the third with your micropay rebate - that costs $8.50 in micropay.

So - you end up with three books for $17, with $0.86 in micropay left
Fictionwise pays out $15 to the publishers
Fictionwise end up with get $2 - eventually $1.14 when you finally spend that micropay. Oh - and a very happy (repeat) customer.

I suspect that on the 100% micropay rebate they might have a deal with the publishers.

Essentially, 50% rebate is "3 for 2" and 100% rebate is "2 for 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I just don't see how they're making any money, though...

I just bought $203.00 worth of books...and, after the 50%, plus the 5% for buying the first day and 5% for buying eReader (and I think two of the books were 100% rebates), I got a rebate of $163.00.

Who takes that hit? Is it Fictionwise? Do the authors/publishers "lose" a part of the cut? I have to think it's like Amazon's $9.99 "loss-leaders" - and Amazon is taking the loss, but it feels like I've been getting deals like this from Fictionwise for about the last 6 months.

I just hope it's not at the authors' expense. I want them to keep writing!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
So am I. I just purchased over $50 worth of books on Saturday.
Missed out again. Blast.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
And to finish me off the next in the Lost Fleet series available as a preorder. Oh well.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
It would help me purchasing if they accepted micropay. Only real money they want. They do...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I just saw this promotion and I was furious as it has completely replaced the SF promotion that was supposed to last through the 31st. That discount DID apply when purchasing with micropay and applied to magazine subscriptions. I'm going to spend a lot less with Fictionwise because this promotion doesn't apply to what I was going to spend my money on while the one they removed early and unannounced did.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Does this apply to eBookwise which (I think) is part of Fictionwise? or are they separate?
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." Actually, I keep such a big wish list on FW, I'm always ready for a good sale. However, I have to figure out my strategy...do I pay with my CC for the more expensive books on my WL, or buy more of the inexpensive ones. What's the best strategy for building up Micropay $$$, which to me is kind of like a rainy day fund.
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote