Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #31
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Device: Sony Xperia Arc; Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashan View Post
This is more like an enhanced user guide than a review...not saying it's bad or good though, good luck.
Yeah, I probably could have written a lot less on that User Interface section and I appreciate it does cover a lot, but that's why I hid a lot of it and left the summaries in place.

Anyway, I'm aiming to be more brief for the remaining sections.
9littlebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #32
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pretty exhaustive review. Well done
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #33
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
9littlebees, You have done a tremendous job of providing information on the KGlo and should be applauded for your work. I was wondering if When you complete your review if you would be able to provide a link to download the review as a non editable pdf so that we can read it at a more convienent pace? If its not too much trouble to do so that is.

regardless thank you for your efforts and so far its a very promissing review.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #34
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Pretty exhaustive review. Well done
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
9littlebees, You have done a tremendous job of providing information on the KGlo and should be applauded for your work. I was wondering if When you complete your review if you would be able to provide a link to download the review as a non editable pdf so that we can read it at a more convienent pace? If its not too much trouble to do so that is.

regardless thank you for your efforts and so far its a very promissing review.

regards

Jack
Thanks guys. Jack, a PDF would not be a problem, though I will need to spend a bit of time with the styling so that it actually looks half decent. I'll plan this in at the very end, and provide a link to it at the top of the first post.

Oh, and thank you kindly for the Karma, Jack!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #35
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Might I suggest that if you intend to make a downloadable version, that rather than PDF you go for an ePub?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #36
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Might I suggest that if you intend to make a downloadable version, that rather than PDF you go for an ePub?
ePub, eh? Why not? Though I'll do it in addition to a PDF. I've been wanting to create an ePub for a while, and this would be a good opportunity.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #37
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Quick note to say I've left an update on the first post explaining my delay in finishing this review.

TL;DR - I'm finishing my final project for a C Programming course tomorrow night and because of Christmas won't be able to return to this review until the new year.

Apologies to all those who were expecting a finished review in October.

Happy Christmas,
Matt
Old 12-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #38
Shardancalibre
Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: kobo glo
Hello everybody. I've just unwrapped my kobo glo. I had a kindle 3 but it died for screen breaking. First thing I've noticed: you can't add bookmarks. Am I right or is it just that I still haven't managed to find them?
second thing: search function inside the book. Let's say I want to go to a certain page, but I don't know the location, I just know a word, or a phrase. I use the search function, find the word I'm looking for, but when i try to go there it doesn't go exactly there. why's that?
3: how can I fetch my annotations and my higlights? I mean when I plug the device to my computer? is there a file? How can I read it?
4: my kindle battery lasted a month (give or take) and I read more than 2 hours a day (more or less). How long does the kobo battery last?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion
Shardancalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardancalibre View Post
Hello everybody. I've just unwrapped my kobo glo. I had a kindle 3 but it died for screen breaking. First thing I've noticed: you can't add bookmarks. Am I right or is it just that I still haven't managed to find them?
second thing: search function inside the book. Let's say I want to go to a certain page, but I don't know the location, I just know a word, or a phrase. I use the search function, find the word I'm looking for, but when i try to go there it doesn't go exactly there. why's that?
3: how can I fetch my annotations and my higlights? I mean when I plug the device to my computer? is there a file? How can I read it?
4: my kindle battery lasted a month (give or take) and I read more than 2 hours a day (more or less). How long does the kobo battery last?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion
1 - to bookmark you just tap in the top right corner of the page and it will "dog ear" it (looks like you bent over the corner of the page). To get back to it tap the middle bottom and you can find them under annotations.

2 - as long as you are using show on page it should get you to the proper page, but there is currently a bug in some epubs that mean it isn't going to the proper page when reopening a book. Wonder if this is related.

3 - no direct easy way to do this, but if do a search you'll find some work arounds.

4 - battery life might be slightly shorter, but should get you a good long time.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #40
Shardancalibre
Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.Shardancalibre shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
1 - to bookmark you just tap in the top right corner of the page and it will "dog ear" it (looks like you bent over the corner of the page). To get back to it tap the middle bottom and you can find them under annotations.

2 - as long as you are using show on page it should get you to the proper page, but there is currently a bug in some epubs that mean it isn't going to the proper page when reopening a book. Wonder if this is related.

3 - no direct easy way to do this, but if do a search you'll find some work arounds.

4 - battery life might be slightly shorter, but should get you a good long time.
Thanks a lot robko. You've been enlightening. I hope I'll be able to make up for the annotations problem through calibre's function "fetch the annotations"
Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks a lot robko. You've been enlightening. I hope I'll be able to make up for the annotations problem through calibre's function "fetch the annotations"
Calibre's fetch annotations function adds the annotations to the comments field in calibre. You are probably better getting the annotations file from the device. Search for my posts with "annot" and "xml" in them for details.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #42
Shardancalibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Calibre's fetch annotations function adds the annotations to the comments field in calibre. You are probably better getting the annotations file from the device. Search for my posts with "annot" and "xml" in them for details.
Thanks David, I tried last time, but I couldn't find that file. I'll try again and see what's the best solution.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks David, I tried last time, but I couldn't find that file. I'll try again and see what's the best solution.
It should be in the "Digital Editions\Annotations" directory on the device. Inside that, it is the same as where the epub is on the drive.

I did assume an epub. If you are reading a kepub, the annotations are in the database.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #44
Shardancalibre

Hello.
One more question: How come I set the option "standby - never" and it keeps going at that mode when I slide the power off?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The option is "Automatically go to sleep after". Setting that to "Never" means that it won't go into sleep mode automatically. It doesn't affect what the switch does. Pushing the switch over puts the device to sleep. Hold the switch for a few seconds to turn it off.

Or have I missed what you are asking?

Tags
epub, ereader, glo, kobo, review