Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Shane629
Shane629 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Economist for PowerPC Macs

In synopsis, I want to download The Economist using Calibre 0.7.28 and Python 2.7.3, and I would be grateful to any kind-hearted person who takes the time to direct me to a solution. Further details follow.

I very much wish to download The Economist, to which I have a subscription, using Calibre. Unfortunately, as my Mac has a PowerPC chip, the latest version of Calibre that I can use is 0.7.28. However, I do have Python 2.7.3, and I have been able to successfully download any other news source I have tried, so it seems very likely that there is a way to do the same for The Economist.

I have been using the Economist recipe from http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...onomist.recipe , which seems to be the latest version, and the error message I receive is "ERROR: Invalid input: Could not create recipe. Error: cannot import name OrderedDict", which is similar to the error I receive when using the built-in recipes.

From https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/761226 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125729 it seems that using OrderedDict with collections might be something introduced in a later version of Calibre than the one I have, but OrderedDict seems to be something in Python 2.7, which I have, so perhaps Calibre is not using that version of Python on my computer, or perhaps I need a "collections" file.

If you can suggest an amendment to the recipe mentions above, perhaps that patches over the use of OrderedDict, if you have can tell me how to ensure that I am using Python 2.7, if you can tell me how to get a collections file, if you have a complete recipe I can use, or if you have any other advice, I'd deeply appreciate it were you to post a message.

Thanks in advance.
Shane629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Shane629
Shane629 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Economist for PowerPC Macs

It would be very helpful to me if you were to leave a message with your thoughts on this topic, even if it was just a sentence saying that it can't be done or that it should be easy to write a recipe or something similar.

Thanks in advance.
Shane629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's certainly possible to create a recipe that will work in calibre 0.7.28, provided you know how to program in python. You're unlikely to get anyone to do it for you however.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.7.28, collections, economist, ordereddict, powerpc