Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
First Thing You'll Do With Your KindleDX

For those that are getting a DX next week - what do you have planned first?

Tossing a PDF on it? Comic book? Buying a "formatted for Kindle DX" book?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Put to charge. :-P

After that, save one DRM'ed AZW, one MOBI and my two current reading A4 books. And then power on my DR1000 and do side by side comparisions.

Another try will be to enable usb network...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally, Gideon, I find that pretty much any book looks better on a larger screen - it is much closer to the experience of reading a paper book than any 6" device can provide.

Where you really gain, of course, is with page layouts that cannot be well represented on a small screen - eg poetry or plays, where with a 6" screen you inevitably get spurious line wraps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Anxious to try it out on PDFs. Have many PDFs (manuals, tech papers, books, comics) that I'd like to be able to use on a Kindle. Of course, having the ability to keep PDFs on a Kindle will intensify the need for some sort of folder management...

Oh, and there are some books like David Halberstam's The Coldest War that have many maps which don't display in a useable form on a K2 screen; I hope the added screen size and resolution of the DX will change all that.

Last edited by GJN; 06-07-2009 at 08:32 AM.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I already have "pre-loaded" it with all of the poetry, plays, books with maps, etc. that I have read (or tried to read) on K2. Plus I splurged on an "Optimized for DX" book ("Endurance" - with lotsa photos) to take on a test drive!

WooHooo! It's being shipped to me at work - can't guarantee much official stuff will get done that afternoon.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
Oh, and there are some books like David Halberstam's The Coldest War that have many maps which don't display in a useable form on a K2 screen; I hope the added screen size and resolution of the DX will change all that.
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, that will of course only be true if the book actually contains maps at larger sizes than the K2 can display .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, that will of course only be true if the book actually contains maps at larger sizes than the K2 can display .
What about LOTR and The Hobbit? Think their maps will actually be readable on the DX? Not to mention the runes.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I think I'll copy my existing books onto it.

Then try some PDFs.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
What about LOTR and The Hobbit? Think their maps will actually be readable on the DX?
I hope someone with a KDX will post screenshots, but here is a mockup of what one of the Hobbit maps will look like in full screen image mode on the KDX. The original image in the AZW/MOBI ebook is 586x481, so I magnified from 481 to 825 and rotated to landscape (note that the image is only 1052 pixels wide, so there would be margins on the left and right on the KDX). This is assuming that the KDX's full screen image mode works like that on the K2.

However, if you really want high res images then buy the PDF version and strip its DRM. See A Comparison of format limitations based on The Hobbit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KDXlike_hobbit_3.gif
Views:	422
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	30424  

Last edited by wallcraft; 06-07-2009 at 11:06 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I'm going to download the PDF version of a magazine I subscribe to. If I like it, the PDF only subscription rate is much cheaper than the dtv.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
load a "normal" PDF, to see if it takes the margins off,
AND a 60+ MB PDF (scanned)
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Load up some books presently on my PRS505 and compare. I suspect that the screen on the PRS505 will have slightly better contrast but that the larger screen will more than make up for it.

And then, poetry and plays! Now if there was only someplace I could get A Geography of Poets and the Complete Works of Robert Creeley in digital format.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
I'll do my initial messing around with it like I do with any new device I get (it will be the first e-reader I've ever owned). Therefore, I'll probably sync it with calibre and just start reading. I do have several textbooks, magazines, and technical books in PDF form that I'll try out, too.

I've wanted a Kindle since February, so I'll be one happy and excited boy.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
Try out journal articles (single-column), conference articles (two columns), magazines (graphically intensive) and HTML pages printed to PDF on my Mac. Then try out some Kindle books I bought in anticipation of the DX

Can't wait. Did I mention that I ordered the DX as a b'day gift and it's arriving on the exact day of my birthday. Thank you for a great and timely present, Amazon!
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Bah, now I have an appointment with the cardiologist on the 11th. I guess I'll get my Kindle DX when I get home!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote