Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Question VGA Planets -- anyone know of a one-player version?

We played the game for a couple of years in the dorm when I was in school (way back in the early '90s). I was wishing for a single-player version of the game. Basically the same game (or something similar) but with the computer handling the other players. Then I thought there might be a good chance of someone here at the forum knowing if such a thing exists, and where I might look for it, so here I am asking.

Anyone got a suggestion to offer?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I found some programs on this site that might do what you want.

http://vgaplanets.htk.fi/html/download.htm

Here is the readme doc for one of the files. There a number of other computer player downloads also. I have never played the game so I do not know if this is what you are looking for.

CPLAYER
A Computer Player For VGA Planets 3
very first test release

July 25, 1993

-------------------------------------

Alpha Test 3: released August 22, 1993
Version 3.00 Beta Test released December 11, 1993
Version 3.02 released January 25, 1994

The CPlayer will not play a players turn if a
TRN is in the game directory already.

----------------------------------------

This program was made possible by all you great folks
that registered VGA Planets, Thanks!

This program was written in Microsoft Basic PDS 7.1

By:

Tim Wisseman
PO Box 204
North Fork
CA 93643
USA

The Tim Continuum BBS (209) 877-4921

--------------------------------------------------------

What is CPLAYER?

CPLAYER is a simple fuzzy logic based computer player for
VGA Planets 3. It plays with the intelligence of an
average eight year old humanoid.

CPLAYER accesses the host data files directly so that there
is no need for RST or TRN files.

CPLAYER can only be run on the host system.

If a TRN from a human player is given to the HOST.EXE in the
same turn that the CPLAYER plays that same race the
HOST.EXE will accept both the CPLAYER's moves and the human's
TRN file. This will cause strange things to happen, such as
two ships to be built on a starbase or negative numbers to
appear in the game. This will cause the player's empire to
explode.

-------------------------------------------------------------

How do I use CPLAYER?

CPLAYER needs to be placed in the same directory as HOST.EXE

CPLAYER must be run before host is run.

It will accept a path to the game data

The path must be followed by a switch "/" and the number(s)
of the races that CPLAYER will play.

Player 10 is "a"

player 11 is "b"

CPLAYER [path] /[123456789ab][*]

If a "*" is added to the end of the command line, the
cplayer will not buy tech levels above tech 6 on all it's
star bases.

---------------

For Example:

My HOST.EXE and CPLAYER.EXE is in the C:\PLANETS directory.

My game data is in the C:\PLANETS\GAME1 directory

I want the computer to play race 1 race 3 and race 10.

I would run from the C:\PLANETS directory:

CPLAYER game1 /13a
HOST game1

---------------

------------------------------------------------------------

If CPLAYER has a fatal error and does not complete it
will return a DOS ERRORLEVEL 1.
(If you don't know what this means, don't worry about it)

You can start using CPLAYER any time during a game. It
will take a few turns before it begins to understand what
is going on.

You can also stop using CPLAYER on any race any time
and hand control back to a human user.

* When starting a new game delete BRAIN?.HST and BRAIN??.HST *
* from the game data directory, or else the computer player will *
* be very confused. *

There are three reasons that I think of to use CPLAYER

1. Practice games with just you and the computer

2. When starting a game on a BBS system and the just are
not enough human players CPLAYER can play a race
until a human joins and takes over the race.

3. If a player quits the game CPLAYER can then take over.

------------------------------------------------------------

Bugs fixed in this version:

1. BUG: The CPLAYER deleted everybody elses messages by mistake.

This has been fixed.

2. BUG: Cplayer Ships without fuel that are in tow to be captured
gained fuel by magic and attack or fly away.

This has been fixed.

3. Cplayer ships could make torps and fighters in deep space
as if by magic.

They can no longer do that. They must return to a base.

4. ***BIG BUG*** The Cplayer could make enemy fuel dumps and
mineral storage sites EXPLODE!

Version 3.01 Bug fixes:

1. The jumping ship bug.

Version 3.02

1. New ships sent out with very little or no fuel bug.

2. The "*" low tech switch added.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Madam Broshkina, that'll looks like it'll work if I can't find something less ... manual.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Thanks, Madam Broshkina, that'll looks like it'll work if I can't find something less ... manual.
Well, instead of Cplayer, you might try ACP (advanced ....?) Which is what was in my old vgaplanets directory when I just looked. It is slightly manual to set up, but once set up the game plays ok. But I've never found any of the computer players worked very well, as in, were very challenging. Last time I played, I think I let all the computer players have a 15 or 20 turn head start.

Dunno exactly where you'd find it after all these years, but I could send you a copy if you don't find it elsewhere, its a 174k zip file.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

Thanks, Darqref -- I'll see what "the" Google can turn up on it for me.
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Oooo. Looks like "the" Google rolled a hard six straight off: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Star...34/addons.html

I'm going to be spending some time going through that one.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #7
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Oooo. Looks like "the" Google rolled a hard six straight off: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Star...34/addons.html

I'm going to be spending some time going through that one.
I found another directory that had a later game, and in that game I used a computer player called "the Q". don't know if there are others, but none of them can really duplicate a human player's thought. Cplayer and ACP both use cheats that beam money and materials around, but even so they don't make terribly rational decisions.

On the other hand, I suppose it can't be any worse than playing solitaire.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Basically, yeah: Solitaire with proton torpedoes.