Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Jerry Pournelle has a Kindle

Science fiction author and former 'Byte' computer columnist Jerry Pournelle has a new Amazon Kindle. His initial comments are on his current column/blog Computing at Chaos Manor, January 29th.

Quote:
Whether it's worth the money depends how much of your life is involved in carrying books around and reading them. I know in my case I am very glad to have it: I won't ever be caught in a waiting room without a book to read, because I am loading the Kindle up with older mysteries (priced from half a buck up) and books I always intended to read (most of those are free) and I'll have that selection with me wherever I go.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I used to devour "Chaos Manor" back in the day. I hadn't thought of that in years. Thanks for the link. I wonder if Jerry is still getting tons of computer stuff for free like he did in the old days?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Neat! Anybody here know him well enough to invite him to Mobileread? He might appreciate another source for books and information. Info such as the keypad hints, etc.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddorfdeb View Post
Neat! Anybody here know him well enough to invite him to Mobileread? He might appreciate another source for books and information. Info such as the keypad hints, etc.
I dropped him a note. We'll see.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Peter Glaskowsky (a member here I think) is a Chaos Manor Advisor, so I'd expect J.P. to be aware of Mobileread, even if he's not a member. Given the recent discussion about eBooks and readers on Chaos Manor (see the current mailbag) perhaps he should be...

Cheers, Peter.
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm surprised that someone who has used computers as long as he has could so consistently screw up the text of his blog. There is one character he keeps using that doesn't show up properly.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm surprised that someone who has used computers as long as he has could so consistently screw up the text of his blog. There is one character he keeps using that doesn't show up properly.
I was thinking the same thing. I was taking a look around and going "Man... this website looks like something from 1996...."
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's because the HTML-Code is a bit messed up.
Code:
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<title>Chaos Manor Reviews  Column 330, Part 2, January 29, 2008</title>
<meta httpequiv="ContentType" content="text/html; charset=iso88591" />
See? The browser doesn't know which charset to use, in my case (Firefox) it uses ISO-8859-1, which is the wrong one for that website. When I switch to UTF-8 manually the messed up characters are transformed to – (en dash)
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
petermillard
Evangelist

FWIW, the "Sony's eBook Store begins "stocking" Short Stories!" news story on the Mobileread home page has the same problem...
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thanks, Peter. It's that pesky quotation mark. I tworks fine in most circumstances, but not on our front page.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote