Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Not my genre of book so I did not read this one. No sense getting started on a series that I will never continue with.

Still here is a link to an approximately one hour interview with Patrick Rothfuss if anyone is interested. http://www.wpr.org/rueckert/
Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #32
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I went into this book not particularly enthused, but still curious about a book I knew absolutely nothing about, aside from the fact that it was "fantasy" and the short blurb in the vote thread. I prefer going into books knowing as little as possible so that they can reveal themselves to me at their own pace, so I didn't bother learning anything more about it before reading.

The book started very slowly. I rolled my eyes a few times here and there at the writing. I didn't know where this was taking me, but I was imagining it was leading to mostly a lot of fighting and swords and black iron-hating demons and grand magic and this red-haired guy who is extremely arrogant doing everything perfectly.

But I pressed through.

In my mind, the book doesn't really start until Kvothe's troupe all die. The rest before that is like a very extended and slow prologue. I was finally pulled in during that scene though, finding it and his subsequent time in the woods very dreamlike in description. My imagination was finally intrigued.

Once he got to Tarbean, I realised I was wrong about this book. Yes, Kvothe is definitely arrogant at times, but this is not a book about a perfect hero. Far from it. He makes stupid mistakes sometimes. He doesn't do the noble thing sometimes. He lies, often. And I saw this book wasn't going to be some generic fantasy fighting epic but a gritty, "realistic" account of this kid's very hard (and very exceptional) life so far. Rothfuss did a great job making him human despite his exceptional abilities, and that made me really start to care for him as I read.

Once he got to the university, I was hooked. I loved the story. My favourite part of the entire book was the mini-arc from him deciding to try to go the university to the climax of him getting himself admitted. I was completely captivated reading that section and my heart leapt for joy for him when the masters finally voted him in.

The clincher of loving this book for me was the sense of humour in the story. I don't read much intense fantasy like this but I expected it to be ultra-serious and sombre. Instead Kvothe was often witty and self-deprecating and the mood of the story often took a light-hearted turn. I still groaned at some of the more forced witticisms, especially between him and Denna, but overall I found the humour in the book to be very endearing.

One other point I wanted to touch on was the unpredictability of it all. I loved it. Rothfuss is great at weaving little mysteries and hints all over in a complex way, but by the time that it's time to reveal something, you've already forgotten about the hint he'd left and so it seems a total surprise.

The writing is not perfect and though this ends up being a very good story, I feel like if he'd taken a little more time fine-tuning some parts then it could've been truly masterful. But that's quibbling. I really enjoyed it. I came in to this series only for the one book-club selection but now I'm happily staying for the whole shebang.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #33
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I Really enjoyed this book, I am really bad with any kind of analysis or review so that's about all I can say. I will read the next in the series when it comes out
The second is out. The third is not yet.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #34
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
The second is out. The third is not yet.
I read the second when it came out, actually read them both 3 or 4 months ago. I had no idea this was up for the book club. I thought the book club books were only public domain books. It was good though, one of those rare books I just can't put down.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #35
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Just finished reading it a couple of days ago and loved it.

I really got transferred into the world of Kvothe, just like it happened while reading "The Sheepfarmer's Daughter" by Elizabeth Moon. However, I enjoyed "The Name of the Wind" even more, since it does not contain all those battle scenes and descriptions of army life, but rather plays in a civilian world I can relate to better.

And now I am on the Library waiting list for Book # 2
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #36
salomejones
salomejones began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm still reading it. I've heard good things about it. I like the style of the writing and it's pretty suspenseful so far. I'll post more when I finish it.

Last edited by dreams; 08-16-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: [edit of promotional link- moderation]
salomejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #37
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've just started reading the next book in the series. Very interesting so far.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have 130 pages to go.

It did slow down at the bit when Kvothe found out about the wedding but picked back up after he got to the place the wedding massacre happened.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #39
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Overall, I loved them both (2 so far, right?). Though it feels a bit too many secrets and old legends and relatively lacking in answers. Even if we are given a (partial) explanation, it opens next layer of secrets/legends/clues.

When I think about that book, I remember scenes with music (with HUGE enjoyment) and then bits of everything else...and by the time next installment comes out, I've forgotten all those little clues and encounters.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #40
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
I've been listening to the audiobook (I'm on Wise Man's Fear now) while working on a painting. The leisurely, drawn-out pace seems to fit well, as the painting is taking a very long time. I feel like I can't really say anything about it as a whole until the story is actually finished, but I'm enjoying the listen. (Haven't got to the fairy sex part yet!)

I notice that Rothfuss consistently uses "lay" instead of "laid." Like "he lay his hand on my arm." And he even says "lying his clothes across the back of the chair." It's very odd. I hear people using "lay" when it should be "lie" all the time, but this is the other way around.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #41
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I wrapped up the audiobook today, with mixed feelings. The 'tale' was quite engaging for the most part, but the framing story was insufferable up until the very end, when at least one character (Vast) took on some hint of a third dimension. Whenever the framing story intruded on the 'tale,' usually in the form of some clever commentary from adult Kvothe, it decidedly detracted.

I didn't have any issue with Kvothe's money troubles, which seem to have annoyed other readers; to me, both the way he dwelt on his finances and the ways he opted to spend his limited resources were a remarkably realistic legacy of his time on the streets.

Easily the best scene in the novel was Kvothe playing for his pipes--narrating music effectively is an admirable accomplishment, and begins to make up for the lanterns hung from every third paragraph throughout the remainder of the story.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #42
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
I liked the first book and am enjoying the second. I just wish that the title (Wise Man's Fear) didn't trigger Elvis crooning in my head, "Wise men say, only fools rush in...." And Denna reminds me enormously of Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffanys.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #43
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
And Denna reminds me enormously of Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffanys.
I can totally see that
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well, I finally finished this today. I sort of gave my review in the what are you reading thread, but I'll repeat it here...

I rated this book a 3 of 5 stars in Library Thing. Basically, that means it was not a bad book and had some good parts... but nothing great, not a book I would recommend if someone said "what's a great Fantasy book that I should read".

The book started a bit slow and it was disjointed. It seemed to come together a bit when the chronicler got there and Kovothe said he would tell him his story.

But, to me the book dragged here... it was a bit slow. And while there was a bit of interesting stuff it never really grabbed me. The time when he lived on the streets in the city were just a bit boring to me.

Once he got to the University in the story I think it got really good. The interaction with the Masters during his admissions was quite funny. The bit about when Kovothe took over Heme's class was great and moved very well.

However, how stupid do you have to be to realize you don't take a candle into a place with nothing but books and paper dust. I guess that was to show how naive he was then, but come on, really? He even knew the guy had it out for him, people don't change their spots that quickly.

Needless to say I will not be listening to the rest of Kovothe's story.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #45
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
However, how stupid do you have to be to realize you don't take a candle into a place with nothing but books and paper dust. I guess that was to show how naive he was then, but come on, really? He even knew the guy had it out for him, people don't change their spots that quickly.
Wasn't he dopey from some drug at the time?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote