Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
licopodicum
licopodicum began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Kindle charge before first usage

Hello,

What happens if somebody does not charge Kindle fully before first usage?
licopodicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Well I didn't charge my Kindle till about 10 days after I got it lol. I'm sure I'll have replaced it before any damage to the battery becomes apparent.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #3
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
In any case, the first charge needn't take all that long. I got my husband a Kindle recently and charged it up, connected it to wi-fi and downloaded lots of books so that he could immediately use it when he got it. The whole thing took about 5 hours.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
rickomuer
Enthusiast
rickomuer began at the beginning.

Device: none
I got a DXG yesterday and the complete charge was about 3~3.5 hours. I do not see a problem with it to be honest.
rickomuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by licopodicum View Post
Hello,

It is not as critical as it used to be with older batteries, so I wouldn't worry about it. The critical things that will prolong the life of Lithium-Ion batteries is not letting them get fully discharged or overcharged. See here.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
It is not as critical as it used to be with older batteries, so I wouldn't worry about it. The critical things that will prolong the life of Lithium-Ion batteries is not letting them get fully discharged or overcharged. See here.
Hot lava, that's a good read. Thank you for that link.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm pretty sure the Kindles are fully charged when leaving the factory. Mine came with almost 100% charge, and I didn't recharge it until it was more than 50% down. It's almost a year old, and still works just fine.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Hot lava, that's a good read. Thank you for that link.
You are welcome. A few years back I wanted to learn more about battery charging and tripped across a forum devoted to that.

Can you believe it, an entire forum devoted to a silly little bit of electronics?

Good thing we aren't so nerdy..... wait a minute...
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I had a concern about the battery not long ago myself, and found out from others here that the Kindle battery apparently doesn't have 'memory' problems like some batteries do. Or so some of them said in their postings. My only problem is that I get to playing games on it and it drains too fast. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
seajay
seajay began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Hello,

my kindle paperwhite was delivered some days ago. i didnt charge it fully before i did the registration and bought a book. i had read some pages from the book before i resumed the charging. i also noticed that the batterry icon had some spaces even though the charging light has turned green.

i reduced my brightness to slightly less than half and re-charged it. when it turned green, i checked and the battery icon showed full.

i recommend you reduce the brightness before you charge. can the battery really last for 8days ?
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
It's a good idea to fully charge the Kindle so it can calibrate it's guage and give you a more accurate reading. There's no real reason that I know of to do that before you use it. Just don't put too much trust in the gauge until you do.

Memory problems were common in the days of NiCad batteries. If you constantly discharge them to about the same point and then charge them that would become the new low point for the battery. That could be avoided by doing one or two fairly complete discharges followed by a full charge every month or two.

Other kinds of rechargeable batteries don't have that problem. NiMH batteries are hurt by complete discharges. Lithium ion batteries aren't much affected by any of this.

If you google Battery University you can find a lot of information about this and on how to best care for a l-ion battery. They have charts that show that charging it more often rather than letting it get well discharged gives more overall battery life. But the differences are small. These seem to be fairly rugged batteries.

Of course a total discharge is very bad for any battery.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Hello,

It will be empty sooner
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote