Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
kiana904
kiana904 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Should I take the plunge or wait some more months to get my first eReader?

I am dying to get my first ereader... but can't decide if now is the right time to get one of these gadgets. I have narrowed down my choices to Nook, Sony & Kobo. Sony does not have wifi and the sony store is limited. Besides their eReaders are also pricier; which is somewhat a disadvantage for me. I liked the design, look and colored screen of the Nook. But I have read several posts that it is heavy, thick and does not work very well in Canada. I have not had a chance to look at one of these in a US Store, so am basing my impression on what I am seeing and reading online. Last but not the least, there is Kobo with their new wifi device. I have mixed feelings about this. The price seemed to be still high for a device that doesn't have touch screen. How will you order books online? Will checking basic email be available? It is not needed but can come in handy at times... would be a great plus. The biggest advantage of the Kobo is there are no questions that this device will work in Canada. It can be used for library materials and Chapters / Borders offer a nice variety of choices as well for ebooks. With all the new releases and improvements coming out within a few months of releasing a new and improved eReader by all these different companies, I am wary of investing on something now and finding out later that the next release is better and cheaper than what I bought originally.

So, the question is.... do I take the plunge now or is it worth a few more months' wait to see what the features and other things these competing ereader companies have to offer? Anyone knows if prices will drop next year? or if the Kobo might come up with a sleeker, more improved version of their ereader (w/ touchscreen and colored screen perhaps?
kiana904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If those are your choices you might want to wait a bit:
- The new Kobo was just announced but its not shipping
- The Sonys are currently selling at list price; wait a bit and they'll start getting discounted once reality sets in
- The rumors about Nook2 are still out there

More importantly, the business is in pretty big turmoil right now and prices will be in flux for at least another year so if you're not going to get good heavy use out of the reader right away it is best to wait.

Best guideline I know for when to buy electronic gadgets is "Buy when it hurts not to".

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-30-2010 at 02:28 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
I'm pretty newish here too but I did read on the kobo site that you can buy books to transfer over to the Sony ereaders too

http://www.kobobooks.com/ade

They only have the older models listed but I'll assume (and probably make as A$$ of myself) that they'll support the PRS350 & PRS650 too (hopefully someone can confirm that)

that being said I pre-ordered the Kobo2 and I'll probably either buy one of the two new Sony models tomorrow. I'm still up in the air now with the Kindle3 as I'm worried about geo-restrictions though but it does seem like amazon.com does have a great selection of ebooks.

Welcome too

Fiona
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, kiana904
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
You can wait, but you may well be waiting forever! You simply have to pick a time (when you have the money) and jump in. There is ALWAYS something new coming down the pipeline.

Now as for your 3 choices...If you buy a Nook, you will be locking yourself into always having to purchase from B&N. If you decide that you want a Sony later on, you will NOT be able to transfer any of your DRM books purchased from B&N onto your Sony reader.

I have a Sony PRS-600 & love it. I am not locked into Sony for books, I haven't bought one from them yet. You will be able to buy books from any online store that sells epubs & pdfs that utilize Adobe Digital Editions. (With the exception of B&N)

I couldn't care less about wifi, and from what I hear it drains the battery pretty quickly. I'm not in such a hurry that I can't wait to download my book to my pc (where I can back it up) and sideload it onto my reader. Nor do I really want the distraction of emails or anything else when I am reading.

So just pick a reader that you'll be happy with & get to reading.

Welcome to MobileReads Kiana!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Kiana!

Last year there were some great sales Thanksgiving weekend and also in mid-December.

I assume that you are in the US. If so, I would wait until then. That's what I did last year, and I'm glad I did.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
McNutt
McNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
If you buy a Nook, you will be locking yourself into always having to purchase from B&N.
That's only true for B&N books. Nook owners have the option to buy from other sources too.
McNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
kiana904
kiana904 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks a lot for all your responses and warm welcome! Based on the responses, waiting it out is probably a good option.... (although I am truly dying to get my hands on one of these devices)... crossing my fingers that my patience will hold on and pay out.... I will continue to read the threads in this forum. I'm so glad I found this site!

Btw, I am currently located in Canada... which is why I am looking at eReaders that will work in Canada. I have a friend that lives in the US where I can ship my purchase if I go the Nook route... but concerned that the device is not a good choice at the moment...
kiana904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Kiana, since you live in Canada, let me suggest that you keep your eye on newegg.ca when it comes to sales. You might want to get on their email list.

Let me also suggest that you not make a choice without considering the jetBook Lite (which I bought from newegg). If you shop at Costco, you might also want to take a look at the Aluratek Libre.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
You can wait, but you may well be waiting forever! You simply have to pick a time (when you have the money) and jump in. There is ALWAYS something new coming down the pipeline.

Now as for your 3 choices...If you buy a Nook, you will be locking yourself into always having to purchase from B&N. If you decide that you want a Sony later on, you will NOT be able to transfer any of your DRM books purchased from B&N onto your Sony reader.

I have a Sony PRS-600 & love it. I am not locked into Sony for books, I haven't bought one from them yet. You will be able to buy books from any online store that sells epubs & pdfs that utilize Adobe Digital Editions. (With the exception of B&N)

I couldn't care less about wifi, and from what I hear it drains the battery pretty quickly. I'm not in such a hurry that I can't wait to download my book to my pc (where I can back it up) and sideload it onto my reader. Nor do I really want the distraction of emails or anything else when I am reading.

So just pick a reader that you'll be happy with & get to reading.

Welcome to MobileReads Kiana!

ok this full of misinformation. The Nook supports epub and you can actually buy books from wait for it...........Sony's bookstore as well, from Fictionwise, Kobo/Borders, lend books from your local library as WeLL as having BN as your platform bookstore.

as far as your concern about it's weight. Well it weighs 11 oz, about the same as 400 page Tradepaperback. It's light trust me. Is it heavier than the Kobo or sony sure but that doesn't make it heavy. 11 oz is light.

the wireless is wonderful. Sony's are pretty nice as well but they just don't get it pricing wise. They really don't they are waaay overpriced as compared to what is out there.
I don't understand that company.

Last edited by boswd; 09-30-2010 at 11:08 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
ok this full of misinformation. The Nook supports epub and you can actually buy books from wait for it...........Sony's bookstore as well, from Fictionwise, Kobo/Borders, lend books from your local library as WeLL as having BN as your platform bookstore.
Which makes the Nook the most versatile ereader of the group. A big plus for the Nook.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which makes the Nook the most versatile ereader of the group. A big plus for the Nook.
Does anyone know if the Nook can be ordered and shipped to Canada from B&N or would it need to be directed to a US address 1st and then shipped to Canada

Not that I'm interested in buying one of course
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
Does anyone know if the Nook can be ordered and shipped to Canada from B&N or would it need to be directed to a US address 1st and then shipped to Canada

Not that I'm interested in buying one of course
Check this post and thread out at another board:

What's the deal with international use?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would not buy an e-reader without WiFi or 3G connectivity. One of the nicest things about my Kindle is that I can download books from anywhere without a computer. It is not difficult to buy a book on the computer and transfer it to the Kindle/Sony/Nook/Kobo, it takes seconds but there are times when you don't have your computer with you and you want to download a book.

Yes, I used to have to wait to buy a book at a book store when I wanted one but I am spoiled by my K3. No computer? No problem, look I have my book.

This is the biggest downside with the Sonys. That and the price.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
I am in a boat very similar to yours and have waited nearly 2 and 1/2 years for something to say "I'm it - buy me now" and and a price that doesn't hurt too much. Of course prices have dropped by nearly half since I started looking at these toys* so I have finally decided.

My decision is for the Sony 650 because I want the touch screen, but I am waiting for the US's Black Friday Sales to do it. This should allow for Asus, Kobo, or anybody else to have their offerings out for the holiday season and hopefully prevent me from saying "if only I had known", but gives a definite date for actually making the purchase. It should also allow for the Sony readers and accessories to go on a sale so maybe I can get the reader, a cover, and shipping for $225. Newegg.com is where I will first check on Black Friday and Best Buy after that. While Canada doesn't have Black Friday sales your US friends may be able to help out or perhaps the holiday sales will be enough. Good luck!

* I count my smart phone, mp3 player, nicer computer video card, and similar upgraded items as "toys" so this is not meant to insulting to anyone who considers their reader to be necessary to life as I'm sure I will after having it for a week.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote