Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
Armaell
Armaell began at the beginning.

Device: None
Italic missing with Sans font

Hi all.

Recently I noticed that Calibre applied sans-serif font to conversions to PDF (I'm doing epub->pdf)
Then I found you can choose between serif, sans and mono.

Since then I'm appliying Sans to the conversions.
But I noticed today that using Sans do not keep the italic style to the text. While Serif do.

I suppose I lack the italic file of the sans font.
How do I correct that, or replace the font with a complete set.

(I would like to avoid embedding a custom font in the epub just for the sake of the pdf conversion)

Thank you for your help
Armaell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaell View Post
Hi all.

Recently I noticed that Calibre applied sans-serif font to conversions to PDF (I'm doing epub->pdf)
Then I found you can choose between serif, sans and mono.

Since then I'm appliying Sans to the conversions.
But I noticed today that using Sans do not keep the italic style to the text. While Serif do.

I suppose I lack the italic file of the sans font.
How do I correct that, or replace the font with a complete set.

(I would like to avoid embedding a custom font in the epub just for the sake of the pdf conversion)

Thank you for your help
Try your PDF on the device. (and with a real PDF viewer)

Basic Font support is mainly from the device
Bold and Italic (of a default font face) seem pretty basic to me

BTW your EPUB did pass validation? (sans?)
font-family: sans-serif;
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Armaell

Getting weirder then !

Since the italic don't show up :
- Chrome embedded pdf viewer
- Windows 8 stock pdf viewer
- a couple of Android Viewer

If it can help, a test file :
Original epub : http://armaell.fr/cloud/index.php/s/ewBKrh4UU5bEBcU
Converted pdf : http://armaell.fr/cloud/index.php/s/6rcLFfgqtnD3WOu (ignore the blank cover, go page 2)

With no particular options in the conversion on fonts apart the setting for sans font.

And yes, one of my first reflex have been to force italic by css, or the font-family.

Thank you for trying to help ^^
Old 11-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply change the font used for sans in the PDF Output section of the conversion dialog to something you are sure you have the complete font for. Liberation Sans is a safe choice.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:34 AM   #5
Armaell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Simply change the font used for sans in the PDF Output section of the conversion dialog to something you are sure you have the complete font for. Liberation Sans is a safe choice.
Woah. That's when you understand you asked the dumbest of questions...
That's exactly what I was searching... I browsed through all the options ten time and I have been totally oblivious at the option just above the selector [serif,sans,mono] I was using...

*Go hide himself*

Thank you for you help. x) ^^

Tags
italic, pdf, sans