Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #31
spitecho
spitecho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT Black
This works perfectly on the new black non-touch. Installs and uninstalls without a hitch. Thanks!
spitecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #32
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Wow. Niluje does debugging by "Remote Psychic Divining", There's a hackaday in that
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #33
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Ha!

Good to know I got it right the second time .

(I'm also pretty sure we can shave a reboot off the whole thing [straight to main after the first boot in diags], but, hey, if it's not broken, don't fix it ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
if it's not broken, don't fix it ^^).
Arrrmen to that...

But "tweak" it, well....

Heh
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #35
Kalja
Kalja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
@NiLuJe - great job, if you want to test sth. new on the K4NTB - just give me a sign
Kalja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #36
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kalja: Thanks! But, no, you should be able to enjoy your new device in peace . With the release of FW 3.4, my trusty old K3G is nearly identical to a K4, software-wise, so, I'm good .
Old 09-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Updated to v1.4.N with a few tweaks to make it more robust. If it happened to break everything, please do shout at me .
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Minor update to v1.5.N to keep in sync with the K5 JailBreak... (Minor model detection fixes).
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #39
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
Is there a list of those 'update' packages? That will help...
, waterlubber
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
Is there a list of those 'update' packages? That will help...
, waterlubber
Have you tried the K4 index page in the master index?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #41
TornIdiots
TornIdiots began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (2012)
Using .rar vs .gz, and unzipped vs zipped for step 1

I have a quick question. Do you actually unzip the data.tar file before copying the files over to the root in step 1 of the Kindle 4 Jailbreak (following the method on the Wiki)?

For me, since my default zipping program is Winrar, the file only shows up as data.tar, not data.tar.gz. Should I rename it? And once again, would I use the unzipped file or the archived file for copying into the root directory?

Currently, I renamed it by adding the .gz and copied the archived/zipped file over. I got the diagnostics, but when I get to selecting 'Q > To continue' nothing happens (it should restart).

For now it seems I'm stuck in daignostics mode. I was able to use the USB test to connect the device to get it to show up as a drive on my laptop to delete the files I had copied in (just connecting by usb wasn't showing the Kindle drive), but even after deleting the files and attempting to reboot the system via a hard reset I'm still stuck in diags mode. However, if I can solve the above and use the usb test to copy in hte files correctly I feel I may be able to jailbreak properly. Otherwise, I need to figure out how to get out of diags.

I have the 4.1.0 version, and got rid of Special Offers. TEQUILA System Diags says number 1.0.6.210

Last edited by TornIdiots; 11-04-2012 at 10:38 PM.
TornIdiots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornIdiots View Post
I have a quick question. Do you actually unzip the data.tar file before copying the files over to the root in step 1 of the Kindle 4 Jailbreak (following the method on the Wiki)?

For me, since my default zipping program is Winrar, the file only shows up as data.tar, not data.tar.gz. Should I rename it? And once again, would I use the unzipped file or the archived file for copying into the root directory?

Currently, I renamed it by adding the .gz and copied the archived/zipped file over. I got the diagnostics, but when I get to selecting 'Q > To continue' nothing happens (it should restart).

I have the 4.1.0 version, and got rid of Special Offers. TEQUILA System Diags says number 1.0.6.210
Good choice of a nickname.

Change your system preferences to show all file extensions.

Do not unzip the file.

Do not rename the file.

There is no un-rar program installed on the Kindle.

The extensions to filenames in *nix are not significant to the system, the system identifies file types by "magic number".
But scripting very often does go by filename patterns, in this case the update scripting does.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #43
TornIdiots

Thanks

But my main problem first is I'm stuck in diag mode. I replaced the files so now only the original files of what I had before attempting the jailbreak are in the root folder, but it does add its own diagnostics_logs folder (which is empty). I'm wondering why now that I've replaced the files properly a hard reboot doesn't work and lands me back with diags mode.

The only wrong thing I did was rename the file data.tar.gz (instead of what it showed up as on my laptop 'data.tar')

Is there a good de-bricking meta thread so I can read more about how to get out of diags?

Last edited by TornIdiots; 11-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #44
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You need an XML file in that diagnostics_logs folder, before you can disable diags.
Beware that your battery can completely discharge while sitting in diags mode, so it is wise to keep in on a charger.

The first diag in the main diag menu will create the missing file (and folder, if needed). Then you can disable diags in the exit menu, which will reboot to main.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #45
TornIdiots

Yeah, I was fooling around with the usb mode and looking around in diags mode to see what there was. I did get that comment saying the .xml was missing, which I realized I had deleted in order to attmpt to replace the files with the originals, but when you delete things from other drives they don't go to your recycle bin...so I just figured I could create it through diags.

I did a dump and some stuff too so I created a report as well, which I don't think would indicate what my problem was anyway. Regardless, despite plugging it in and out, I just plugged it back in so that it wouldn't die from diags mode and literally a minute ago it just randomly booted back up by itself and it's back like it was before. I'm not sure if this means everything is perfectly fine, or if there is an unseen corruption/missing file. Anyway, I feel like it should be fine. I'll use it a bit and if it's fine I guess I'll try the jailbreak again. I'm not even going for anything too fancy, jsut screensavers and perhaps a few apps.

Thanks for caring guys <(^_^)>

Last edited by TornIdiots; 11-05-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Tags
jailbreak, k4nt