Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Sitting up at home reading I use my Kindle. When reading in bed I use my phone. It is a convenience thing. It is easier in bed to read on the phone then on the Kindle.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #17
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Never ever do I read on the phone (3,5" screen). On rare occasions I read on my 7" Nook Color (rooted, only used as a tablet). When going somewhere where I suspect I might have time to read my Sony 350 comes with me in one of the covers (I have both the lighted and non-lighted - unless I know I'll need light I prefer the super slim non-lighted).
I'm so happy to have the 350, because I'm not sure I'd be as happy bringing a bigger reader since I don't carry a big handbag.
I'm not at all surprised to hear that phones are more common than readers. I spent quite a lot of time on US airports and other waiting areas this summer, and saw very few eInk-devices. After all, the phone is so much better at almost everything besides book reading. Personally I prefer reading a book to playing a game or surfing the web while waiting, so I choose not to get a larger screen phone and stick with my current phone and the 350.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The article makes perfect sense to me. There's obviously way more smartphone owners than tablet owners, so why wouldn't there be more smart-phone readers than tablet readers? Easily believable.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Sitting up at home reading I use my Kindle. When reading in bed I use my phone. It is a convenience thing. It is easier in bed to read on the phone then on the Kindle.
I read for many, many years on PDAs. These last few years my near-sight has deteriorated to the point that I find it extremely difficult to read on a small screen, so I never read on my iPhone. That's just a consequence of being extremely short-sighted, as I am; you tend to lose your close-up vision when you reach middle age.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I started off reading on my PSP which worked really well apart from the extreme hassle of converting the books to .txt files, I loved the trigger buttons changing pages though.

Then started to read on my iPod Touch it's amazing how many books I read on that tiny screen, then I bought my first proper reader the T1, since then I've attempted to read a few on my phone but I just can't do it anymore after the e-ink.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I know quite a few people who read on their smartphones exclusively. So many people have smartphones. It's just a lot of people to draw from.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
When I plan to read, I carry my Kindle. When I catch a few minutes of unplanned time for read, well, there is the Kindle App on my phone.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Most people read less than 4 books a year. It's not hard to believe that those people are comfortable doing their occasional reading on a smartphone.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #24
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Benefits of a smartphone: people always have them on hand.

Benefits of an ereader with a reflective display: sunlight readability and battery life.

Benefits of a tablet: easier to use for fixed format documents.

The type of reading that people do and their reading habits will dictate the type of device that they read on, because each type of devices has its benefits and drawbacks. Personally I use a combination of a tablet and an ereader with an eInk display. One is for large format documents, the other is for fiction (and certain non-fiction). When I lived in a place that had cell service, I used the phone for reading too. Of course, most people will prefer a single device to do their reading so they will choose one or the other. I'm not in the least bit surprised that cell phones would top the list because of the convenience factor.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #25
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
The smart phone is like a Swiss Army Knife.

eReader, phone, camera, web browser, calculator, notepad, etc. Like the Swiss Army Knife, no one tool is the best possible tool for the purpose, but it is a multipurpose tool that is always in your pocket.

My DSLR is a far better camera, but I still take some shots on my smartphone because I don't always have my DSLR with me.

My Galaxy Note screen is 5.3" - comparable to some ereaders so I use it for ereading all the time.
I completely agree with eerything said here, except that I do not have a dslr and would like to point out the Note is lso a very usuable gps/navigation device.
As an areader on a well tuned app I can easily read from my Note for an hour or longer.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
llopez
llopez began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia E72
I don't have a Kindle or any tablet for reading epubs so I always use my smartphone. For me it's convenient - I don't have to carry around a tablet. But sometimes I think of getting a basic Kindle reader for Christmas. Then again, I'm only resorting to ebooks for now for lack of funds but I still plan to buy books.
llopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llopez View Post
Then again, I'm only resorting to ebooks for now for lack of funds but I still plan to buy books.
Sure... that's what they all say. You start out with free public domain ebooks and the occasional illicit download of something newer and then—BAM! Suddenly you're mainlining retail ebooks like there's no tomorrow and wondering where it all went wrong. Get out while you still can. Stick to paper.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #28
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sure... that's what they all say. You start out with free public domain ebooks and the occasional illicit download of something newer and then—BAM! Suddenly you're mainlining retail ebooks like there's no tomorrow and wondering where it all went wrong. Get out while you still can. Stick to paper.

YOU! YOU! YOU! MASS MURDER OF TREES!!!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

They've had their heads in clouds long enough.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #30
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
24/7 is the overriding reason for using your phone for everything.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote